Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:11 pm 
We're going streaking!

The new ToyFare has pictures of new Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures! Pictured are Hook 'n Beard Aquaman, Cassie Batgirl, Superman Blue and Kyle Rayner in his classic GL uniform. Maybe not the most inspired line-up, but they all look good and should go great with the rest of the McGuinness figures.

This will be my first non-13-Inch DC Direct pre-order since the last wave of Justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:50 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Awesome! I can't wait, :)

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:29 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yay! I can easily see the potential in this line to rival or even surpass what was offered under the Alex Ross banner.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 pm 
Knows his stuff

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Yay! I can easily see the potential in this line to rival or even surpass what was offered under the Alex Ross banner.

eventhough I wish that DC Direct would just stick with boxedsets and 13 inchers, these are more than welcome and yes I think these would surpass the Alex Ross line especially how disappoinying the last few waves went, i.e. undersized Grodd, John Stewart figure that was obviously forced into the line, etc

Post subject: Re: New Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:17 pm 
Former King of Posts

TRDouble wrote:
The new ToyFare has pictures of new Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures! Pictured are Hook 'n Beard Aquaman, Cassie Batgirl, Superman Blue and Kyle Rayner in his classic GL uniform.

I've been pushing for a while that the JLA Classified banner should be used to give us a ton of Justice League characters from across the eras inspired by the artist who drew them most.

While this lineup does not inspire me, I still have hopes for JL members like Zauriel and Rocket Red who have not been made at all in this scale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:45 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

TRDouble wrote:
Maybe not the most inspired line-up, but they all look good and should go great with the rest of the McGuinness figures.

Cool! I'll probably skip the Superman but the others are welcome. Of course, I'd rather have another character than another Aquaman, but whatever. My McGuinness shelf is already pretty full, though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:21 pm 
Bob Vila

Surprising that they went back to these, but a pleasant one. Could it be that DC Direct is actually starting to listen to it's customers?!

Nah....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:01 pm 
Factory Worker

TRDouble wrote:
The new ToyFare has pictures of new Ed McGuinness-style JLA Classified Figures! Pictured are Hook 'n Beard Aquaman, Cassie Batgirl, Superman Blue and Kyle Rayner in his classic GL uniform. Maybe not the most inspired line-up, but they all look good and should go great with the rest of the McGuinness figures.

This will be my first non-13-Inch DC Direct pre-order since the last wave of Justice.

Cool news. I'm not a big fan of his style, but a new Aquaman on my shelf is always welcomed. PLUS the earlier Classified Aquaman quickly became on of the favorite figures on my shelf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I wish I could find some of the older ones for under $20 each,
(So I really hope DCD re-releases some of the other ones, like they did for Flash and WW)

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:06 am 
Former King of Posts

I've seen a bunch of the older ones across time for 10$ each at local shops, but by the time you add postage, they would be almost 20$.

Someone on another site asked if this completed the basic 7 of the JLA, which made me realize, the JLA as it was at the time the JLA Classified came out was complete at that time. the GL was John Stewart. the Aquaman was classic looking with the blue hand. Between JLA Classified wave 1 and Superman / Batman wave 1 we got all 7.

This set gives us:
Kyle as GL
Hook Aquaman
Superman Blue
Batgirl modern.

which completes the looks from the Morrison / Porter era, but I never felt they were missing because McGuiness never drew them.

Batgirl Cassandra Cain feels forced in a JLA line. yes, she was part of JL Elite, but that was undercover. She does fit in the McGuiness line as being part of the Public Enemies arc.

Going back to Morrison / Porter, we could see Green Arrow, Aztek, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Huntress, Steel, Barda, Orion, Hourman android, Mr. Miracle, etc.

While Zauriel is at the top of my DcDirect want list, I want to see him done in a Porter styled wave.

Howard Porter JLA wave:
Superman - anchor.
Green Arrow - Conner Hawk - I don't think DcDirect has given us a version of him yet.
Zauriel - 2nd version, with "golden eagle armor".
Prometheus - the anti Batman would be an awesome way to round out this wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:53 am 
serves the Otter

superfriend wrote:
I've seen a bunch of the older ones across time for 10$ each at local shops, but by the time you add postage, they would be almost 20$.

Someone on another site asked if this completed the basic 7 of the JLA, which made me realize, the JLA as it was at the time the JLA Classified came out was complete at that time. the GL was John Stewart. the Aquaman was classic looking with the blue hand. Between JLA Classified wave 1 and Superman / Batman wave 1 we got all 7.

This set gives us:
Kyle as GL
Hook Aquaman
Superman Blue
Batgirl modern.

which completes the looks from the Morrison / Porter era, but I never felt they were missing because McGuiness never drew them.

Batgirl Cassandra Cain feels forced in a JLA line. yes, she was part of JL Elite, but that was undercover. She does fit in the McGuiness line as being part of the Public Enemies arc.

Going back to Morrison / Porter, we could see Green Arrow, Aztek, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Huntress, Steel, Barda, Orion, Hourman android, Mr. Miracle, etc.

While Zauriel is at the top of my DcDirect want list, I want to see him done in a Porter styled wave.

Howard Porter JLA wave:
Superman - anchor.
Green Arrow - Conner Hawk - I don't think DcDirect has given us a version of him yet.
Zauriel - 2nd version, with "golden eagle armor".
Prometheus - the anti Batman would be an awesome way to round out this wave.

I really only have one comic shop in Utah I know of that actually carries figures,

D.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:13 am 
The Last Word

TRDouble wrote:
Cassie Batgirl

Awesome.

Cantina-Dan wrote:
My McGuinness shelf is already pretty full, though!

For real!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I don't care how full it gets, if they keep making new figures in this style, I will just add a new shelf or rotate a different collection back into storage to make room!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 pm 
Cold-cast

anyone else find it tremendously amusing that "series 2 is in consistent style and scale to series 1" is actually a selling point for DCD figures at this point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:32 pm 
serves the Otter

These look awesome, (except SM blue's forehead is huge) I think that most of the McGuinness figures are very close to his art style, while some are not, (off the top of my head: WW and Bizarro, WW's head sculpt sucks, and Bizarro's head and body doesn't look very good either, IMO)

D.