Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lynda Carter as WW Statue: 2007 vs. 2010 Review/Comparison
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:49 pm 
Fugitive Dust

The Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman Statue has been re-released with a new production run in 2010 as part of the DC Comics 75th Anniversary Celebration. I own both versions and have compiled a detailed comparison of the original 2007 release with the new 2010 re-release. Note: Both releases are included in a total edition size of 5000 pieces.

The statues I'm comparing are:

2007 Release: #374/5000
2010 Re-Release: #3086/5000

Packaging:
The packaging has been revised slightly for the 2010 re-release as follows:

Front of Box:
+ DC Direct Logo changed from red to blue, and scaled slightly smaller (bottom right corner)
+ "Limited Edition of 5000" edited to read" Limited Edition" (and moved from bottom left corner to bottom center)
+ DC75 Logo Sticker added to bottom left corner

Left Side of Box:
+ DC Direct Logo changed from red to blue, and scaled slightly smaller (bottom right corner)

Right Side of Box:

Back of Box:
+ TM/© Date updated to (s10) and moved about 2 inches in from the bottom left corner

Top Left inside Flap:
+ Added: "Also Available Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman Bust" with photo (pending approval). NOTE: Photo used is original solicitation photo with the bracelets in silver, which is inaccurate. ETW worked with DC Direct's Design Director to have this oversight corrected. On 02/17/10, we received confirmation (and an updated pre-sale photo) that the production piece would be released accurately with GOLD bracelets: http://experiencethewonder.com/upcoming_releases.php#lynda_bust)

Certificate of Authenticity:
+ DC Direct Logo changed from red to blue (bottom left corner)
+ DC75 Logo added at top right corner
+ TM/© Date updated to (s10)

Casting:

I would not be surprised if the master mold for the 2010 re-release was cast from a fully painted production piece. The new casting quality is noticeably less dynamic than the original with sharp details slightly "smoothed over". In many areas there seems to have been more post-casting "cleanup" needed where on the original 2007 release, it's much cleaner and better represents the subtleties of the original sculpt. Examples of the aggressive cleanup on the 2010 re-release include around the top edge of the bracelets (it almost looks like a seam) and under the fingers which are very rough and almost look like the extra resin/cold-cast porcelain was simply snapped off in a hurry and not smoothed or refined before production. The "recast effect" also causes the original sculpt's subtle muscle definition to be accented and makes Lynda appear even more lean and "ripped" than in the 2007 release - which, in my opinion, Tim Bruckner had already taken many liberties elongating and defining her physique to be more of an amalgam of the comic incarnation than an accurate physical representation of Lynda's stature (probably a directive from the Art Director on this project).

Paint Application:

Overview:
At first glance, the paint application is almost identical between the two releases. The color match is close to perfect between the two - with only subtle differences here and there. However, the 2010 re-release suffers from a less precise and more heavy-handed approach overall, most noticeable in the face application. Personally, I was hoping DC Direct would take this opportunity to correct the color scheme from the 2007 release. The reds are actually inverted - the bodice is lighter red "satin" and the boots are darker red "suede". The gold could have been shinier and the hair should have had auburn highlights. Overall, the face looks nothing like the paint master and only "resembles" Lynda, which I was hoping to see adjusted with more attention to detail in the re-issue.

Face:
For the 2010 re-release, the eyebrows and eyelashes/eyeliner are thicker with a more rounded arch the irises are larger than the 2007 release. Additionally, the bottom inside lid detail (light pink wash) is about 2x the thickness of the 2007 release and makes the eyes look bloodshot and smaller.

Skin:
On the 2010 re-release, the skin tone is a little less yellow and a shade darker than the 2007 release. I actually prefer the skin tone of the 2010 re-release. However, attempts to touch-up over-painted secondary colors (red, gold, etc) are extremely obvious on the re-issue with a more "pink" flesh tone being used for this finish work.

Hair:
The tendrils of the hair are more surface painted on the 2010 re-release. This is not noticeable from the front, but as you turn the statue you can tell. On the 2007 release, they are painted all around and meet the flesh tone exactly where they should as dictated by the sculpt.

Costume:
The detail of the stylized eagle breastplate was executed perfectly on the 2007 release and near perfect on the 2010 release with one stray red stroke over the edge of just one "feather". The red bodice on the 2010 release is a shade darker than the 2007 release, accentuating the oversight of inverting the red hues between the bodice and boots. The white star decals on the pants are more opaque for the 2010 re-release, which is a welcome change. The lasso is coiled a bit looser on the 2010 re-release.

Base:
The figure is mounted onto the base with 2 pegs for both releases. However the 2010 re-release seems more securely mounted and the 2007 release "wobbles" a bit if agitated. Additionally, the 2010 release has a different underside graphic featuring alternate fonts and the classic Wonder Woman logo with an added "embossed" effect. Wording is also edited to read "Produced by DC Direct in 2010".

The Verdict:

For those who already invested in the 2007 release, there is no significant reason to get the 2010 re-release unless you are a crazy completist (like me). Overall the 2007 release is superior with the only exceptions being the adjusted skin tone, more opaque white stars on the pants and stability on the base. However, the 2010 re-release is perfectly serviceable for those who did not get to add this piece to their collection in 2007 and wish to do so now.

The differences were not enough to merit a separate exhibit for the 2010 re-release on ExperienceTheWonder.com, so I have added to our existing exhibit - showcasing the 2007 release - side by side comparison photo:

>> http://experiencethewonder.com/statues_busts/Lynda_Carter_Official_Statue.php

Below is the large version of the photo:

What to do with the extra statue now? I have some ideas already: save it for my nephew's 30th birthday (he's turning 6 next week!); repaint it "my way" with show-accurate colors and a more detailed portrait of Lynda; add a show-accurate cape billowing from behind; resculpt the costume in the ABC version... So, only time and ambition will tell.

After all of this, the only thing I still can't decide is: Which version actually "looks" more like Lynda? Depending on the lighting and position, my preference keeps changing...

Post subject: Re: Lynda Carter as WW Statue: 2007 vs. 2010 Review/Comparis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:37 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Having seen your work my vote would be to see you repaint it and add a cape. I'd love to see what you could do with it. I'm sure it would look a lot more like Bruckner's paint master.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:25 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

to build on what Dan said

I would love to see something original from you. You obviously have talent, and a passion for the character.

Once you finish customizing this one, show us what you can do from scratch.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:13 am 
Fugitive Dust

Thanks so much guys! I am inspired by your thoughts and will keep you posted when I begin the conversion project.

bnjmnrlyr - I'm not sure if you've seen these already, but below is a link to all my Wonder Woman model kit buildups which I keep in a more private area of my site. Many of which I have drastically converted, and resculpted. They are some of my favorite collection pieces because I had a hand in creating them myself.

>> http://experiencethewonder.com/model_kits.php

I shared a detailed WIP of my ARH/Terry Dodson conversion project here:

>> viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15170

I'm currently re-sculpting my IDC Lynda Carter (ABC Costume) Model Kit sculpted by Terry Reynolds in 1997. Her proportions were just all wrong and she had about 40 extra pounds on her. :) It was also my very first buildup - and it shows. So I'm in the process of re-doing the whole thing including giving it a more advanced paint job. :)

I recently painted one of these kits for a friend with "slight" resculping only on the tiara and boots and show it here, next to my original build-up.

So, my rework is going to be a much larger undertaking than the paint job I did for a friend. I have now stripped of all the paint and have begun re-sculpting it to be more in-line with Lynda's proportions as well as refining costume accuracy and details that were omitted from the original. So far, I've refined/augmented the facial features including cheekbones, chin/jaw and nose, raised the waistline, re-sculpted the bodice, breastplate and belt, reshaped the hips and separated the legs (into two) as well as reshaping them to be leaner, and re-sculpted the boots.

If you are interested, I'll share some WIP photos soon...