Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: are these good?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:45 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I love ML and Pitt and Madman and Savage Dragon look cool but I've never read or heard about any of these guys (exept withcblade and dragon) and am wondering if they are good purchases.

Post subject: Re: are these good?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:01 pm 
Infinite Hero

Ullar wrote:
I love ML and Pitt and Madman and Savage Dragon look cool but I've never read or heard about any of these guys (exept withcblade and dragon) and am wondering if they are good purchases.

That's a subjective question that only you can answer.

I love this line, and love these figures (ok, I could've done w/o Witchblade) so to me they are good purchases...but to someone who doesn't like these characters, well, they would be poor purchases.

Jeff

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:51 am 
Tis' but a pup

I'm getting series 1 because I'm familiar enough and like almost all the AF's and the BAF choice. Unfortunately, I'm really on the fence with the second wave. I want the Monkeyman BAF & Anne O'Brien badly, and The Darkness looks great; the rest of the wave? Ehhhn. But I'm afraid if I -don't- support this line, I won't get the AF's I -really- want, like Invincible and Atom Eve...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:39 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I got them cause they were on clearance, then I pulled all their comics starting at the beginning and kept going. I just like comic-heroes anyways, so I love the figures...

But it's a matter of personal choice, I'd say find some origin stories on the characters and figure out if you like em first. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:21 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I'm simply buying what I like- in fact I didn't even bother to make Pitt; I read about him, and as cool as he looks, he doesn't really interest me in any way. Monkeyman I'm building. Like I said, I see this line going on for AT MOST 7 waves, and that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:39 am 
We're going streaking!

If this line goes 7 series, I'd call that a HUGE success!

I have Series 1 (and Judge Death) and they are great toys. I personally didn't even have any of the old Toy Biz gotchas that we all faced time and time again with ML (stuck joints, etc). I know all of the characters, even if I am not familiar with all of them, and like John Jones, I just like Comic Book heroes and characters! Witchblade was actually much better once I opened her than I expected; Madman was a tad disappointing. I could care less for Pitt the character, and if it wasn't for only needing two figures that I really didn't want to complete Pitt (Witchblade and Ripclaw), I probably would have left him. That said, it is a heck of a BAF, and as I mentioned already, I like the Witchblade figure. Ripclaw is still Ripclaw though :P

I am looking forward to Series 2 (gotta build Monkeyman!), not so much Series 3, character selection (so far) or the BAF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:54 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, these are a lot better than their ToyBiz run, the plastic is waaayyy better, pretty much like Hasbro's doing except these have a wash on them. (Which imo makes them look lots better :) )

But The Darkness and Marv are top of the list for me. I gotta get em. :wink: I just wish Darkness came with darklings instead of the lizard creatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:07 pm 
Wonderdog

TRDouble wrote:
If this line goes 7 series, I'd call that a HUGE success!

Agreed. Even more high profile stuff didn't last that long. Given the more obscure source material for these characters, 7 waves would mean over 40 of these characters from wildly different comics would get action figures. That's quite a sizeable collection right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:39 pm 
Resin

Are they any good as in are the toys any good or are the characters any good?

Judge Dredd = seriously great character with decades of great stories. Also a very good toy but a bit scrawny. He should be bulkier, but it depends on who's drawing him. In many appearances he is spot-on to his toy.

Madman = really wacky offbeat funny stories and cool hip retro-type art. Good stuff. The toy is great, if a little plain in its design, but you agree w/ me that he looks cool. Go get him. Watch the paint - can be iffy.

Ripclaw = obviously ripped off of Wolverine and boring, even with his Am Indian heritage. Toy kinda blows. It's well-done, but I never liked the Black Panther body.

SuperPatriot = Kinda neat stories, some of his later stuff was pretty cool. The toy is pretty darn good. I ended up liking it a lot, and I wasn't all that interested at first. It's become one of my faves.

And you know who Witchblade and Dragon are. BTW, The Dragon's toy may be one of my faves of this whole year.

And I disagree with Jeff Cope's opinion that if you don't like the characters then they would be bad purchases. Bull. They are great toys and if you like great toys, go for it. If you just like toys of characters you like, then yeah, maybe not for you. Maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:56 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

thanks for the replys I have decieded to collect the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:25 pm 
shirtless hugger

I'm personally only interested in Judge Dredd and his supporting characters, but I can't deny the greatness of this line. Figures like Savage Dragon and Madman tempt me every time I see them, but I'm trying to reduce my toy budget, so sacrifices must be made. :cry: