Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:17 am 
Wonderdog

hellpop wrote:
They would have to acquire the rights to those properties.

Duh... Even I knew that. You sure have a gift for stating the obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:12 pm 
active in the community

scottbernard wrote:
hellpop wrote:

You missed the part where he pointed out that most of the ones you listed got their START as toy lines, and are as such likely already tied up.

The guy knows his stuff...you'd do well to listen to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:58 pm 
Wonderdog

Toygeek wrote:
You missed the part where he pointed out that most of the ones you listed got their START as toy lines, and are as such likely already tied up.

It doesn't matter whether or not such properties started off as toy lines. If Marvel Toys was willing to license them, and the owner of the property or the holder of license was was willing to let Marvel Toys do them, and all parties came to an agreement on all other terms, then they can be made.

If no one bothers to ASK about the license just because they STARTED as toy lines then they will NEVER be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:44 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

The key is that the license to those characters that started as toys is OWNED by other toy companies that, if approached, would realize that there was a desire for the property and would choose to make the toys themselves. Those lines aren't owned by individuals but by the companies that made the toys in the first place. The cartoons you watched were 30 min commercials funded by the toy companies to sell thier products. Like G.I. Joe, owned by hasbro, they will license the likenesses to other media to promote the toy, but Hasbro owns the rights to the characters. The cartoons & comics were all advertisements for the toys.

In the case of those you mentioned, they were all owned by LJN, who sold out to Acclaim in the 90's. Acclaim has licensed out the characters to Wildstorm for comics before but they are notoriously difficult to work with on getting toy rights. They also own the rights to Quantum & Woody which I would love to see done. It was rumored a couple of years ago that they were shopping the Thundercats license around and that Mattel had acquired it but nothing's ever come from it if they did. Maybe Julius & the boys know where it stands. Anyway, is there a possibility we could see these in plastic form again, possibly but not likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:46 am 
Wonderdog

Fair enough, but again it really doesn't matter if it's an individual or a juridical entity that owns the rights to make the toys. If they/it are/is willing to assign them to someone like Marvel Toys for the right price, then they can be made.

Remember, this whole thing really just started from some wild speculation on my part, because I don't know what's going on and never claimed to know what's going on. Then again, judging by the responses to my post, all of you are just speculating as well.

So I guess what we can all agree on is that none of is really know either way. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:26 pm 
PVC

Is it possible for those of us who are not completely enamored with the current state of DC/Marvel to have one or two figure lines to call our own? Let's let Jesse get this get this line moving forward based on comic book characters before we start in on video game, comic strip, cartoon, and yes, even pulp characters. And yeah', I realize Conan is a pulp character. But I'd really prefer this to be a comic based line for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:21 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I just hope the plastic they use is much sturdier than the ones used in the last few batches of ML 13 & 14. That plastic was too soft .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:22 am 
Bob Vila

Toygeek wrote:
scottbernard wrote:
hellpop wrote:

Hey, thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:18 am 
Bob Vila

You can now preorder these from toysrus.com:

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=legendary%20heroes&origkw=legendary%20heroes&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

The two packs are not listed, however.

Post subject: PITT & gang hit denver!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 pm 
Well in case anyone here missed it, Denver Colorado Wal-Marts got some early shippments of the first Legendary Comic Book Heroes set, and it's become a bit of a stir.

I guess Wal-Mart wanted to test them to see how they were going to sell, but I don't know how that works when it will hardly represent their sales when they hit in full quantities, but at least it resulted in some early pics floating around on the net, and a few reviews.

First of all, they seem to be like the Marvel Legends of yor, before ToyBiz had their final melt down with the last 3 or 4 sets, and before Hasbro started to down grade them with their own unique meathods.

PITT is possibly the most killer BAF of all times! In fact he's so big, that may be his biggest flaw! He's nearly as tall as the Marvel Legends Icon HULK, and actually a lot "hulk"ier in preportion.
Waiting at Fwooshnet put up a side-by-side comparison pic on the last post of the forum page, so just scroll down to the bottom.

http://www.fwooshnet.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=120

On top of that, he has double jointed fingers, just like Savag Dragon, removable chains, and both a black and red paint wash to show off his detail!

It only takes 6 figures to make PITT compaired to the 8 you'd need to put Blob together, but the price per figure is about the same, so you can tell me which is the better BAF deal. :wink:

The other figures in the line look pretty dang good too, with a few odd issues like Witchblade's tiny mid-section, Dredd's gold paint is a little more orange, and probably the kind of nit-picky things you could find fault with on any older ML, but they still fill the hollow better compaired to the new Hasbro stuff IMO.

Anyway, heads up for those who are in the Denver area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:57 am 
Knows his stuff

Waiting took some really great pictures of all of them. The only one I want is Madman, but I cannot wait to find him! I hope this line sticks around long enough to get the Rocketeer and Reuben Flagg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:43 am 
Daniel Pickett

We're working on a feature for AFI as well. More soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:30 pm 
Cold-cast

so when do these show nation wide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:52 am 
Joint Unfreezer

I second that,I can't wait to pick these up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:31 am 
Found an entire endcap of these at the local walmart here in Spokane. For some reason Judge Death from series two and his variant are included.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next