Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LCBH at SDCC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:20 pm 
Bob Vila

Anybody else think the biggest egg laid at SDCC was by this line?

I mean, this is a brand that really had a chance to build up some momentum. There's a lot of collectors that are going to support it simply because they liked the old Marvel Legends and are disappointed with Hasbro. Plus, here you have all the creators around and can make some big splashy announcements.

But Marvel Toys doesn't even have a booth; their stuff is actually at the Diamond booth (I think) tucked into the bottom of one of their cases. And the character selections-- ugh. Sure, I understand there's some problems with negotiating with so many different parties, but they can't keep relying on the same few limited properties. At least the first wave was available, and selling well, despite being about twice what you'll find at retail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:41 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

The online consensus has been exactly what you stated, EXCEPT people are overlooking all that just because of the kickass Frost Giant BAF.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:37 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Just how many figures are in this FG wave? I don't care for the story of the character/it being a Conan baddy, but since it's from Norse myth it'd be awesome against a ML Thor and Loki... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:37 pm 
5th Horseman

They were my biggest disappointment. Mattel had a big 'con and was the biggest story despite having fewer new figures than Hasbro.

I was expecting at least a full wave as Jesse had said; wonder if things are in flux? I'm not a Liefeld fan per se, but would really love to see Youngblood in LCBH and thought it was a no brainer with Liefeld coming back to Image and them having their panel.

Very curious about the future. Just doesn't have the strength of character. Perhaps WW will be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:21 pm 
Infinite Hero

Jesse stated at Fwoosh that the other figures for Wave 3 simply weren't ready for SDCC yet, that's why they weren't there.

Jeff

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:09 pm 
We're going streaking!

I guess LCBH Series 3 was a bit of a letdown for me too. I looked at them and just thought.... eh. Not that I have ever had that thought before with Marvel Legends, I have, but the difference was that I intimately knew the characters and/or how they fit in the Marvel U. with the other ML characters I had, so I usually bought them like the sheep I am.

LCBH... I cannot say that I know most of these characters very well. And I guess that's a problem, even when some of the characters in Series 3 are part of the universes of characters from Series 1 & 2. Maybe more so for a line like this. I see a couple I will get, like Vanguard and Conan, but the Frost Giant isn't enough at this point to make me want to buy them all and build him. But it was a incomplete showing, so who knows in the end.

And, from another board's posting, is THIS the reason why the Series 2 variant was changed from Marv to Ann O'Brien?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:53 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Outside of adding WildCATS, the Hellboy characters, or the Valiant Universe, I can't see this line going very far. I'd like it to, but I just don't see it.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:02 am 
We're going streaking!

Let me add, for everything bad that has been said about Rob Liefeld, I actually liked some of his early Image stuff and would love to see his creations included in this line. With him back in the Image fold, maybe this will finally happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:37 am 
5th Horseman

Quote:
Let me add, for everything bad that has been said about Rob Liefeld, I actually liked some of his early Image stuff and would love to see his creations included in this line. With him back in the Image fold, maybe this will finally happen.

Agreed. While I see why people hate on his art so much, he did make fun characters and Youngblood is NOT a bad concept at all. Similar to Ultimates. I'm curious what Joe Casey could do.

Anyway, since this line is more about toys than characters, Youngblood would be a logical addition. They would look very cool and be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:18 am 
Daniel Pickett

As I understood it this was just a sneak peek at SOME of the figures in wave 3.

This is a really difficult line to put together as every single new property has a new contract, a new set of lawyers and a new round of approvals.

The old adage in the toy world is that you don't make any money on the first wave of any line. you just need it to sell enough to be able to make the second wave.

I'm sure even with toy biz's record of excellence, innovation and great sales that retailers might still be a bit of "wait and see."

If you like this line of even just the idea of this line you should vote with your wallet and buy them! wave one and wave two. they really are impressive figures.

You can check out our features on wave one and two in our FEATURES section of the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:07 am 
Resin

LCBH stole the show at ToyFair, imo.

They showed a ton of stuff when everybody else has very little.

Their first line is out now and it's awesome.

Yeah, I hoped to see the whole 3rd linup too, but oh well.
I'm happy about getting the Mean Machine.
But most people just went gaga over the Frost Giant.
Smart move too, since those are a big part of Norse mythos and Thor-world.

So, while a bit of a letdown, I'm so over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I give the line 7 waves at most; I really don't see how they can do beyond that. I mean, really- Marvel Legends started having some problems because most of the world that saw the toys didn't even know who half the characters were...and these were MARVEL LEGENDS. I'm guessing maybe 1/8th at most knows who the LCBH are...and when they start getting obscure....