Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I LIKE Turner-styled figures.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:06 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Identity Crisis Wave One looks awesome to me. I'm looking forward to Silver Age Zatanna, Hawkman, a new Green Lantern, and two new villains.

Identity Crisis Wave Two sounds awesome to me. I'm looking forward to Silver/Bronze Age Batman, new scale Barry Allen Flash, a new Black Canary, a newer Elongated Man, and another new villain.

I'm looking forward to the potential for a Superman and Batman Wave Two. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, and Darkseid.

The best part? They're all in scale with each other, and they're all in the same style.

Yeah, the girls are too tall, have too long legs and too large breasts. And yes, the men are out of proportion and have too large muscles. But... these are comic book super heroes! They're supposed to!

The next 18 months are going to be great. Maybe we'll even get an Identity Crisis Wave Three with Hal Jordan Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Atom and another villain.

Anybody with me, or am I alone in being excited about all this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:10 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

You're alone.

:P Just kidding. But my issue with the wave is - we've been waiting for a modern Hawkman & Perez Zatanna forever, and these won't fit in with the "look" of the rest of the JLA. And most likely this is our only shot of getting this Zee.

Plus Ollie is wearing a miniskirt.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:16 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I think they look phenomenal. I won't be buying any, as superheroes aren't my thing, but I still appreciate their beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:28 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Well like they said in the interview, (warning: oxymoron ahead) DC's marketing geniuses want to tie in their toylines with the big hit comics. Collectors want a Silver Age Zatanna. DC Direct wants to make a Silver Age Zatanna. The only way its going to happen is in the context of an artist-specific line like Identity Crisis. I'm willing to make that sacrifice. Especially if eventually I can have a Turner JLA to display next to my Jim Lee Batman set.

C'mon, people. This is what we've always wanted: whole sets or teams in one style and one scale. And until George Perez does a JLA miniseries, this is the best we'll get. Maybe we should be complaining to Perez for not doing a new miniseries, and not to Georg for not making the toys we want :)

And its not a miniskirt, dang nabbit, its the bottom of a belted off tunic! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:19 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

One of many. wrote:
Well like they said in the interview, (warning: oxymoron ahead) DC's marketing geniuses want to tie in their toylines with the big hit comics. Collectors want a Silver Age Zatanna. DC Direct wants to make a Silver Age Zatanna. The only way its going to happen is in the context of an artist-specific line like Identity Crisis. I'm willing to make that sacrifice. Especially if eventually I can have a Turner JLA to display next to my Jim Lee Batman set.

C'mon, people. This is what we've always wanted: whole sets or teams in one style and one scale. And until George Perez does a JLA miniseries, this is the best we'll get. Maybe we should be complaining to Perez for not doing a new miniseries, and not to Georg for not making the toys we want :)

I know, I know...I get the reasons behind it, but it still stinks. We coulda had that Zatanna thrown in with Crisis and it would have looked great. I'm still gonna buy some of these, it's just frustrating for us long-time fans to get what we want*

*with a catch. Blue Zatanna? Sure! Oh, but it's styled soas it won't fit in with the rest of your JLA. But you should be happy we're throwing you this bone!

It is nice to see whole waves in style/scale with each other though.

quote="One of many."]And its not a miniskirt, dang nabbit, its the bottom of a belted off tunic! :)[/quote]

You say potayto, I say potahto! :lol: [/i]

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:37 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

The Superfly wrote:
I know, I know...I get the reasons behind it, but it still stinks. We coulda had that Zatanna thrown in with Crisis and it would have looked great. I'm still gonna buy some of these, it's just frustrating for us long-time fans to get what we want

You know, you could buy lots and lots of her Seven Soldiers mini, making DC think it's a hot comic, tricking them into making her in those duds...

Post subject: Re: I LIKE Turner-styled figures.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:53 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

One of many. wrote:
Yeah, the girls are too tall, have too long legs and too large breasts. And yes, the men are out of proportion and have too large muscles. But... these are comic book super heroes! They're supposed to!

Wow, I bet you're a big Rob Liefeld fan.

Me, I'm all for dynamic, larger than life (figuratively speaking) sculpts, but I would like them to follow some simple rules of anatomy. Hawkman's pin head and gorilla arms are just too damn weird for my collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:43 am 
Resin

I like them. And I can't wait for the Turner Supergirl wave, I've been waiting for that announcement ever since they announced the Public Enemies figures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:36 am 
shirtless hugger

I don't mind the idea of a Turner-inspired wave, but I think the majority of figures in it look weak. I'll pick up the Hawkman, who's grown on me, however. I'll wait for reviews/comparisons of everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:45 am 
bluesparrow wrote:
I don't mind the idea of a Turner-inspired wave, but I think the majority of figures in it look weak. I'll pick up the Hawkman, who's grown on me, however. I'll wait for reviews/comparisons of everyone else.

I'm not a fan Turner's work myself, but Ray Villafane did an amazing job sculpting the Hawkman figure. You can see in progress pics at his site...

http://www.villafanestudios.com/gallery2.htm

more pics here, but you'll need to register...

http://theclubhouse1.net/forums/viewtop ... hlight=ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:58 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I like 'em a lot. I'm excited to be getting a Perez costumed Zatanna, no matter what.

And I'd love a Seven Soldiers of Victory line.

<---Especially Zatanna's new costume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:05 am 
Mr. Bungle wrote:
I like 'em a lot. I'm excited to be getting a Perez costumed Zatanna, no matter what.

And I'd love a Seven Soldiers of Victory line.

<---Especially Zatanna's new costume.

That'd be great; especially if they could translate Sook's style.

OT: I really dug the first issue Zatanna. What did you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:11 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I thought it was fantastic. I think Morrison definitely did her justice.

I was worried initially, even though I'm a big Morrison fan. The 4-page preview I read online convinced me it would be good, and the full issue delivered. Even my friends who know nothing about Zatanna think it's been the best of the Seven Soldiers books so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:19 pm 
ABS

I like his style....He's not my favorite but I do think the IC figures look sweet.....I've no complaints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:15 am 
Factory Worker

I would've preferred a more generic, non artist style line but I don't mind Turner's art either.

I just love that I am just a few months removed from getting Deadshot, Dr. Light and a classic look Zatanna. Just hope they are within reasonable scale.

What really bothers me is the lack of Villains in Wave 2. I wouldn't mind repeat characters if they got us more new characters but outside of Owen Mercer, the whole line is of repeats. And I also would have liked a Classic Boomerbutt over his unproven son.