Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mad Love Boxed Set (aka What was DCD thinking?)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm 
Cold-cast

So we've got a (decent) repaint of the Alex Ross (Justice) Joker , and JIM LEE's (Hush) Harley?!

Now I realize they have only made one Harley figure, But for the love of god couldn't they have found a Joker that at least looked similar stylistically?

Off the top of my head the Hush version, the Batman and Son version, and to a lesser extent the silver age version (from the batgirl 2-pack) would all fit better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:55 am 
5th Horseman

Ah Alex Ross! I was trying to figure out what Joker that was. This is indeed a very odd set. You don't even mention the book it's based on and comes with: with art by Bruce Timm! You couldn't get much farther from that than Alex Ross.

I think a new Harley and the Harley Quinn one-shot with the cover by Ross that introduced her into the DCU proper would have made more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:14 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, this set just screams "Cash in, Cash in NOW!"

They aren't even trying to make sense with this one ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:29 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Even with the expected body reuse considering this is a DCD box I would've expected more animated-styling in the heads...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 am 
Santos L. Halper

Yep, this set is a head scratcher.

I agree the Ross Joker repainted is actually pretty decent but stylistically it seems a little out of place next to the Lee Harley.

It's too bad that DC couldn't have figured out a better solution
For this set...maybe a re-release of the Gotham Girls Harley statue done in a smaller scale for instance.

And at the end of the day, even though they just repackaged the Lee Joker with the Batman 4 pack that just came out in stores, it still would have looked better with another paint deco than this version of Joker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:45 am 
Damage Control

It's probably a way to give people a chance to re-buy the hard to find Hush Harley Quinn figure that has broken for most people by this point. I had to glue on of her arms back on after it fell down onto the very glass shelf she was standing upon.

That's quality! And DC Direct wants you to buy more of it! :D

http://www.kevenn.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:28 pm 
Bob Vila

DanMan wrote:
Ah Alex Ross! I was trying to figure out what Joker that was. This is indeed a very odd set. You don't even mention the book it's based on and comes with: with art by Bruce Timm! You couldn't get much farther from that than Alex Ross.

Interesting that you say that; I remember reading an interview with Ross where he talks about how much Bruce Timm hates his style, and that Timm thinks their aesthetics are diametrically opposed to each other. Oddly enough, they're also good friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:11 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I think this is actually pretty cool. i missed out on the mad love comic so I'll be able to get it free with a new classic color scheme joker to go in my justice display. i'm fairly certain he never even appeared in a black tux in that whole maxiseries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:11 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

In the original solicitation, they were described as having new sculpts. Was that BS or is the photo is just a mock-up? I'm hoping they have new head sculpts at the very least.

Quote:
Included in this set are action figures of Harley Quinn and The Joker, both boasting new color schemes and sculpts as well as the 64-page reprint of the award-winning BATMAN: MAD LOVE comic, which defined the complicated and cracked relationship between cute 'n' crazy Harley Quinn and her puddin', The Joker.