PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:21 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Just posted this on the front page:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=3559

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:54 pm 
Damage Control

Nice pics JM. Looks nice but the T-crotch is a bummer. :cry:
Why include all of that nice upper body articulation and then cheap out below the waist? I thought the prototypes had some sort of ball hip.
Any idea why that changed?
Any chance of some comparison pics with other DCD figures for scale reference? I've heard these guys are way big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:08 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

well that just cheeses me off some. i was really liking the look of the new hip articulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:26 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

I am tempted to pick these up if not for the $16+ price

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:28 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Great review and pics, Dan. Thanks.

grouch wrote:
Any chance of some comparison pics with other DCD figures for scale reference? I've heard these guys are way big.

Yes. I'd like to see some comparison pics with DCUC, too. Particularly the crime stopper Batman.

Or Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman or Flash.

Mike
(This may be the only "first appearance" Green Arrow figure we ever get. It would be nice if it were in scale with something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

A few thoughts:

1. If this line had come out before DCSH/DCUC, my level of excitement about it would be a lot higher. (but do I think it looks pretty cool anyway)

2. So far, with DCD, the figures based on Perez's artwork just haven't screamed Perez to me. It's probably just that his style doesn't have unique/crazy human body types--he just does a straight-up hyper superhero realism.

3. I want Black Lightning and Blue Devil for sure, cause I doubt we will see that version of BL for awhile in DCUC, and the Blue Devil will still probably work with DCUC even with a scale difference. But I've been waiting to see how Perez's artwork would be incorporated into the packaging to help me decide if I would buy others.

4. Now that I've seen the packaging, I think I will get these (although I think they could have put even more of Perez's stuff on there...had it on the front and or back too--or they could have just wrapped the figure in a Perez poster :) ). And here is where I'm dumb and have lost my mind--I'll probably get these because I like the Perez art on the package, but then I'll open them....and then I'll save the little inserts with Perez art on them....and do what with them??? Nothing. And I'd only need to buy one of them to get the insert anyway. Oh well. I wish they would have made some sort of little Perez art card for each fig with his stuff on each character from the book. Some little bonus like that would have been cool.

5. 12 characters have been announced for the line, and 10 are on the packaging.

from series one: all 4, Batman, Blue Devil, Green Arrow, Manhunter
from series two: all 4, Aquaman, Black Lightning, Creeper, Flash,
from series three: just 1, Superman
on the packaging, but not in waves 1 thru 3: Martian Manhunter (yay! I always want more Martian Manhunter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:20 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Great review, but the word on everyone's minds is SCALE, scale, my good man! These figures are the best DCD has put out in terms of articulation and I plan on getting most of them, but how screwed are we in terms of DCUC compability?

The weirdest thing about the line is how it is being based on a concept that DC has already made obsolete: The post-Crisis New Earth and its history, all of which has been undone in recent years much like the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI alumni eliminations. Yet, here we are getting toy lines based on the concepts. :lol:

Too bad about the crotch change, but that is one cool SA GA, though. I'll likely be picking him up now, even if he doesn't quite match Mattel's Neal Adams Ollie in size or bulk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:11 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I'll take some pictures with DCUC and other DCD stuff tomorrow and update the feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:49 am 
Prototype

JuliusMarx wrote:
I'll take some pictures with DCUC and other DCD stuff tomorrow and update the feature.

Great!
He really looks nice, although I don't like DC Direct's prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:10 am 
PVC

Why did DCD change the hip articulation on these? I was looking forward to picking this line up but I'm not sure now. Same thing happened with the most recent Superman/Batman wave I was planning on getting.

If you could find out what the plan is going forward with the articulation on this series it would be appreciated. As much as I like the concept, characters and packaging, the T-crotch might be a deal breaker for me. I've become too used to the superior pose-ability of DCUC to go back now. Hopefully this figure is the exception and the rest are the same as the solicits. I really can't stand when a figure I've already pre-ordered is changed so much.

Really, everything else about GA looks pretty sharp though. You would have thought he would be the most likely to keep the added articulation since he has the tunic to cover the joint (SA Super Lois, Crisis Monitor, Crisis Lex Luther). Still holding out a sliver of hope for this line and look forward to seeing some scale shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:26 am 
We're going streaking!

xrmc20 wrote:
1. If this line had come out before DCSH/DCUC, my level of excitement about it would be a lot higher. (but do I think it looks pretty cool anyway)

Same for me. I would have been all over these, if not for DCUC. I still have an slight interest in these, but the change in hip articulation has diminished it a bit.

xrmc20 wrote:
2. So far, with DCD, the figures based on Perez's artwork just haven't screamed Perez to me. It's probably just that his style doesn't have unique/crazy human body types--he just does a straight-up hyper superhero realism.

I think the generic body plays a role in what I am seeing. GL looks nice, but is still too bulky IMO, and I think the artwork on the package bears this out. In fact, the man-boobs on these bodies are just to big, especially when looking at the artwork of all the characters.

xrmc20 wrote:
3. I want Black Lightning and Blue Devil for sure, cause I doubt we will see that version of BL for awhile in DCUC, and the Blue Devil will still probably work with DCUC even with a scale difference...

I will get Black Lightning because, if I am correct, this is the first version of him in his classic, 1st Appearance costume. I still hope for Mattel/4HM to make one for DCUC though. And I will get a Batman because, well, it's Batman :D . How much I like Batman will decided on whether I pick up anymore of these, especially with the changed hip articulation.

I like DC Direct's Classic Brainiac better than DCUC's, but then I would have to get a Superman. I want Ocean Master, but then I would have to get a Aquaman. I like the Manhunter, Creeper and Blue Devil, but do I like them enough to buy these versions of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:34 am 
Resin

Thanks for the review. finally got my answer re: the joint pins. Am I correct in assuming from the pics that DCD used the translucent pins used in all other DCD figs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:52 pm 
Former King of Posts

Agreed, some scale pics with other figures would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:09 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I just updated the feature with comparison pix of other figures.

Enjoy!
D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:22 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

He's light years ahead of the original DCD box set offering. Too tall for DCUC and mostly even with some of the previous DCD Leaguers. But no matter, this line is too cool to pass for me. Looking forward to these guys. Thanks for the pics, Julius! :)