Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC: DC Direct thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

All the news and updates from SDCC 2011 for the various DC Direct lines!

This first post will be updated as news and photos are released; please keep all Comic-Con related DCD news in this thread.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: SDCC: DC Direct thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:12 pm 

For those that missed the SDCC panel schedule...
Quote:
Thursday, July 21, 1:00-2:00 DC Direct
Moderator: Bob Wayne EDITOR: Jim Fletcher

DC Direct has long been known as one of the most creative companies that produce collectibles for the direct market. Come and join DC Direct Director of Product Development Jim Fletcher and artist Adam Hughes, along with DC exclusive sculptors, and more, as they discuss their line of current projects, as well as the future plans revolving around the new DC Universe! Room 5AB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:18 pm 
Former King of Posts

We better have someone at this forum.

My question:
Will they use the new JLI comic as a vehicle to give us a Rocket Red?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm 
active in the community

Look the new DCnU JL figures from DC Direct, they look really good IMO:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2011_San_Diego_Comic_Con%2FDC_Direct+Panrel&dispsize=800&start=0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm 
Unbreakable

Seeing those in toy form makes me like those new costume designs. I won't buy DC Direct figs but they look really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:54 pm 

DC Direct panel:

http://www.comicvine.com/news/sdcc-2011 ... og/143367/

Quote:
DC Direct has brought us some great toys over the years, and the one thing most people like about the lines they put out is that they mix a decent amount of articulation with great sculpting.

More recently, the Search for Bruce Wayne figures were released and more Green Lantern figures were announced. In addition, there is already a a first series of Flashpoint figures hitting the market in the near future.

1:00- Welcome to the wild, wonderful world of the DC Direct panel at San Diego Comic Con coming to you live from the much cooler and brighter room of 5AB. Hopefully, we'll get to see some brand new toys DC is releasing. At least, that's what this panel is about in my mind. Here we go! They announced they'll be getting started very soon.

1:05- Bob Wayne is introducing everyone. Jim Fletcher (hard to hear Bob speak, I hope I got the name right). Adam Hughes is here. Gene Saint Gene is here. John Matthews, a sculptor here. Sanford (Drios?), and Cheeks are here. Adam Phillips is also here, working power point.

Number Ones covers available for buying.... And here we go! Flashpoint figures! Jim Lee just popped in. Andy Kubert helped design the models for the figures. Mainly talking about the first run, and the exclusive Zoom exclusive figure at the Graphitti booth. There's also some Flashpoint shirts.

1:10-JLA figures announced. Jim Lee has the prototypes. Series one will include: Batman, (Aug 2012) Series two is Superman in November 2012. Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash are sculpts in progress. Great looking figures.

1:15- Arkham City figures announced in December 2011. Harley Quinn is the only one they can show. Green Lantern Animated series statues. Atrocitus and Hal Jordan announced. They have a really cool design, just like the animation from the show. DC Universe Online figures start in March 2012. Green Lantern and Flash are the announcements.

Cover girls statues designed by Adam Hughes. They talked about doing a Big Barda statue. Raven is coming up and then Death. They only have the drawing for the Death figure. Batman Black and White up next.

1:20- Ami-Comi Big Barda figure and a third Wonder Woman. Whie Canary and Black Flash. Second version of Hawkgirl. MAD figures. Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Robin, and Alfred. Sorry, internet crashed and I had to sum up a few of the things. Lost a chunk of writing.

1:20- Questions time. Relation to sideshow partnership. Answer: They're really happy with the partnership. They don't want to reveal too much about the deal. Question: Will there be waves from non-reboot stuff? Answer: They're keeping in trend with what is going on with DC.

1:30- Question: Vertigo lines? Answer: Vertigo fans aren't really buying the product. There's some here and there, but it sounds like it isn't worth it. There's a woman on the side dressed as Wonder Woman, she gets a black poker chip. That means there's two Wonder Woman cosplayers in here. Maybe they'll fight. Question: Guy stumbles through his question and asks if there will essentially be Walmart and Target exclusive figures. Answer: No, it's to specialty stores like comic book stores.

1:35- Question: 1:6th scale toys anymore? Answer: Nope. They don't sell very well. Question: Will there be any Manhunter? Answer: They like the character, but nothing right now. Question: Last question: What are the chances of blank Spy vs Spy figures coming out? Answer: They've been talking about it and want to do it.

1:40- Closing up. They said NY Comic Con will have bigger announcements.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:44 pm 
We're going streaking!

Eh. It always seemed like the 1/6 scale figures sold well enough when they were making the right characters (Batman, GL, Green Arrow) and the figures were crap (Wonder Woman!). I am glad to see Sideshow have the license for these now, but the cost scares me, especially since I did pay $70 Shipped for my Alan Scott GL.

The DC Relaunched figures didn't look bad, even Superman. They looked better than their 2D promo representations. And this makes it even more interesting to see what Mattel is doing for the retail DCUC line, which we all assume will be relaunch stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:19 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

DCD is so ridiculously slow with stuff...

I just saw the pictures from the panel. August 2012 for DCNU figs? REALLY?!

By the time those figures get released some of the costumes will be changed. Mark it down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:37 pm 

that's ridiculous. With all the planning (arguable) going into the DCnU, they couldn't get these ready for end of 2011, even early 2012? So at this time next year, we'll still be waiting for the release. :: shakes head ::

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:01 pm 
Unbreakable

DCD solicits their product 12 months out wouldn't it have spoiled the news of the reboot if they solicited these figures last year for a Fall/Winter 2011 release date?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:04 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

:shock: Those look a helluva lot better than I expected. I have very few DC Direct figures, but Wonder Woman and Aquaman are musts for me. Those two look phenomenal. The rest look great as well, but I wouldn't jump through hoops to get them. Too bad it'll take forever to get em...

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:15 pm 
We're going streaking!

hutchprime wrote:
DCD is so ridiculously slow with stuff...

I just saw the pictures from the panel. August 2012 for DCNU figs? REALLY?!

By the time those figures get released some of the costumes will be changed. Mark it down.

I hadn't really thought of that. Great point(s).

kevfett wrote:
DCD solicits their product 12 months out wouldn't it have spoiled the news of the reboot if they solicited these figures last year for a Fall/Winter 2011 release date?

Not really. When "The Dark Knight" was starting to get promo'ed, DCD released solicitations for their related products, including the 13-Inch Batman, and the product came out very soon after, at least when the movie was still in theaters, IIRC. The only difference (maybe) was that they had other product being released regularly, so they could sort of 'hide' those releases.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:10 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

I doubt there is any sort of regulation that they have to solicit 12 months in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:18 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

The Aquaman figure is amazing! I love it. The trident is awesome and the pose is iconic!

When will this DCnU JLA series come out? I saw that there will be two waves? It looks like Aquaman will be in wave 2 right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 am 
ABS

asura wrote:
The Aquaman figure is amazing! I love it. The trident is awesome and the pose is iconic!

When will this DCnU JLA series come out? I saw that there will be two waves? It looks like Aquaman will be in wave 2 right?

I was surprised by how impressed I was with these figures. Superman's shield might be a tad big for my liking but I will def be picking these guys up.