Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC Comics Icons!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:49 am 
Variant Head

Surprised no one posted this, it looks to me like DCC is pretty much making DCUC figures but calling them DC Comics Icons. Looks like the figures with fit in scale wise and style, fully articulated and crazy pack ins on the figures because their are no collect and connects. Sounds awesome!

http://ie001.blogspot.ca/2015/02/dc-com ... -fall.html

Post subject: Re: DCUC lives on ??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:36 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Damn...

Those are nice and clearly DCC has said "to hell with stepping on the toes of our partner Mattel".

Mattel better really step up their game this year or we might see the end of that partnership before too much longer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:01 am 
Loose, Missing Package

They look good but looking at that list it's kind of starting over again. Other than Atomica and the Mike Grell Green Arrow everything listed has been done by Mattel (and many of them over and over by DCD/DCC). Atomica, I don't think, wouldn't look that out-of-place in a DCUC collection but the others shown do have a bit of Reis' "artistic influence" on them. Now, the accessories shown and some of the ones mentioned have me intrigued.

I've brought this up before and it's what I wish was happening here (dang, it PB, your post got me all excited until I read the story). I wish that in this case DCC had contracted out Mattel and the Horsemen (like the way they did with the Mini-Mates, but then that didn't turn out too well, did it?...) to do this line utilizing Mattel's existing molds and "plus-ing" them up. Swap out the Batman and Superman shown with incarnations that Mattel didn't get to like a first appearance Superman along with new-to-DCUC characters and costumes like Atomica and Ryan Choi.

Oh, well... I will give these a look when they arrive (and I still hold out hope for Mattel to come back with Bill Beneke pleading the fifth in that interview)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:21 am 
MINT!

Jim_Abell wrote:
I've brought this up before and it's what I wish was happening here (dang, it PB, your post got me all excited until I read the story). I wish that in this case DCC had contracted out Mattel and the Horsemen (like the way they did with the Mini-Mates, but then that didn't turn out too well, did it?...) to do this line utilizing Mattel's existing molds and "plus-ing" them up. Swap out the Batman and Superman shown with incarnations that Mattel didn't get to like a first appearance Superman along with new-to-DCUC characters and costumes like Atomica and Ryan Choi.)

Yup. While Mattel's sales on DCUC figures may not be enough to keep a multinational company like theirs in the black, I would imagine DCC would be beyond thrilled to sell even half of those numbers. Shame this 'no-brainer' didn't happen, but I'm hopeful DCC will produce MUCH needed figures to fill those embarrassing holes in our DCUC collections.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:51 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Depending on how they actually fit in with the DCUC figures, I'm IN! I might pick and choose in characters in the first few waves and will only get a previously made one if it is a vast improvement or has really cool accessories (like that GL). I hope this line has legs.

Post subject: Vixen
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:36 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

How about getting a Vixen figure in this line? Big overlook by Mattel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 am 
Cold-cast

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Damn...

Those are nice and clearly DCC has said "to hell with stepping on the toes of our partner Mattel".

Mattel better really step up their game this year or we might see the end of that partnership before too much longer.

Let's face it, Mattel's current strategy for the DC license is "F the collector". How many times does Mattel have to repeat their "moms and kids" mantra for collectors to get the message that quality figures are just not a priority for them.

Hopefully things at Mattel will change now that there is a management shake up. I'm proud of DCC for finally stepping up and taking control of the situation. Just like Marvel Studios realized they don't need 20th Century Fox or Sony to make good movies, DCC is realizing they don't need Mattel to make great toys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:48 pm 
Resin

OK, #1, these are not in the style of DCUC by any stretch of the imagination (although that is subjective) and only time will tell if they scale well with DCUC and ML but mostly, DCC figs do not.

#2 they tried this already. Anyone remember History of the DC Universe? That was their stab at DCUC type figures with standard bodytypes and more articulation. 4 series is not bad for DCC but they were generally not well recieved.

No, these are DCC-styled figs with their trademark unique sculpting front and center, but with more articulation that we have come to expect. But if those legs aren't coming with thigh swivels or hips that can move they won't be able to pose. We'll have to see.

I do hope these come out and they're not really big like most of their figs because they excell at sculpt and paint and if they can cross that line of articulation, solid production and scale, they will have a big big fan who will buy a ton of these figs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:28 pm 
Cold-cast

The Batman and Superman figures really feel like they are inspired by Mattel's DCUC line. Especially Batman's utility belt. These are non-artist specific and aren't New 52 designs, just like DCUC. When I place the DCC and Mattel DCUC figures side by side, the difference in size isn't that different.

I really hope DCC's plan works. One encouraging sign is that chatter seems to have migrated to the DC Directives message boards and away from the Mattel one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:27 pm 
Bob Vila

StrangePlanet wrote:
OK, #1, these are not in the style of DCUC by any stretch of the imagination (although that is subjective) and only time will tell if they scale well with DCUC and ML but mostly, DCC figs do not.

#2 they tried this already. Anyone remember History of the DC Universe? That was their stab at DCUC type figures with standard bodytypes and more articulation. 4 series is not bad for DCC but they were generally not well recieved.

No, these are DCC-styled figs with their trademark unique sculpting front and center, but with more articulation that we have come to expect. But if those legs aren't coming with thigh swivels or hips that can move they won't be able to pose. We'll have to see.

I do hope these come out and they're not really big like most of their figs because they excell at sculpt and paint and if they can cross that line of articulation, solid production and scale, they will have a big big fan who will buy a ton of these figs.

These are the points that came to mind for me too when I saw these. I would love for Mattel to wake up, realize where they went wrong with DCUC, go back to that point and start again with the line, filling in gaps and correcting previous badly done figures. I hope for that.

But these look like DCC's way of bridging that gap. The hips need to have a good range of motion, or else they'd be better switching to the DCUC style to help make these fit in with that line ( i prefer that they did this). I like the more standard, non artist specific sculpts, and the classic look to the characters costumes. If they can make newer, better versions of some of Mattels mistakes/ unmade characters (Perez Starfire, and the other Perez era Teen Titans, correct scale Knightfall characters like Bane, Catwoman, Nightwing, Classic Killer Croc in comics scale, etc) then I'll happily re-buy characters and merge the two lines together.

I think these could be great, keep the costumes classic, the scales between characters correct ie: young teen first appearance, older teen established and adult. Make big characters big but not oversized, like Bane, Croc, Blockbuster etc. If a character like Bane is just under 7ft in the comics, he should only stand just a head above Batman, not like the DCUC one. First appearance Dick Grayson Robin and Tim Drake Robin need to be smaller than One Year Later and Red Robin, who in turn need to be smaller than Batman.
A decent teen female body like Hasbro's recent Spider Girl figure.

Looking at the pics, some work better than others. I prefer the classic DCUC Aquaman to this one, but the Superman looks nicer than DCUC. You can always sell a re-do of a character that has been done before, if the one you put out is better than it's predecessor. And this is how I think they'll need to go to make this work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:14 pm 
An Insider

I want to see the Toy Fair photos for these figures. I will add a few of these to my collection.
$24.95 ea. @ DCBS = $16.97 ea. Getting a discounted price is the only way that I will be buying these.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:59 pm 
Bob Vila

I am keen to see what Wonder Woman looks like when they make her. It could very well replace the DCUC one if it's good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:17 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
batfink wrote:
The Batman and Superman figures really feel like they are inspired by Mattel's DCUC line. Especially Batman's utility belt. These are non-artist specific and aren't New 52 designs, just like DCUC. When I place the DCC and Mattel DCUC figures side by side, the difference in size isn't that different.

I really hope DCC's plan works. One encouraging sign is that chatter seems to have migrated to the DC Directives message boards and away from the Mattel one.

Actually I think Ivan Reis is the one where these figures are inspired by. It says it on the link the op posted in the thread, and again here on AFI's news of this cool new DC stuff... :)
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/dc-collectibles-unveils-2015-line-up-tfny/

Quote:
“2015 is going to be another groundbreaking year for DC Collectibles,” said Geoff Johns, chief creative officer of DC Entertainment. “#DCTV has exploded and so we’re following suit with figures and props. Also our new ‘Icons’ action figure line will be a new core universe of heroes and villains led creatively by the great Ivan Reis.”

Quote:
“Being part of this project is a great honor,” said artist Ivan Reis. “Knowing the ‘Icons’ action figures will be based on my art adds a new level of inspiration to my work. I was also thrilled to learn this series will feature many classic versions of the characters that were part of my childhood.”

I'm glad DC is making figures of many of their characters, and I hope the ranks and numbers rival or beat Mattel's DCUC, (I despised Mattel's DCUC designs and QC, so I never collected them.) I wanted well made DC figures that looked cool and were in scale with one another.

Update...
WAIT!!! Hold the presses Chief! Superman won't be out until next friggin year, and where is WW? I would hope the releases would have been a little sooner (like May or June) and they would have had the big 3 at the helm of each wave like so...

Wave One: Superman and the others
Wave Two: Batman and the others
Wave Three: Wonder Woman and the others

Darn, hopefully this line won't get cancelled before we even get Superman (not to mention Wonder Woman WTHeck DC where is WW) I really just want SM, BM, WW, Flash, GL, and pretty much just the classic Justice League Members. I've been wanting one for years and tried to collect figures from each DC Direct Line that actually looked like they maybe could fit in with one another but before they ever made all of them the lines were cancelled or something.
*DC if you fail this line I'm coming for blood (well not really but I haven't been this pumped for DC stuff since 2011. lol)

*other update... So wait these figures will fit in with each other yet will sometimes be different costume designs from different eras? (Not sure how I feel about that) I like Flash from his later 2000's series... Oh well he still looks boss. Ha ha

Okay long post/rant over. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:37 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

The odds of DCC ever ending a line before they get to Batman, Superman and Wonder WOman in another unneeded style is the day they will stop making figures..

Also- everyone here saying they cant wait to get them, are any of you the same people that flipped out when the line went from 9.99 to 14.99 to 19.99 and said you were out one of those times,

and now you are happy at 24.95 (and whos to say that wont go up) -- I just don't get it..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:59 pm 
active in the community

stewbacca wrote:
The odds of DCC ever ending a line before they get to Batman, Superman and Wonder WOman in another unneeded style is the day they will stop making figures..

Also- everyone here saying they cant wait to get them, are any of you the same people that flipped out when the line went from 9.99 to 14.99 to 19.99 and said you were out one of those times,

and now you are happy at 24.95 (and whos to say that wont go up) -- I just don't get it..

Who cares? Why do you? Now we question and challenge what people can or can't get excited or be happy about? That's not your place. It's all well and good that you don't like them. But don't dare for one second sit there and tell other people how they should be feeling about it. It's not your concern what or how much people spend on the things they love.