Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Direct 13" Figure Thread: Poison Ivy, Anyone?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 pm 
active in the community

I wouldn't doubt that a reason for eBay scarcity is that a lot of retailers just aren't ordering these anymore. The price has just gotten too high for such hit-and-miss end results.

I got everything up to Wonder Woman, and then lost a lot of faith in the line. A lot of noise was made that the character's delay was because they were trying to do it right-- it's amazing how DCD just threw up their hands and ended up doing absolutely NOTHING right with poor Diana.

After Zatanna, only Alan Scott for me, and after that, nothing on the horizon has looked good enough to lay down the $. And while Kingdom Come Supes looks decent, who needs yet another one-off on the shelf? There's no guarantee they'll do any more Kingdom Come or Ross characters at all for him OR Justice Batman to stand with.

Sadly, I speculate we'll see a movie GL in summer 2011 and then they'll be done. Never mind Firestorm, Dr. Fate, Hawkman, Red Tornado, Deathstroke, and a dozen other characters that would've sold easily, if the line hadn't already driven away a lot of its customer base with mismanagement of so many aspects of what should've been a spectacular line.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:59 pm 
We're going streaking!

Agreed on all points, Rod Keith! Wonder Woman made me rethink pre-ordering these and the last pre-order I put in was for Alan Scott (I know I had Zatanna pre-ordered before I received Wonder Woman; I think I had Balent Catwoman pre-ordered too).

I always felt that the line continually lost its' way trying to cater to the movie market and other areas of DC outside of the comic book arena. This hurt even more when Hot Toys blew their DC Movie stuff out of the water -- BB & TDK, Superman Returns, Watchmen. Even at a significant savings, who wanted the DCD versions???

The continual price increase for a sub-standard body certainly doesn't help either.

I hope the line endures -- I still dream of a pre-New Teen Titans line-up, even if I have to do without Donna -- and the cost is minimal to me since the ones I want are so few & far in-between, but I think the line is about over. Georg Brewer even hinted it at it in a AFi interview with Julius Marx.

No company kills a line like DC Direct!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:57 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I finally received my Poison Ivy yesterday and boy is she ugly! It had a lot of potential but the paint on her makes her look like she's in her late 50s. Whoever is behind the design of the 13" figures is definitely in the Alex Ross school of making all the superheroes (and villains) a lot older than they should be. This Ivy will definitely need her pheromone charms to get people to kiss her since there's no way my lips would get close to a granny in green tights.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:37 pm 
We're going streaking!

Wildcard wrote:
I finally received my Poison Ivy yesterday and boy is she ugly! It had a lot of potential but the paint on her makes her look like she's in her late 50s. Whoever is behind the design of the 13" figures is definitely in the Alex Ross school of making all the superheroes (and villains) a lot older than they should be. This Ivy will definitely need her pheromone charms to get people to kiss her since there's no way my lips would get close to a granny in green tights.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:11 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

gah,this line's females bug the crap outta me.
they all look like manly bodybuilders or fat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:09 pm 

If DC Direct no longer wants to produce this line, can DC at least give the license to a company that will do something exciting with it? I would pay good money for good figures.

Question: what is the price point you would want to see in a 1:6 line to get the quality you would want? I know quality is subjective, but if you only wanted to pay $50 you know you would get less of a figure than you would get at $75 or $100.

What do you think?

John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 pm 
We're going streaking!

At the current price point of these, I feel like I am already getting less of a figure!

I don't know what I would pay for a better 1:6 scale DC line, whether it be from DC Direct or otherwise. Especially as I seriously consider taking what will probably be a huge loss and divesting myself of my Sideshow Collectibles 1:6 scale Star Wars collection. At over $100 each shipped, they are now priced out of my price range for what I want to pay for a figure that has a 100% chance of staying boxed up (I have yet to open any of my SSC Star Wars figures).

I don't even get that upset over this line anymore because I cannot recall the last time I took a figure out of the box and put it on display... I have no more space.

The upcoming Mattel Superman will be interesting (and yes, I will be buying it) and I hope it is great, but I am torn on whether I want to see Mattel continue on with a DC line in this scale, just because of my own personal dilemmas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I buy all of the DC 1:6 for $50. I have to wait a bit to find them for that price, but so far I've gotten them all for that price. I just got Poison Ivy for $50 the last few hours of the last day of Comic Con.

I don't get any of the movie ones and I passed on Batman Beyond and Sgt. Rock, but otherwise I had them all. The only one I'm still missing that I'm looking for is the purple Catwoman.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:36 pm 

I'm with you Julius...I have been able to get the few figures I have bought (Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Supergirl) below my LCS' retail price. Being patient has helped me snag things for a decent price. That way I can better live with the flaws these figures have.

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:25 am 
We're going streaking!

JuliusMarx wrote:
I buy all of the DC 1:6 for $50. I have to wait a bit to find them for that price, but so far I've gotten them all for that price. I just got Poison Ivy for $50 the last few hours of the last day of Comic Con.

I don't get any of the movie ones and I passed on Batman Beyond and Sgt. Rock, but otherwise I had them all. The only one I'm still missing that I'm looking for is the purple Catwoman.

These days, I think I pay around $74 shipped from DCBS for a new figure. That was for the last few, but I have bought so few lately.... Before that, it was around $10 cheaper before the prices went up. I have a few I got much cheaper later, like Bizarro.

No movie ones for me either! But I have all of the comic book ones except SC Sinestro, Green Lantern re-release w/ extra heads, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Batman Beyond and Sgt. Rock. I am skipping Kingdom Come Superman and Alex Ross Batman, unless I can get them cheap on the secondary market.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:00 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Bought my 1:6 DCD Poison Ivy with the intention of doing a face repaint. Re-did her makeup completely with acrylic paints. I think it turned out nice. I think she went from looking like she was in her 50's to maybe middle 30's..haha
I also changed the costume a bit, changed the corset, gave the costume some lite metallic green glitter on the gloves,over her eyes and leaves in her hair and gave her green metallic leaves/vines that wrap around her boots.(Not pictured) Repainted her fingernails metallic green also. The red just looked weird to me. lol
I am happy with how it turned out. She is much easier to look at now..haha

BEFORE REPAINT:

AFTER REPAINT and costume changes:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:37 am 
Daniel Pickett

Very nicely done. That's usually the case with the 1:6 scale stuff. The sculpt is usually there, but something gets lost in the paint at the manufacture point.

Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:30 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

JuliusMarx wrote:
Very nicely done. That's usually the case with the 1:6 scale stuff. The sculpt is usually there, but something gets lost in the paint at the manufacture point.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you. :) Yeah I liked the sculpt and thought it had some potential. But like you said with the original manufacture paint, something gets lost and it was just bland and not flattering.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:31 am 
Knows his stuff

Woah! dingus890, your repaint looks so much better! Easily takes years off her. Well done. Seeing how well yours turned out, I might consider trying something similar if I can find her fairly cheap.

DC Direct seriously needs to work the eye liner a bit more. Image

Check out Action Figured Out for additional plastic ponderings!
DCUC Wave 15 reviews coming soon!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:22 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Sekmet wrote:
Woah! dingus890, your repaint looks so much better! Easily takes years off her. Well done. Seeing how well yours turned out, I might consider trying something similar if I can find her fairly cheap.

DC Direct seriously needs to work the eye liner a bit more. Image

Thank you so much! It really is amazing what eye liner can do..haha Before she looked like she hadn't slept in about 2 weeks. The DCD painters made the mistake of outlining the whole eye and not having larger lashes on top. Creating a squinting older eye. Also adding some silver over the bottom lash paint opens the eyes more. wow i am a dude that knows way to much about lashes...lol I say go for it if Ivy is one of your favorite characters. i found mine on e ba y for $50.00. And have no fear when painting :) it can only look better than it did lol Nate-

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next