Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:11 pm 
User avatar
We're going streaking!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3692
Location: Western New York
The new ToyFare has pictures of new Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures! Pictured are Hook 'n Beard Aquaman, Cassie Batgirl, Superman Blue and Kyle Rayner in his classic GL uniform. Maybe not the most inspired line-up, but they all look good and should go great with the rest of the McGuinness figures.

This will be my first non-13-Inch DC Direct pre-order since the last wave of Justice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:50 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Awesome! I can't wait, :)


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:29 pm 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8575
Location: Rochester, NY
Yay! I can easily see the potential in this line to rival or even surpass what was offered under the Alex Ross banner.

_________________
"It's not perfect, but I'm kinda excited to have 'em" - Jason Lenzi.

Couldn't have said it better myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 pm 
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 562
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Yay! I can easily see the potential in this line to rival or even surpass what was offered under the Alex Ross banner.


eventhough I wish that DC Direct would just stick with boxedsets and 13 inchers, these are more than welcome and yes I think these would surpass the Alex Ross line especially how disappoinying the last few waves went, i.e. undersized Grodd, John Stewart figure that was obviously forced into the line, etc


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:17 pm 
User avatar
Former King of Posts
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10589
Location: Happy Harbor, RI
TRDouble wrote:
The new ToyFare has pictures of new Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures! Pictured are Hook 'n Beard Aquaman, Cassie Batgirl, Superman Blue and Kyle Rayner in his classic GL uniform.


I've been pushing for a while that the JLA Classified banner should be used to give us a ton of Justice League characters from across the eras inspired by the artist who drew them most.

While this lineup does not inspire me, I still have hopes for JL members like Zauriel and Rocket Red who have not been made at all in this scale.

_________________
Read my latest AFi blog:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/blog ... perfriend/
You might enjoy it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:45 pm 
User avatar
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3701
Location: Phoenix
TRDouble wrote:
Maybe not the most inspired line-up, but they all look good and should go great with the rest of the McGuinness figures.


Cool! I'll probably skip the Superman but the others are welcome. Of course, I'd rather have another character than another Aquaman, but whatever. My McGuinness shelf is already pretty full, though!

_________________
Trouble sleeping?
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/blog ... antinadan/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:21 pm 
Bob Vila
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Surprising that they went back to these, but a pleasant one. Could it be that DC Direct is actually starting to listen to it's customers?!


Nah....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:01 pm 
Factory Worker
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 807
TRDouble wrote:
The new ToyFare has pictures of new Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures! Pictured are Hook 'n Beard Aquaman, Cassie Batgirl, Superman Blue and Kyle Rayner in his classic GL uniform. Maybe not the most inspired line-up, but they all look good and should go great with the rest of the McGuinness figures.

This will be my first non-13-Inch DC Direct pre-order since the last wave of Justice.


Cool news. I'm not a big fan of his style, but a new Aquaman on my shelf is always welcomed. PLUS the earlier Classified Aquaman quickly became on of the favorite figures on my shelf.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I wish I could find some of the older ones for under $20 each,
(So I really hope DCD re-releases some of the other ones, like they did for Flash and WW)

D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:06 am 
User avatar
Former King of Posts
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10589
Location: Happy Harbor, RI
I've seen a bunch of the older ones across time for 10$ each at local shops, but by the time you add postage, they would be almost 20$.

Someone on another site asked if this completed the basic 7 of the JLA, which made me realize, the JLA as it was at the time the JLA Classified came out was complete at that time. the GL was John Stewart. the Aquaman was classic looking with the blue hand. Between JLA Classified wave 1 and Superman / Batman wave 1 we got all 7.

This set gives us:
Kyle as GL
Hook Aquaman
Superman Blue
Batgirl modern.

which completes the looks from the Morrison / Porter era, but I never felt they were missing because McGuiness never drew them.

Batgirl Cassandra Cain feels forced in a JLA line. yes, she was part of JL Elite, but that was undercover. She does fit in the McGuiness line as being part of the Public Enemies arc.

Going back to Morrison / Porter, we could see Green Arrow, Aztek, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Huntress, Steel, Barda, Orion, Hourman android, Mr. Miracle, etc.

While Zauriel is at the top of my DcDirect want list, I want to see him done in a Porter styled wave.

Howard Porter JLA wave:
Superman - anchor.
Green Arrow - Conner Hawk - I don't think DcDirect has given us a version of him yet.
Zauriel - 2nd version, with "golden eagle armor".
Prometheus - the anti Batman would be an awesome way to round out this wave.

_________________
Read my latest AFi blog:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/blog ... perfriend/
You might enjoy it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:53 am 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
superfriend wrote:
I've seen a bunch of the older ones across time for 10$ each at local shops, but by the time you add postage, they would be almost 20$.

Someone on another site asked if this completed the basic 7 of the JLA, which made me realize, the JLA as it was at the time the JLA Classified came out was complete at that time. the GL was John Stewart. the Aquaman was classic looking with the blue hand. Between JLA Classified wave 1 and Superman / Batman wave 1 we got all 7.

This set gives us:
Kyle as GL
Hook Aquaman
Superman Blue
Batgirl modern.

which completes the looks from the Morrison / Porter era, but I never felt they were missing because McGuiness never drew them.

Batgirl Cassandra Cain feels forced in a JLA line. yes, she was part of JL Elite, but that was undercover. She does fit in the McGuiness line as being part of the Public Enemies arc.

Going back to Morrison / Porter, we could see Green Arrow, Aztek, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Huntress, Steel, Barda, Orion, Hourman android, Mr. Miracle, etc.

While Zauriel is at the top of my DcDirect want list, I want to see him done in a Porter styled wave.

Howard Porter JLA wave:
Superman - anchor.
Green Arrow - Conner Hawk - I don't think DcDirect has given us a version of him yet.
Zauriel - 2nd version, with "golden eagle armor".
Prometheus - the anti Batman would be an awesome way to round out this wave.

I really only have one comic shop in Utah I know of that actually carries figures,


D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:13 am 
User avatar
The Last Word
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3565
Location: Stately Wayne Manor
TRDouble wrote:
Cassie Batgirl

Awesome.

Cantina-Dan wrote:
My McGuinness shelf is already pretty full, though!

For real!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8575
Location: Rochester, NY
I don't care how full it gets, if they keep making new figures in this style, I will just add a new shelf or rotate a different collection back into storage to make room!

_________________
"It's not perfect, but I'm kinda excited to have 'em" - Jason Lenzi.

Couldn't have said it better myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 pm 
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 425
Location: Jackson, NJ
anyone else find it tremendously amusing that "series 2 is in consistent style and scale to series 1" is actually a selling point for DCD figures at this point?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:32 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
These look awesome, (except SM blue's forehead is huge) I think that most of the McGuinness figures are very close to his art style, while some are not, (off the top of my head: WW and Bizarro, WW's head sculpt sucks, and Bizarro's head and body doesn't look very good either, IMO)



D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.064s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]