Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:28 am 
Tis' but a pup

I like what I have seen from the ID Crisis wave one. Since the idea that they won't look exactly the same as my other JLA guys doesn't bother me (It jus doesn't bother me), I think it'll be great to have a better looking Hawkman and GA, and the addtions of Zatanna, Deadshot and Dr. Light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:57 am 
Damage Control

Jury's still out for me. But I like the IC stuff better than the Bat/Supes stuff which looks way too "toony" for my JLA display. The IC stuff looks like it could fit in as long as the scale is there. Scale will be the determining factor for me. I'm having to hodge podge a JLA between multiple lines. It shouldn't have to be this hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:22 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I personally love michael turners work, and this totally tops it off, I know that sometimes they arent anatomically correct but think of what they would look like if they were.... they would look like the dork in the new superman outfit for the movie. they are meant to be over exagerated a bit and made to stand out and he does that perfectly. he accents where it needs to be done, like hawkman as a huge thundering body builder type, and his flash, people dont like it, but when a guys runnin that much and that fast he had better have thighs that big. (whew) ok my rant is done to defend turner. another thing is it seems that people really dont like the tunic look, but I think its a good nod back to the fact that ollie is the "robin hood" of our day

Post subject: Pepsi or Coke?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:40 pm 
That's what happens when you put out lines specifically based on certain artists. More folks are gonna hate them. I generally like the Turner art but I thought they could have made these figures a bit better.

I like the art that inspired the Long halloween but I don't like and won't buy the figures. And the Ed McGuiness figures are just sad and abominable.

Now, let's get some some Matt Wagner and David Mazzuchelli Bat-figures!
-S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:18 pm 
Dog Squeezer

So what artist's would folks like to see have figures.

I've already mentioned that I'd love to Darwyn Cooke figures (probably alone on that as it's sorta obscure!)

I was re-reading The Nail, and I think Alan Davis based figures would be great.

As for actual Marketable artists, why not go with the classics?

What about a Neal Adams line? Who could argue with that? :D

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:51 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I think most fans would love a Neil Adams wave. I also think a Curt Swan Superman family wave would sell... but I don't think the head of DC marketing will let that pass. A Sprang wave would sell also.

Julius M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:00 pm 
Crime Against Nature

SpyMagician wrote:
I've already mentioned that I'd love to Darwyn Cooke figures (probably alone on that as it's sorta obscure!)

I would sooooo be there for a Darwyn Cooke line. Which would basically be like getting a 6" Bruce Timm line. ;) With a Fleischer Superman!

It sucks that fans would most like a George Perez or Garcia-Lopez line, but that's too on-model for DC marketing, I guess.

It's really a bummer that all the "hot" artists tend to be flashy Image sorts with a bad grasp of anatomy and proportion. But boy, do they got that cross-hatching down!

I'd kill for an Ordway Shazam! line, or a Gammill Superman line, or a Mazzuchelli Batman line, or an Eisner Spirit....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:38 pm 
Dog Squeezer

You know,

Maybe the problem is that DC Marketing thinks that to be an "artist's" wave it has to be a really over the top, exaggerated style (McGuinness, Sale, Turner, etc).

We all seem to like the more classic style of art (Adams, Perez, Ordway, Gammil) with more realistic proportions...which to marketing "geniuses" must seem too normal and just like plain ol' toys.

It's a shame they go for the "current hot storyline" and "new" versions or characters. If you look at aftermarket prices, who wants Effigy or Fatality or those type of figures? Whereas the JSA or Silver Age figures hold or increase value.

Honestly, after Infinite Crisis blows over, who is going to want "young" Captain Boomerang?

And I'll still buy them, but I would much prefer a more classic Deadshot or Deathstroke to the artist specific ones...

My main hope for DCD is that the First Appearances line will continue to expand and get us more classic artist interpretations of characters (like the almost Perez Nightwing upcoming for example...)

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:30 pm 
MINT!

I can't wait to see how the IC Batman figure turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:09 am 
Tis' but a pup

JuliusMarx wrote:
I think most fans would love a Neil Adams wave. I also think a Curt Swan Superman family wave would sell... but I don't think the head of DC marketing will let that pass. A Sprang wave would sell also.

Julius M

Does this confirm the rumoured Swan Superman wave has been shelved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:20 am 
Factory Worker

I hope the Curt Swan Superman and even the Jim Lee Superman make it next year. The movie might help get them approved!

(But I hope it's NOT all-Superman next year.... let's maintain a healthy among Supes, Bats and the rest of the flock)