Post subject: SDCC DC Direct Interview with Georg Brewer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:53 pm 
Daniel Pickett

It's up on the front page... and it's got a few scoops dropped in

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... ewer_video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:17 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Good stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a long interview with him before like that where he just talks about each line one by one.

I especially enjoyed the parts where he discusses the starting points for certain formats or decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:04 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Thanks Abby and Daniel. I enjoyed this interview more than the DC Direct panel last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:35 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

ummm... 36! Blammoids in the first year and George wants MORE!?!?

I can already see that I need a bigger house ...

Alan Scott 13" is a nice announcement. Not really a surprise I guess. The bigger surprise is that they are uncertain as to the future of the line. I can think of at least a dozen or so other figures that I would think are viable choices before we hit the wall but I may be out of touch on the line. If they are going to "Shake up" the concept though, I would like to see something that maybe LOWERS THE PRICE POINT or offers costume/civilian outfit packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:13 am 
PVC

Thanks for the great interview Julius! Always fun to get some insight into what is going on with Dc Direct.

In any of your discussions with Mr. Brewer, did you happen to get any info about the change in articulation in the History of the DCU line? I preordered the first 3 waves of that line based on what we saw in the early sculpts (i know those are always subject to change) and was disappointed when the first wave arrived without the ball jointed hips. Was there a problem with the design that they couldn't solve? Are the ball jointed hips officially dropped for the line?

For articulation junkies (which this line seems to be attempting to cater to), the hip joint is a pretty big deal. Range of movement and pose is fairly limited without it, making many of the other present joints not as useful. I really enjoyed the first wave, but it felt like buying an incomplete attempt at a figure that could have been so much more.

I know a lot of people who have dropped DCD entirely over the last year or so whose interest was renewed by the HOTDCU figs. I'm not sure from this interview that Mr. Brewer has the passion for this line that I was hoping he would have. He definitely seemed much more passionate about the statues and even the blammoids. Maybe it was just because it was near the end of the interview but I hope he sees the potential for this line and the number of characters they can produce in it. If they could incorporate 2-3 more body sculpts and address the articulation issues, this could be a DCD line that I would love to collect for as long as the line runs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:28 am 
Former King of Posts

I like the way the interview focused on the new product that was at the show.

What I keep hoping for is a wave or line that gives me a few key pieces for my various teams.

JLA - Zauriel

JLI - Rocket Red

and an answer as to why there are no George Perez style women in the History of the DCU line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 am 
Mint on Card

superfriend wrote:
I like the way the interview focused on the new product that was at the show.

What I keep hoping for is a wave or line that gives me a few key pieces for my various teams.

JLA - Zauriel

JLI - Rocket Red

and an answer as to why there are no George Perez style women in the History of the DCU line.

Those are two I'm hoping would be released as well. But also Aztek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:59 am 
We're going streaking!

Good interview, Julius. I met Georg at WWC 2003; I do not always agree with his direction of DC Direct, but he is a nice guy and very easy to talk to. He had a lot less gray hair back then too (but, so did I!).

My main focus from DC Direct is the 13-Inch deluxe line. And if I had more cash, I think their statues are very well done too. Focusing here on the 13-Inch line, Georg's comments have me a little nervous about the line's future. IMO, the line has been hurt the most by the inclusion of the movie-based figures, especially in the cases where Hot Toys has made the same characters. Hot Toys' versions are far superior to the DCD versions (and that's no slight to DCD; Hot Toys is better than everyone else at the moment) and people know this and usually go the 'you pay for what you get' route, which is really true in Hot Toys Vs DCD's case.

If DCD would eliminate the movie 13-Inch figures, focus on the comic-based figures and maybe tweak and update the body a bit, this line still has legs. We have seen one teen figure so far. We are in the midst of a run of female figures, when maybe a teen or that Alan Scott could have broken things up a bit better and moved Catwoman 2 out a bit. I agree that, with Wonder Woman on the way, we have the big names pretty much out the way. But I hope we can still get a few tweeners in there, like The Golden Age JSA, the Silver Age Teen Titans (I think Wonder Girl is a pipe dream at this point) and perhaps one more stab at a ultimate Superman, as the first two are just sufficient. If we can get an Earth-2 Huntress in there as a Bat-related character to round out the line, that would be perfect (so would a JSA E2 Robin). I just hope we at least see a Speedy, Aqualad and Kid Flash before the line bottoms out (pas that on to George for me, will ya Julius? :wink: )

This could also be DC Direct seeing the writing on the wall of Mattel jumping into the market with a similar 12-Inch line. But if that Christopher Reeve figure is any indication, there is no need to worry about Mattel just yet (but it is good to remember that 3-3/4" is to Hasbro as 12" is to Mattel).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:59 am 
Former King of Posts

I'd also like to know any details about getting the other colored rings. The Hal Jordans appeared to be packaged with rings that are similar to the one we got for Blackest Night. I'd love to get a set of matching rings and Geoff Johns said that "they were coming."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:14 am 
Daniel Pickett

I think they are the same as the ones in that JLU trophy room prop as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:21 pm 
Damage Control

So would anyone mind hitting the "highlights" of the interview for those of us unable to see the video (dial up + YouTube = fail)? If not no biggie. Was there any mention of how far/deep they want to go with History of the DCU?