Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Future Batman series from DC Direct
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:51 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hello all,

I collect mostly Batman series from DC Direct and I was wondering why the character choice was sometimes odd. The upcoming Batman Inc. series features some very uncommon characters such as Batman Knight and Man of Bats. Since Batman action-figures releases are more and more rare, I was hoping that DC Direct would at least make better character choices.

It would have been nice to have a new Ra's Al Ghul figure, but also a new Joker (the one from Batman RIP was great looking). Clayface, Two-face, Killer Croc and the Red Hood would have been nice addition to any Batman collection as well. The Crusader is also a good looking character and would have been an interesting sculpture.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Future Batman series from DC Direct
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

To counter-point ....

I'm glad that DC is making the character choices they are. I would much rather they give me the FIRST Man-of-Bats action figure than the 10th Joker action figure.

Plus, each wave from DC Direct is tied into a specific storyline. So, with the newest release of Batman Inc. it makes more sense to offer figures like Man-of-Bats and the Knight than it would to offer a Joker or Ra's al Ghul who aren't tied into that storyline.

There are enough other figures coming out from other places (like Mattel's DCUC or new Batman Legacy lines) that will offer yet another Joker, Two-Face, or Commisioner Gordon.

I like the variety. I like the odder character choices. I hope they keep doing what they are doing.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:30 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Well, I understand your point of view, but great story arcs have been skipped:

What about:

- the resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul
- Batman R.I.P.
- Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn (as the Batman Reborn line featured mainly characters from Battle for the Cowl and Long Shadow)

I am not complaining about the diveristy, but as a collector, it's a shame to have some "odd characters" before more popular characters. I am not interested in owning 10 versions of the Joker either but the version from Batman RIP was a completely new design of the Joker. That would have been great. Moreover, a Titan Joker as well as a Killer Croc figure would have make a better choice for the Batman Arkham Asylum line (rather than Szaz or Batman Armor for example).

Diversity can be seen in the difference of characters, but also in the difference of version (design?) of one and same character.

However, what about a Ra's Al Ghul? This great character hasn't been done very often (relative to its importance in the comicbook).

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Quote:
However, what about a Ra's Al Ghul? This great character hasn't been done very often (relative to its importance in the comicbook).

Relevant he may be, but visually ... He's a old man with a cape.

While that may work well in the Star Wars universe, he really isn't the most striking visual to work with for toys.

I have the B:TNBA figure as well as the Batman: Hush figure and I love both. Do I need another? Not really, no. Even if it were a direct representation of his newest incarnation in the albino body. It just isn't appealing enough of a visual.

Joker will always get redone. Its only a matter of time. I don't expect there to be a figure for every interpretation, but, yeah, I know he'll come back around sooner rather than later.

Same with Two-Face, Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, Penguin, and all the others.

But then again, I am a collector of the DCU as a whole, and too much Bat-centric characters too soon tends to push me away more than it draws me in.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:16 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Well, I mostly collect Batman related figures. I don't really like other storylines from the DC Universe, too "superheroic" for me (not so fan of multi coloured spandex suits).

When I consider Ra's for an action figure, I mostly refer to his look in Tales of a Demon and Hush:

I think it's the best look/design of the character and one that fans will remember the most (especially for those fan of the Batman animated series)

However, one of the latest representation of Ra's with a sword can be seen in Red Robin:

Not that much from an old man with a cape ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 pm 
Former King of Posts

asura wrote:
Well, I understand your point of view, but great story arcs have been skipped:
I am not complaining about the diversity, but as a collector, it's a shame to have some "odd characters" before more popular characters.

But that is exactly the point. The more popular characters have already been made, over and over again.I'd rather see DC Direct give us 3 new Bat related characters to have my collection grow than 3 repeated characters. I don't buy the same character over again, so there would be no sales to me for such an offering. They might sell, but not to me.

As for Ras Al Ghul, there was one very much in the style you are asking for in the Batman Hush line. I don't think it would be too hard to track him down using the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:39 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Yes I already have that Ra's from the Hush series. It would be nice, however, to have another one, based on the recent events. Since there has been several versions of the Joker and Batman, why not at least another version of Ra's? I think the latter is a major villain of the Batman Universe. The same with Bane and Killer Croc, these are very appreciated so why not updated sculpts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 am 
Wonderdog

theres the hush ras al ghul and trinity ras al ghul from dc direct

i thought the trinity one would be great finally a ras in a suit (but it sucked)

i saw someone else make this custom so i made one for myself

easy release for mattel OR dc direct

and i wish they'd re release their hugo strange head on a suited body as well

such potential...

dc direct should have a line called "detective comics" and just make all bat chars they want