Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:33 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

geoffdude wrote:
At the end of the day, Mattel decides, who sculpts the line, case ratios, character selection, line managers, etc. They run their company, not the retailers. The retailers can "suggest" "influence" "refuse purchase" whatever... but Mattel decides, and either gets buyers' orders (sales) or doesn't based upon what they choose to do. Wal-Mart is not going to send a Wally employee to Mattel's Corp office to set ratio standards for Mattel's products.

Character selection... hmmm,... seems to me that WB/DC has something to say about that or Mattel would have happily cranked out lots and lots of Hal Jordans for us by now...

And going back to the case ratios and the point I made in a previous post, it Mattel doesn't make the sale there is no line -- which would you rather have, some Trinity packs that will eventually sell (and they will, it's just taking longer than normal) or no line at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:35 pm 
Collector Inspector

Here is an idea. Maybe suggest to Mattel to also use BAF in the new JLU figures. It could help with even distrobution of each character just like someone suggested it did for Marvel legends and will for DCSH. Now I know this probably will never happen so don't all juimp on me at once. It was just an idea. Would be kinda neat way to get bigger characters and you would only need 6 characters for each piece of the BAF. This of course would only work with single characters. Or you could have a piece of a character split into 2 waves of the 3 packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:45 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
Here is an idea. Maybe suggest to Mattel to also use BAF in the new JLU figures. It could help with even distrobution of each character just like someone suggested it did for Marvel legends and will for DCSH. Now I know this probably will never happen so don't all juimp on me at once. It was just an idea. Would be kinda neat way to get bigger characters and you would only need 6 characters for each piece of the BAF. This of course would only work with single characters. Or you could have a piece of a character split into 2 waves of the 3 packs.

Actually, I really like this idea and I hope it can happen -- hell, this may even be why Mattel is holding back specific info on the future of the line...

I could definitely live with JLU 2 packs with a BAF piece in place of the third figure. We could get bigger figures than the 6 pack ones this way... Just as a wild suggestion do the waves up as a wave of six, each pack would contain one of the "big guns" with a new character and a piece of a BAF (left arm, right arm, upper torso/head, lower torso, left leg, right leg). Drop the single packs completely and pack an accessory with one or both figures or something for the BAF. I know I'm dreaming here, but I'm getting bored with debating reality with geoffdude right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:49 pm 
Collector Inspector

Quote:
I know I'm dreaming here, but I'm getting bored with debating reality with geoffdude right now...
Quote:

AMEN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:41 pm 
Collector Inspector

some suggestions of characters for the BAF JLU idea.

Amazo (correct scale amazo grey or gold I'd like the gold)
General Eiling ( I think that's how it's spelled)
Winged Victory
S.T.R.I.P.E.
Luthor/Brainiac first phase (one with face in stomach)
Grundy
Extremists (Lord Havok & Gorgon)
Rampage

All I can think of right now that appeared on the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:43 pm 
Bob Vila

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
some suggestions of characters for the BAF JLU idea.

Amazo (correct scale amazo grey or gold I'd like the gold)
General Eiling ( I think that's how it's spelled)
Winged Victory
S.T.R.I.P.E.
Luthor/Brainiac first phase (one with face in stomach)
Grundy
Extremists (Lord Havok & Gorgon)
Rampage

All I can think of right now that appeared on the show.

Duuuuude... Brimstone....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:48 pm 
Collector Inspector

I thought about brimstone but he would be too big. I was thinking they should release him in the 10' line as well as Giganta and Atom Smasher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:36 pm 
Prototype

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
I thought about brimstone but he would be too big. I was thinking they should release him in the 10' line as well as Giganta and Atom Smasher.

I agree. A 10" Brimstone would be awesome! Also, I would love a STRIPE build-a-figure although I don't think he needs to be one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:36 pm 
Collector Inspector

Well I was thinking the armor could be the BAF like the one that first appeared where he sat in it. Then in on of the packs the could be a figure of Pat Dugan that sits in it. he would have to have jointed knees though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:22 am 
Former King of Posts

BAF for JLU is a great idea. I think you should repeat that idea in the "questions for Mattel" thread stickied at the top of this forum.

Brimstone would be my 1st suggestion, followed by STRIPE version 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:25 am 
my tummy itches

Again, Mattel does not control distribution to the major retailers. I'm not sure if this is a confusion between case ratios and case distribution.
----------------
That's right it's confusion. I've never touched on the actual "delivery" of the figures. I'm only discussing how they are packed per case and provided (distributed from Mattel's factories) to the individual stores who've ordered them. If confusion exist and relates to semantics, then it's because (as I mentioned earlier) you're only "hearing" what you want to hear, and not what's actually being conveyed. I've always been focused on the case ratios only, and the use of the word "distribution" is applicable towards that aspect only. When was "actual" delivery (Store distribution) ever an issue, or discussed? Eyes front amigo.
----------------
It boils down to, say, Target ordering 2,000 cases of the Stargirl mix and 2,000 cases of the Volcana mix. Mattel has the factory manufacture that many of each case for Target which Target takes possession of in China and Target ships them to the Target warehouses in the states.
----------------
I understand this, and again, it was never an issue.
---------------
Once the product is in the states then Target ships it out to their regional distribution centers which then send them to the stores those DCs service. If the cases shipped to the DCs in the northwest are only the Stargirl mix and the cases shipped to the north east are only the Volcana mix then that screw up is on Target's end and Mattel has absolutely nothing to do with that and they have no way of correcting Target's mistake.
----------------
I understand this as well, and agree, but again, not an issue. As I've stated numerous times, the current case assortments that Mattel has made available is causing the problems (back to point), how Target, TRU and Wal-Mart ship these cases is not. (??) Also, these BIG stores want items that sell, but these same stores can also be their own worst enemies, the toy lines enemy (see Teen Titans), and could care less about Mattel staying in business.

This seems to be going nowhere, as it's a continual round-table of tinklebob for tat, varied perspectives, and distilled comprehension of the issue(s). So, I'll continue on believing what I do, and you all can believe what you will, and it can end there. And, more than likely, the most accurate truth(s) lie somewhere in the middle.

In any regard, I hope the JLU line makes it and thrives. I would hate to have to refer to this thread a year from now to support a "I told you.." topic. :wink:

gd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:24 am 
The Last Word

geoffdude wrote:
This dodge towards providing supportive facts is an old forum tactic, and it's a cop-out, just show some creditable references if you can.

I am loath to waste my time digging up old posts for you, because you're not interested in facts, anyway. You just want to pretend the world works the way you "believe" it does. What the hell, though?

You'll find it here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Five minutes with one search. See? No "cop-out" and no "dodge". When I want to know something, I generally look for the answers myself, rather than being lazy and expecting someone else to do it for me. As you can see, it's been repeated ad nauseam.

geoffdude wrote:
I understand that, but case ratios are ultimately determined by BW / Mattel. Point; and broken record.

You're still not getting it...

geoffdude wrote:
Then you need to understand the application, and definitions, of singular and plural better, because that statement needs to be reworked.

First of all, no, it doesn't. By "we", I meant that "we" could discuss "me", since "we" are having the discussion. It's honestly not that difficult.

Secondly, don't presume to be capable of giving me an English lesson when you use "of" as a verb. Part of my job is to correct spelling, grammar, and syntax just like yours. In fact, the very sentence in which you attempted to criticize my commentary deserves correcting.

Third, remember that part about you being at least a decade older than me? Try behaving like you're at least half my age. I could tear your post apart like a grade school teacher, but I'm trying to discuss the thread topic, if you don't mind too terribly much.

geoffdude wrote:
I'm not really arguing, just standing by what I believe. I'm saying that "MATTEL" decides what action to take on developing case ratios. That's all I've ever said. So far, nothing you have said has proven that contention wrong.

This isn't about "beliefs", but that's not what you've been doing, anyway. When I said case ratios are based on requests from retailers, you started babbling about how I was "100% wrong", only to repeat my very words later in the thread, as if you'd managed to produce an original thought. That's a 360° turn from your second "contribution" to this thread.

geoffdude wrote:
And, I never said retailers were shipped whatever Mattel wanted to. You enjoy speaking disingenuously, or still have that comprehension problem, either way try and keep the facts straight.

:lol:

See above for an example of "speaking disingenuously".

geoffdude wrote:
It's the context, not the words. This really seem to trip you up.

Mattel overloaded cases with Batman and Superman because that's what the retailers wanted. That's really all there is to it.

geoffdude wrote:
Yes they do control it, that's the "point". Even if it fails, they've determined what path(s) to lay or follow.

If you really "believe" manufacturers control the distribution of product at the retail level, then there's really no hope for you ever understanding how the process actually works.

geoffdude wrote:
Yes I have, but that's not related to who sets the case ratios that go out, which by the way is Mattel.

Based on requests from the retailers. :lol:

geoffdude wrote:
What does "sport" mean? Truly. I'm curious, but supply a real answer though, not your typical childish kind.

It is simply a term of address, and it provides no indication of age. If you look it up in a dictionary, you will find the following: n: a companionable person

geoffdude wrote:
It most certainly does, as I've always been of the mind that my beliefs are my own, and try as you might (and unless proven otherwise), I'll just continue on with that philosophy. And, I don't think I've ever said you "must" believe me. Contrary to how you're "trying" to convey your perspective(s).

You do realize, of course, that you essentially just paraphrased the old saying, ignorance is bliss.

geoffdude wrote:
It's called basic common sense, and perspective. And I've never read (or heard) that Mattel is "dictated" to on how to develop their business plan via case ratios aka product distribution, so until I hear that, I figure basic business sense must prevail.

Speaking of basic business sense, "product distribution" happens after the case ratios are determined. Distribution happens when all the retailers send out all the cases they bought from the manufacturer on their trucks. These trucks deliver them to stores from - pay attention here - distribution centers.

geoffdude wrote:
That's right it's confusion. I've never touched on the actual "delivery" of the figures. I'm only discussing how they are packed per case and provided (distributed from Mattel's factories) to the individual stores who've ordered them. If confusion exist and relates to semantics, then it's because (as I mentioned earlier) you're only "hearing" what you want to hear, and not what's actually being conveyed. I've always been focused on the case ratios only, and the use of the word "distribution" is applicable towards that aspect only. When was "actual" delivery (Store distribution) ever an issue, or discussed? Eyes front amigo.

That's what distribution means. You're demonstrating a complete and total lacking in even the most fundamental aspects of business knowledge, frustrated over your limited vocabulary, and taking that frustration out on Jim_Abell.

geoffdude wrote:
This seems to be going nowhere, as it's a continual round-table of tinklebob for tat, varied perspectives, and distilled comprehension of the issue(s).

Actually, everyone in the room seems to be comprehending perfectly well, with just the one exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:43 am 
shirtless hugger

Caped Crusader, thank you for yet another enlightening look into why this isn't Mattel's fault. Geoffdude, I'm just asking for my own sake here, but could you use the quote button so that I can read your posts without killing myself? I hate looking away for something and losing track of who's talking. Just a selfish request. :wink:

As for your arguement about case ratios: Yes Mattel determines them, but it is based on what retailers want. You claimed that Mattel could have packed fewer trinity packs than they did, but the retailers called for excess Superman and Batman over excess secondary characters. Mattel had to comply, or retailers could have chosen not to carry the line.

Look at the Lobo issue: Walmart says it will not carry the line if Lobo is included. That nixes Lobo. If they can raise hell over one character, imagine the power they have over the bigger components of the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:33 am 
Former King of Posts

Moderator hijacking thread.

Caped Crusader, Geoffdude. If you have nothing new to add, stop wasting bandwidth. You are both repeating yourselves. I think you've covered everything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The facts have been presented as best as possible. Its time to move on.

If no one has anything new to add, this thread should be allowed to die a quick death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:48 am 
The Last Word

superfriend wrote:
Caped Crusader, Geoffdude. If you have nothing new to add, stop wasting bandwidth. You are both repeating yourselves. I think you've covered everything.

Well, I actually was trying to add something new, such as links to where this stuff had been explained before.

If you want to lock the thread, it won't hurt my feelings. I have no emotional attachment to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next