Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: G4 reveals new SDCC Green Lantern 3 3/4 Figures
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:49 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I was all excited about this line until I got to the convention part. I'm okay with exclusives but an entire con-only line? How many figures does that amount per year?

It's a crying shame because they do knock Infinite Heroes right out of the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:57 pm 
serves the Otter

Gosh...

Because what collectors wanted was MORE 3.75" Green Lantern figures this year!

Overpriced and hard to obtain figures too! Yay!

Please stop shoving GL down our throat.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:49 pm 
Collector Inspector

But these look really nice! As one of the Infinite Heroes freaks on here, I approve. These destroy DCIH as far as I can see. It's too bad these aren't an affordable retail wide line next to GI Joe and Marvel Universe. That's where they should be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 pm 
Displays Backwards

funtime3 wrote:
But these look really nice! As one of the Infinite Heroes freaks on here, I approve. These destroy DCIH as far as I can see. It's too bad these aren't an affordable retail wide line next to GI Joe and Marvel Universe. That's where they should be.

I agree with you totally. I loved DCIH, and these look very cool. But $25 for a 2-pack and not in stores? We'll see. Not off to a great start.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm 
Resin

Really hope they ditch the stupid "convention only" idea before they get to the Superman, Batman and League characters that I really want in this scale. No way I can afford scalper mark ups and international postage on a whole line! These look great, would probably have got the most of the line if it was in stores, now I'll be really selective. Ah well, more money to save towards Hot Toys' TDKR line.

Don't get the whole Mattel thing, outside of movie lines they haven't shown any interest in this scale since IH died. They've already confirmed that the new retail line next year is 6" so there's no competition with these.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:28 pm 
An Insider

JuliusMarx wrote:
I suspect the "Con Only" thing is the work around agreement with the Mattel license that allows them to do this line.

I can see it if the agreement was made back when Mattel had their poorly articulated 3.75" Green Lantern Movie figures out in the stores.

But for the last year or so Mattel keeps saying that they have no plans to release a 3.75" DC Universe line. This should now leave the doors wide open for DC Collectibles to try a 3.75" toy line.

Once DC Collectibles finishes their "Green Lantern" themed Convention only sets, I hope that they focus on a 3.75" retail line based on the DC Universe.
FIngers crossed and wishing really hard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

funtime3 wrote:

Truer words were never spoken! :D

I still don't get the convention exclusivity unless DC Collectibles and Mattel have a different deal going than the one they had with DC Direct. We had DCD doing figures alongside DCUC with nobody being the wiser for years before Warners increased control of DC and its properties.

These should be released through Diamond to comic shops at the very least. I mean, DCD made Warners a lot of dough since 1999. It's practically a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:40 am 
Wonderdog

Lt. Clutch wrote:
These should be released through Diamond to comic shops at the very least. I mean, DCD made Warners a lot of dough since 1999. It's practically a no-brainer.

Yes. This.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

If DCIH looked like these, I would have collected that line. These are much nicer, IMO.

Obviously, price and availability seem like they are going to be an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:58 am 
Aspires to be #1

Has DCD ever had a retail line? Have they ever expanded further than conventions and comic book stores? Maybe DC won't allow them to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:08 am 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:
Has DCD ever had a retail line? Have they ever expanded further than conventions and comic book stores? Maybe DC won't allow them to do that.

I remember seeing their watchmen movie figures at TRU and a few other items here and there. but never walmart or kmart. I dont need them in stores, I just need to be able to buy them from places like BBTS

and DCD is part of DC, so if they are not allowed, its not b/c they dont want to, it would be b/c of the deal they have with Mattel and Mattel is paying for the rights to have DC 3 3/4 at retail, even though they never do anything good with it lol

Though I guess some of those kids line might fall into the small figure category

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:12 am 
Mint on Card

I was one of the few DCIH fans as well and these are what they should have been.

Kyle was on my wishlist for DCIH.

I hope I can get one of these sets.

This is what the GL line could have been at retail (movie figures mixed in with Comic Series figures like the Wolverine Origins figures and Cap and Iron Man figures.)

We shall find out more next week what DC Collectibles has in store. I'm thinking (maybe wishfully) that they will do a New 52 line in this scale.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:32 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

DC Direct/Collectibles really doesn't "do" retail items.

I was truly hoping for this line to have stellar DC Direct level sculpts and paint apps. Check.
I was hoping for a modestly reasonable price point of just under $10 per figure. Not quite.
I was CERTAIN that the line would follow every other DC Direct release and be available for order through my local LCS making this a sure fire hit line that I would have no problems collecting.

HA!!!

DC just found a lovely way to "wah wah" all its fans with a pat on the head and the most insincere sad face known to man.

Thanks for keeping my money in my wallet.

(can't wait until WB wakes up, cans the entire "reboot" and gives the lifelong fans a DC we can once again be proud of)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 am 
Daniel Pickett

The interesting thing to me is that this is the first year of DCC/DCD doing an exclusive and not putting an edition number (only 3000! only 5000!), which gives me a bit of hope that they planned ahead, made more than usual and will have these available after the show to folks on the Graffitti website... or their own new DCC e-tailer site.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:04 am 
5" Scale

JuliusMarx wrote:
The interesting thing to me is that this is the first year of DCC/DCD doing an exclusive and not putting an edition number (only 3000! only 5000!), which gives me a bit of hope that they planned ahead, made more than usual and will have these available after the show to folks on the Graffitti website... or their own new DCC e-tailer site.

So do you think their plan might be to sell this as show "exclusives" but sell the "left-overs" on a website?

but even if that there is a plan, unless they are releasing 5 or 6 at each show, going to take a long time to build any kind of collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next