Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:31 pm 
Damage Control

The fact that the first two waves include 4 SA (or 3 BA) JLA members PLUS Classic Blue Devil and Classic Black Lightning is enough to get my attention. I don't really NEED to collect another DC line, but will get a few if done right just to display with BD and BL which I doubt we'll get classic versions of in DCUC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:58 pm 
Collector Inspector

Can someone say trying to compete with DCUC. But in a few ways I feel they are already to late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

DrGreenEvil wrote:
Can someone say trying to compete with DCUC. But in a few ways I feel they are already to late.
I agree totally!

I personally would love to see SA Ultraa (JLA), 70's Legion (Lightning Lad, Karate Kid, Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Bouncing Boy), SA Secret Society of Super Villains (Wizard, Prof. Zoom, Blockbuster, Floronic Man & Star Sapphire), SA Capt. Comet and some female figures such as Knockout, Maxima, Halo, SA Duo Damsel and Nubia (from 70's Super Friends #25).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:57 pm 
We're going streaking!

Taking a good look at Series 2 while reading the front page interview. I can't wait to see the price on these (I have a feeling these will be going up in cost) and at 6.75" scale, I see these to DCUC as Marvel Select is to Marvel Legends. Hopefully, without the cost of Marvel Select (though, the extra articulation leads me to believe it will be closer in final price than Dc Direct figures are now).

From the interview, I see the biggest problem with this line being that Georg doesn't seem to know where it is going. There was a lot of, "we are looking at that," and, "it may tie in to older lines," ending with a, "different versions than what we have already made." Of course, the Batman quickly throws that out the window, but if we didn't get a DCUC Silver Captain Atom, how many people would be mad to get a HoDCU 1st Appearance Captain Adam instead? This looks like a nice, generic line; start with most popular renditions of characters, especially those that were only made in artist specific lines before (i.e. Captain Atom, Deadshot). How hard is that to do?

This is definitely a 'compete with Mattel' line; heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see an ad touting, "DC Figures You Can Find!", as a dig to Mattel's distribution problems. Four series per year, lesser known (in some cases, obscure) characters and characters in classic duds? Uh huh. And that is fine. Competition is always a good thing, if it brings out the best from companies.

Outside of it being unreliable DC Direct, I just wonder how much overlap we will see. I see people say that they will get Blue Devil because we probably won't get one from Mattel... Mattel, the same company that gave us Etrigan and classic Killer Moth?!? Yes, classic Black Lightning (the figure I am most excited about) and Blue Devil are probably on the 4HM's design table; Manhunter? Probably not. When I look at it this way, I start to have reservation about picking up this line, even picking and choosing.

BTW, that Flash head sculpt is not very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:30 pm 
Cold-cast

forgive me if this has been mentioned already but has anyone else noticed that all 8 figures shown are the same damn body? I mean hell at least dcuc trys to vary it a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:36 pm 
Crime Against Nature

I just want to thank Georg and Daniel for putting that interview together.

It's pretty nice and very informative!

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm 
An Insider

I won't be picking these up, but I can't wait to see the Perez Superman. I really hope DCD does that figure justice, since Perez' Supes is pretty much one of the definitive Supes IMHO...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:00 am 
5" Scale

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't DCD's "Crisis" series supposed to (originally) be a big umbrella-type line for classic versions of obscure characters? What happened to that? They did three waves and then up and left. (And I have to say some of those figures, such as Earth-2 Huntress or Dr. Light, came out quite nicely.)

What is going to make this "History" line any different from other DCD lines? I just have this bad feeling they'd launch, and we get maybe 3 waves, and then nothing. Granted, it's a couple of very nice choices in what they've shown so far (I will most likely pick up Blue Devil) but I would be hesitant about hoping for a line that will endure beyond a year or so.

(Disclaimer: I'm still miffed at DCD pulling the plug on my two favorite lines, the Minimates and Justice, so I'm a little biased with them lately. :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:26 am 
Daniel Pickett

Both MiniMates and Justice have a possibilitiy of returning. Justice has morphed into the Ross JSA line (I suspect some day there will just be a Ross line) and they said at Comic Con that MiniMates might return as boxed sets. *fingers crossed*

I think this new line will have some legs becasue it is a new body they had tooled. I would think they would want to get their $ out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:25 pm 
5" Scale

I hope you're right, given the level of fan interest/excitment in what we've seen before.

(And I will definitely keep fingers crossed for more Minimates!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:05 pm 
Factory Worker

I don't mind the generic body actually. At the very least, it gives us a consistent scale.

I'm not a DC Apologist, (I got banned from their site recently for incessant ciriticism) but I give credit where it's due. All I really want is Character diversity and given the economic crunch, this is the BEST way to give us what we want.

Unless DC becomes the most sought after property in the world, the demand for lesser known characters just won't easily justify their getting new sculpts.

Or unless Every DC fan promises to buy every NON-big name character.

I do think that this means DC MUST now commit to variety!

Incidentally, I too hope the Minimates line returns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm 
Bob Vila

Unfortunately, others have reported that they said later at SDCC (outside of the panel, on the con floor) that Minimates were extremely unlikely. :cry: :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:01 pm 
We're going streaking!

JuliusMarx wrote:
Both MiniMates and Justice have a possibilitiy of returning. Justice has morphed into the Ross JSA line (I suspect some day there will just be a Ross line) and they said at Comic Con that MiniMates might return as boxed sets. *fingers crossed*

I think this new line will have some legs becasue it is a new body they had tooled. I would think they would want to get their $ out of it.

I thought the Ross JSA line clocked in as bigger than the Justice line? Are these (somewhat) in-scale to each other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:33 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

TRDouble wrote:
I thought the Ross JSA line clocked in as bigger than the Justice line? Are these (somewhat) in-scale to each other?

I thought they were the same size. The Justice line was big, if they made the JSA line even bigger then it could only be sheer madness/insanity and a sign that God is angry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:57 am 
Bob Vila

xrmc20 wrote:
TRDouble wrote:

I thought they were the same size. The Justice line was big, if they made the JSA line even bigger then it could only be sheer madness/insanity and a sign that God is angry

:D :D :D

"DC Direct: For ten years, a sign that God is angry."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next