Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Superman: New Krypton Series 1!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:48 am 
Resin

As seen in this week's ToyFare;

Commander/General Kal-El of New Krypton
Brainiac
Mon-El (new costume)
Superwoman

Kal-El and Brainiac are based on Gary Frank's art. ToyFare doesn't say who the others are based on, I think Superwoman is based on Jamal Igle's art (he's the artist on Supergirl), but I'm not sure about Mon-El.

Here's hoping for a few move waves and a proper Gary Frank Superman in the near future (by DCD's standards). This wave is scheduled to ship in October.

I'm hoping we get at least;

Superman (Gary Frank based, classic costume)
Lois Lane (Gary Frank based)
Lex Luthor (Gary Frank based)
Supergirl (I'd love Gary Frank, but I'd be happy with Jamal Igle based)
Nightwing
Flamebird
Metallo (Gary Frank based)
Parasite (Gary Frank based)
General Zod

Post subject: Re: Superman: New Krypton Series 1!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:17 pm 
Factory Worker

I didn't like the Last Zod they put out. I'd buy a new one. A few more villains would make me happy. A parasite would be great.

Probably pick up the Mon-El, but i don't really see the point of the Superwoman.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:09 am 
categorically opposed

Yeah, she's dead. Why not give us Nightwing and Flamebird instead of Superwoman and Brainiac?

I'm sure they'll be in wave two. Hopefully, Mon-El isn't a giant so I can use him as a stand-in with DCUC...if not, I'll toss him on a flight stand to minimize the height difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:21 am 
Resin

If I remember right they hinted she was still alive in the Supergirl annual.

Guess we'll know soon enough since the whole New Krypton saga is ending in May with the War of the Supermen event.

If I had to guess I'd say we'd be lucky to get;

Superman: Secret Origin (all Gary Frank based)
Superman
Lois Lane (at least I'd love Lois but we'll probably get Metallo instead)
Lex Luthor
Parasite

Superman: New Krypton Series 2
Supergirl
Nightwing
Flamebird
General Zod (or maybe Non since we already have Last Son Zod and Ursa, despite that being a different costume)

Anything after that would be a bonus. A massive line like Blackest Night would be great - Superboy, Ursa, Non, General Lane (?), Steel, etc. - but I just don't think we'll get that. Especially since the first wave is coming 6 months after the story has ended.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:14 pm 
Daniel Pickett

It's gonna be really easy to make a custom 6" Christopher Reeves Superman now using the head from the Military Superman figure in this wave.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:52 pm 
serves the Otter

JuliusMarx wrote:
It's gonna be really easy to make a custom 6" Christopher Reeves Superman now using the head from the Military Superman figure in this wave.

Guess I wasn't the only one to notice how much that figure bore an amazing likeness to Reeves. Or was that intentional on DC Direct's part? I haven't read the comic, so was he illustrated with Reeves' likeness in the comics?

What would be the best regular-costumed Superman body to headswap this onto? I'm tired of waiting and hoping for Mattel to offer a 6" Movie Masters Reeves Superman, so this may be the only alternative.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 pm 
Excelsior!

Wow, I don't like Dc Direct but those look really good.

...and that reminds me... I need to read Issue #12. This was a very good mini-series (which helps make the figures more enticing).

One more thing... shabbyblue, yes, Superman is drawn in the mini-series with a nod to Reeve.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:10 pm 
Knows his stuff

ChrisLyne wrote:
Lois Lane (at least I'd love Lois but we'll probably get Metallo instead)

I would dearly love a modern Lois figure. I'd like to get one in DCUC, but I would also buy a DCD version.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm 
PVC

I picked up Superman and Brainiac on Wednesday. I just got to opening Superman. He's really great. very solid action figure. the sculpt is excellent in every way. It's full of subtle details and it captures the art perfectly. I haven't added a superman action figure to my collection in ages but this one was so good, I had to have it.

I hope DCD would make a Superman in the regular costume using the the head sculpt and sculptor, Djordje Djokvic.

I'll be opening Brainiac sometime this weekend and hopefully I could post few shots if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:33 pm 
5" Scale

It has been quite some time since I got picked up any DCD stuff, but this wave really looks pretty cool. I also noticed the likeness to Reeve. Would love to see that on a Superman body down the pike. I'll probable pick this up after the holidays :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:29 pm 
PVC

cool. I usually favor DCD over mattel but DCD hasn't been producing anything that makes me want to spend the money. I also have a small place for my collection so i have to be very choosy when it comes to adding anything new.
I passed on Superwoman (although the figure looks great in person) and Mon-el, but i would pick up more figures if they matched Gary Frank's art from New Krypton, Brainiac, Legion, or Secret Origin stories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:13 am 
Wonderdog

79Bats wrote:
I'll be opening Brainiac sometime this weekend and hopefully I could post few shots if anyone is interested.

Please do, and if you can, pose him JLU Disco Brainiac!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:10 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

LOL funny to hear everybody with the exact ideas. Like almost everybody else i just picked up the Superman and Braniac figures. Love the sculpts on both. I really like the articulation on Supermans arms. That Mon-el figure looked alot better in those early adds. He has a kind of "dumb" look. His cheeks are kinda pudgy...ugh. Superwoman was ok, but at $19 a shot at local comic shop...i passed. Heres hoping DCD at least puts out a 2nd wave. We all know how bad DCD is at continuing their figure lines

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:15 pm 
serves the Otter

What other prominent characters could be made in a 2nd series if DCD decides to produce one?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:16 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I'd like to see the contemporary versions of Neutron and Metallo. Perhaps they could put out Nightwing and Flamebird or the goggless Zod or Zor-El and Alura. I'd love to see just a regular Superman with the Christopher Reeve design by Gary Frank. You could almost drag it out to 3 waves....but i doubt they'll go past wave one