Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Gods?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:01 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

So as I slowly fill in the blanks in my DC Direct collection I'm coming across a few characters that have had past figures or figures in other lines and I'm not quite sure which ones to go with. I prefer DC Direct because of their sculpts but I have a couple of DC Universe Classics figures sprinkled in too.

I noticed that they released Mister Miracle and Big Barda in a two pack with Oberon back in the early years of DC Direct and in the last few years have released new versions of Mister Miracle and Big Barda in their New Gods series. Does anyone know which versions are the better ones in terms of scale and sculpt?

Also how do the New Gods series figures stack up to the rest of the DC Direct releases in general? Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Light Ray, Metron and Orion are the ones I'm really interested in.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New Gods?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 pm 
ABS

I have superman and Kalibak, they're pretty cool, their facial features are a little exaggerated and cartoonish. I love these figures. They're a little too big for the DCUC but you wouldn't notice unless you were a collector for years!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

princeofpop98 wrote:
I have superman and Kalibak, they're pretty cool, their facial features are a little exaggerated and cartoonish. I love these figures. They're a little too big for the DCUC but you wouldn't notice unless you were a collector for years!

Thanks, but I was wondering more about how they look next to the rest of the DC Direct/DC Collectibles figures, not really DCUC. Don't get me wrong, I dig some of the DCUC stuff but the sculpts from DC Collectibles usually are a million times better, so I try to stick with them for the most part.

Specifically I was wondering how they look next to the New 52 action figure releases.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:42 pm 
Collector Inspector

I have all of both waves of the New Gods figures. I LOVE these figures, and for the reason that is probably not going to work for you. They look exactly like they jumped off Jack Kirby's pages. The fingers are very square and blocky, as is most everything. I can tell you for certain that that silly new 52 Darkseid would look like a mexican knockoff next to that enormous Kailbak figure. The old Mr Miracle/Barda Oberon set I remember looking pretty goofy and "toy-ish", so I'm guessing they wouldnt work for you either. But it does look like Orion is going to be or is already in Action comics, so maybe more of the new gods will pop up. Hope that helps!

Also, not to hijack your thread, but if any of you guys know your way around photoshop really well, I'd like to take the art style of the New Gods packaging and make a template for a box to fit the DCUC Mobius Chair in, so I can display it in my MOC New Gods display. If anyone thinks they can help with that, hit me up on pm. I'll be your bff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 pm 
active in the community

I just happened to buy this whole set (minus Supes) off of eBay last week and I'm a digging them quite a bit. Other than the arms looking (foreshortening optical illusion?) a tad stubby when bent, I love that these figures are Jack Kirby drawings brought into the 3rd dimension. To me, Kirby's Darkseid is the mastermold. I've dug other interpretations in the past but the original is hard to top. Even the JLU version that veered away from the classic Kirby look felt a bit off to me.

I can't say how they stack up to the rest of the DC Direct because I'm new to collecting and (for space reasons) am extremely picky about what I get in the 6" size. But I am very curious about the answer! I was hoping to pick up the Terry Dodson WW as my 6" Wonder Woman entry and want them to look good standing side-by-side.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 pm 
active in the community

Had to go back to eBay to get Superman but he was very reasonably priced. A Kirby-inspired Superman is both peculiar and rad all at the same time. I love this set. For some reason, my set came with tiny motherboxes. But Metreon without the Möbius chair is a missed opportunity at title for coolest thing ever. Regardless, as I've gotten older, my appreciation for his art has only grown, so it's wonderful to be able to get this because I don't think I'll ever be able to afford any of his actual art.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:37 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Posted a tribute to the King on my blog a few days back in honor of his Birthday:

http://fastestfanalive.com/post/59638076788/jackkingkirby1

I absolutely love the New Gods figures, although I've yet to pick up Kalibak, Darkseid or Superman. I'm probably going to skip Darkseid and Superman since I have newer versions of both, but I don't yet have a Kalibak.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I love the Kirby New Gods figures. I am very happy that I picked these up. I would slavishly pick up any DC character done in Kirby style.

I wish Marvel Select would pick up on the Kirby action and produce some figures in that style. I was reading some Kirby Captain America and The Falcon TPBs and all I could think of was how cool Kirby inspired figures of these characters would look.

John