Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: History DCU:Guesses to who the upcoming Perez characters are
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:00 am 
Killer Mothman

These are Georg Brewer's clues about upcoming characters from the interview with DCD about the George Perez History of the DCU. Here's my guesses:

The last of his kind… Martian Manhunter

A classic villain who still gets play today… Killer Moth

A hero lost in time… Booster Gold

He may be a clone or not… Paul Kirk Manhunter? (When was this interview done? Before the announcement?)

A hero by another name… Who is a hero who has used an alternate identity? Supernova? Ion? Bloodwynd? Sandman?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:03 am 
Daniel Pickett

The interview was done over the weekend. The BBTS leak had already happend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:00 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Here are some ideas I came up with:

· The last of his kind - Martian Manhunter or Superman?
· A classic villain who still gets play today - Joker? The Killer Moth theory is a good one too.
· A hero lost in time - Most likely Booster Gold also
· He may be a clone or not - Batman Beyond? He was kinda a clone with the whole Bruce DNA thing.
· A hero by another name - Question? He was known as Vic Sage as a news anchor and Charles Szazs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:32 am 
Bob Vila

Remember, guys, you've got to look back at the History of the DC Universe book... which I'll do in a little bit, but...for now, Batman Beyond is certainly not coming, since he didn't exist at that time. And Killer Moth... come on Scott! :D

So here's a few guesses:

Last of his kind: Kamandi?
Hero lost in time: I don't think Booster was "lost" since he chose to return to the past. Also, since DCD has just done him twice in the last few years, he seems unlikely. But he's a pretty good guess. Others: Hex (the version in the future)? Rip Hunter?
Clone: Not Conner Kent, he wasn't around...hmm....

Dammit, I'm going to the book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:45 pm 
Fugitive Dust

lets see

The last of his kind… KAMANDI
· A classic villain who still gets play today… Grundy or Sandal SAvage
· A hero lost in time… Atomic night?
· He may be a clone or not… Guardian
· A hero by another name… VIGILANTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:38 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

· The last of his kind - Lobo, Martian Manhunter or Kamandi
· A classic villain who still gets play today - Joker (I think the word "play" gives a hint on that one)
· A hero lost in time - Shining Knight, Johan Hex, Etrigan, Booster Gold
· He may be a clone or not - I was going to say Luthor, but the HOTDCU was before that storyline, so...
· A hero by another name - I like patoliver's suggestion of Vigilante, but that could mean Nightwing, Max Mercury (originally Quicksilver) or anyone else who has had a name change...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:41 pm 
Fugitive Dust

I choose vigitalente because thats an other way to call a heroe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:50 pm 
MINT!

My guess:

The last of his kind
Martian Manhunter

A classic villain who still gets play today
Lex Luthor or Joker

A hero lost in time
Hourman

He may be a clone or not
Superman Related SUperboy, cyborg SUperman maybe....I know it's way off. But knowing DCD for having Superman/Batman syndrome...

A hero by another name
Nightwing[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:25 am 
Bob Vila

Shining Knight is a GREAT guess for the "hero lost in time"! I think he's my official guess for that clue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:43 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

If they do stick to the book, these characters listed above are not possible:

Killer Moth
Ion
Bloodwynd
Batman Beyond
Lobo
Cyborg Superman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:50 pm 
Factory Worker

After reviewing the book...

The last of his kind -

Given that they need a "star", it could well be Superman.

From the book, Martian Manhuter, Pariah, Kilowog, members of the LOSH all qualify but are not likely... (Lady Quark got omitted when they said "his" kind)

A classic villain who still gets play today -

Not a lot of villains apeared on the book. Of those who did, it seems only Black Adam, Per Degaton, Shade, Vandal Savage, Brainiac, Solomon Grundy and maybe even Eclipso count as "getting play today."

My quess, Black Adam.

A hero lost in time -

Booster Gold, Shining Knight, Jonah Hex, Atomic Knight... but even Hal Jordan was shown lost in time in this book.(The Pol Manning saga)

Tough to call. Captain Atom was also lost in time... I'd guess it could be him.

He may be a clone or not -

A bit vague. Maybe Captain Comet? (Given recent events in Mystery in Space) Guardian?

I'd be happy with either one!

A hero by another name -

You know, given the clue, it could be Rose and Thorn.

Vigilante is also a possibility as has been mentioned. I hope it's Vigilante (Adrian Chase)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:28 pm 
Bob Vila

JamesJesse wrote:
After reviewing the book...

The last of his kind -

Given that they need a "star", it could well be Superman.

From the book, Martian Manhuter, Pariah, Kilowog, members of the LOSH all qualify but are not likely... (Lady Quark got omitted when they said "his" kind)

A classic villain who still gets play today -

Not a lot of villains apeared on the book. Of those who did, it seems only Black Adam, Per Degaton, Shade, Vandal Savage, Brainiac, Solomon Grundy and maybe even Eclipso count as "getting play today."

My quess, Black Adam.

A hero lost in time -

Booster Gold, Shining Knight, Jonah Hex, Atomic Knight... but even Hal Jordan was shown lost in time in this book.(The Pol Manning saga)

Tough to call. Captain Atom was also lost in time... I'd guess it could be him.

He may be a clone or not -

A bit vague. Maybe Captain Comet? (Given recent events in Mystery in Space) Guardian?

I'd be happy with either one!

A hero by another name -

You know, given the clue, it could be Rose and Thorn.

Vigilante is also a possibility as has been mentioned. I hope it's Vigilante (Adrian Chase)

I looked over the book, and came to some similar conclusions:

Last of his kind: Well, I originally said Kamandi, but he actually doesn't really appear in HODCU. I'd forgotten at the time that DC had decided that there was now one future (rather then multiple possible futures) and that Kamandi's didn't fit. So they decided that the boy who was to become Kamandi grew up to be Tommy Tomorrow instead. So I'm going to go with the Martian Manhunter.

Classic Villian that still gets play: Well, it's not the Joker, if they are only using people that appeared in the book As James said, there aren't a lot of villians. One extremely outside possibility: the Sportsmaster! But I really, really doubt it. I'm going to go with Vandal Savage.

Hero lost in time: Sticking with the Shining Knight.

The clone: This one's really tough. I also settled on Captain Comet as a possibility (he also kinda fits the lost in time description), and didn't even think of the Guardian. A couple others that I think qualify: Omac and the Black Orchid. The latter I like a lot, actually, since her past was shrouded in mystery, and there's a really good shot in the book of her. She's my guess.

Hero by another name: Nightwing would make the most sense, but they did a Perez style Nightwing in that costume not too long ago (part of the 1st Appearance line). I just don't think they would make another figure in that costume. I also thought of Rose and Thorn, and I'd like to see her. One othe possibility: Kid Flash, whom appears several times in the book, and there's certainly enough Perez reference material on him (and they can make up for the horrible one they did a few years ago). Still, I don't have a solid guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:34 am 
Factory Worker

hellpop wrote:

Last of his kind: Well, I originally said Kamandi, but he actually doesn't really appear in HODCU. I'd forgotten at the time that DC had decided that there was now one future (rather then multiple possible futures) and that Kamandi's didn't fit. So they decided that the boy who was to become Kamandi grew up to be Tommy Tomorrow instead. So I'm going to go with the Martian Manhunter.

Actually, technically Kamandi DID show up as the kid found Command D Bunker, and in the same panel grew up to be Tommy Tomorrow. (The page with Space Cabbie and Space Ranger)

Still don't think it's him though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:13 am 
Bob Vila

JamesJesse wrote:
hellpop wrote:

Actually, technically Kamandi DID show up as the kid found Command D Bunker, and in the same panel grew up to be Tommy Tomorrow. (The page with Space Cabbie and Space Ranger)

Still don't think it's him though.

Yeah, I know. I just didn't want to type out the details. :wink:

I wouldn't really want Kamandi in this particular line anyway, since I'd want a true Kirby-styled Kamandi. I think he'll probably pop up in the Showcase line, or if they expand the New Gods line to include all Kirby characters; they could then do Kamandi, the Demon, the Sandman, ect.

This actually raises something that's always bugged me about DCD: why do their artist-inspired lines have to be related to a specific group/book? Why can't they just do an Alex Ross line, a George Perez line, a Jack Kirby line, and on and on? Does the tie-in to, say, New Frontier or Superman/Batman really sell the figures any better then the style of the artist in question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:24 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

hellpop wrote:
This actually raises something that's always bugged me about DCD: why do their artist-inspired lines have to be related to a specific group/book? Why can't they just do an Alex Ross line, a George Perez line, a Jack Kirby line, and on and on? Does the tie-in to, say, New Frontier or Superman/Batman really sell the figures any better then the style of the artist in question?

Great question. In some cases I think the line does need to be tied to a book, but I think the three you mentioned could each easily work as artist lines. I would bet, though, that if you put the artist's name on it you have to pay them more, or work out a new deal with them. If you make the lines based on the books/characters, I'm sure the licensing has already been solved by the original contract for the art.

But they should just keep going with the Ross line and the Kirby line (move away from the standard body of the New God wave and give us a Kirby-looking Demon, Omac, etc.), and now the Perez stuff. It's certainly seems a bit dumb to have sorta started a Perez line with the Crisis waves, and now have to start over with a slightly different looking style and scale. If DCD would just be a little bit strategic, we would have a solid start at a bunch of Perez figures that work together (I'm not a scale-nazi, but the History line doesn't seem to match with the Crisis line well enough to me).