Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Legendary Comic Book Heroes Want Lists!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:15 am 
Bob Vila

This line seems to have made the biggest splash at Toy Fair this year. I'm really excited about it, and I don't even like most of the characters in the first two waves! I thought that a want list thread would be a good compliment to the discussion thread, so here's mine, in decending order of want:

10. Invincible Probably the only recently created character you'll see on my list. But it's a good book, and he's a cool character. Atom Eve and other members of his cast would be nice as well.

9. Red Sonja I personally harken back to the classic Sonja, but the modern version is very similar. I'd guess she must be a definite for this line. Can't have a Conan without Red Sonja!

8. Cerebus I doubt this will happen, since Dave Sim is crazy, but because he's crazy there's always a chance. Cerebus might be too small for his own release, but he'd make a heckofa pack in (with Red Sonja?).

7. Mr. Monster Michael T. Gilbert's very fondly remembered character from Eclipse. He pops up from publishers every now and then, so this might not be a streach.

6. The Spirit He'd be higher if I didn't already have the Big Blast figure (which also is why Grendel isn't on my list, as that's my favorite figure of all time). I'm sure that the DC liscence doesn't cover merchendise. I'm sure this one has to be pretty likely.

5. American Flagg! Created by Howard Chaykin, this was one of the most popular and influential books of the early '80's. Somewhat forgotten now, much of this material has been republished recently. Reuben Flagg is a great character, and would make a great figure. I'd say he might be a little mature for a toy line, but he's like Mickey Mouse next to Marv and the Body Bags pair.

4. Zot! Scott McCloud's masterpiece. As Scott's still active in the industry, I'm sure that Zot! would be pretty easy to do.

3. Concrete Just returned to comics recently after a long hiatus, with more to come (supposedly). Might make for a good BAF, as he's roughly the size of the Thing (not that the Thing was ever a BAF...).

2. The Rocketeer Such an unbelievable no- brainer. It's a travesty that the Rocketeer has never had a toy, except for that big expensive one. Imagine a figure with a removable helmet and jet pack... I'm salivating. I bet this one happens.

1. Nexus My all time favorite comic book character! It kills me that I don't have a Nexus figure. I have to make do with Space Ghost! I'd love to see a box set with Judah, Sundra, Dave, Stan, Tyrone.... The only drawback is that Baron and Rude went with Shocker Toys before this line was even announced... sigh.

Would be on the list, but it's never gonna happen... Miracleman.

Box Set Besides the abovementioned dream Nexus box, the League of Extrodinary Gentlemen. Alan Moore and Kevin O' Neill recently took the property to Top Shelf, so it is definately not under DCD's control. Who knows about the rest of the ABC line....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:29 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I like this list a lot! Especially Cerebus. I would LOVE a figure of Cerebus! And of course Lord Julius. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:41 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I'd get Red Sonja and Cerebus! I think Groo would be a good (albiet strange) choice. I remember liking the Jon Sable books but he might be a little plain and obscure these days. I think the Danger Girl team would also be good for this line. Too bad Gen 13 is at DC now...

Post subject: Re: Legendary Comic Book Heroes Want Lists!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:13 am 
active in the community

hellpop wrote:
8. Cerebus I doubt this will happen, since Dave Sim is crazy...

Crazy enough that he doesn't WANT an action figure made of Cerebus. I even made the suggestion of a B&W variant that pitched proceeds to the CBLDF, and still no go.

Danger Girl's being published through Wildstorm, and the Spirit, though maybe possible, isn't likely. At least not through anybody that isn't DCD. Who wants to jerk your publisher around like that?

I'd KILL for a Rocketeer. I bought the Medicom one...single largest toy purchase I've ever made. Didn't have to think twice about it.

Nexus is currently at Shocker Toys.

Groo is...currently unavailable. Sr. Aragones told me that personally. Which makes me sad. I was pushing for a sub-set of figures from more "cartoony" comics like Groo, Penny Arcade, PvP, etc...though I'll admit, it mostly started because I was looking for an excuse to try and get a "Cardboard Tube Samurai" fig made.

One I wanna see made that I don't see mentioned nearly as much as I'd like is E-Man. I want an E-Man figure SO bad! But I'd actually want him to be a BAF. I know that sounds strange, but here's my thinking: beyond the head, the figure itself is pretty generic, body-wise. You can use mostly re-used parts. But making him as a BAF leaves you several places to get budget for all the little snap-on pieces and replacement parts you would need to do him right. You could even sneak in a little "energy form" ball. Then just include Nova in the wave itself, and I'm all set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:12 pm 
Bob Vila

There was a Cerebus plush doll several years ago, but that's about it. If Sim was going to do a Cerebus toy, he'd probably have gone to McFarlane. But, again, who knows with him....

Shame about Groo. I still think that the Spirit isn't that much of a long shot. The Eisner estate only licenses the publishing rights to DC. I'm sure they still have the freedom to do whatever they want.

E-Man would be an awesome choice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Love your list, hellpop!

>>E-Man would be an awesome choice!<<

Agreed!

Mike
(Though I'm guessin' that Marvel would have issues with a character named "Nova") :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:14 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

So I take it DC didn't buy ALL the Charlton characters?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject: Re: Legendary Comic Book Heroes Want Lists!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:16 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Toygeek wrote:
I was pushing for a sub-set of figures from more "cartoony" comics like Groo, Penny Arcade, PvP, etc...

So are you not pushing anymore? The Far Side, Liberty Meadows, Penny Arcade, PvP, Foxtrot, Mutts, etc. That line could be HUGE, man! :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:59 am 
MINT!

My Most Wanted are

10.Ultiman from Big Bang Comics

9.The Blitz from Big Bang Comics

8.Dr. Weird from Big Bang Comics

7.The Beacon from Big Bang Comics

6.The Iron Ghost from Image

5.Ant from Image Comics

4.Supreme from Liefeld

3.Magdalena with Spear of Destiny from Top Cow

2.Red Sonja

1.Magnus Robot Fighter

Howbout a comic version of Doctor Who from the old Marvel Comics?

That Rocketeer looks awsome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:12 am 
Cold-cast

Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot

Tell me this wouldn't make a killer BAF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:51 am 
Factory Worker

The Rocketeer is a must. I too bought the Medicom RAH figure and was my second most expensive toy related purchase.

I would so buy Magnus, XO, The Spirit, Nexus, LXG and The Archie Comic Book Heroes!

I'd like to see the characters from Top Cow's Common Grounds made, complete with a Common Grounds Donut Shop playset.

I may be in the minority but I'd also like to see Flaming Carrot and the Mystery Men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:19 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

mako wrote:
Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot

Tell me this wouldn't make a killer BAF!

Oooooohhh, I like that idea!

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:23 am 
active in the community

SDcomics wrote:
(Though I'm guessin' that Marvel would have issues with a character named "Nova")

Well, her name's actually "Katrinka Colchnzski" (yes, I had to look up how to spell it.) But when she met E-Man, she was an exotic dancer using the name "Nova Kane" (get it?) As for ownership, rights to the character were sold off to First about the same time as the rest went to DC. I honestly don't know why the split, but it's an interesting question that maybe I should look into one of these days.

Big Guy and Rusty is also, unfortunately, currently unavailable. My understanding is that it has something to do with the cartoon from a few years back, but I don't have all the info. It's possible that this has actually changed since I talked to Darrow last, as it seems like some of the legal issues surrounding those Fox cartoons are clearing up.

And I'd say that thosee that want Flaming Carrot and the Mystery Men aren't necessarily as small a minority as one might think. And Bob Burden's a hell of a nice guy.

That Rocketeer is freakin' awesome. I'd try one myself if I had the extra Lobster Johnson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:28 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

So what about The Far Side, pVp, or Liberty Meadows?

Peace,

Chip