Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel please look at Marvel Toy's LCBH....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:19 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I just like to share this with you…

Last August, action figure fans in the Philippines were very pleased that the entire wave 1 of Marvel Toy’s Legendary Comic Book Heroes was available in every retail toy store in most parts of the country, even to a province 2 hours away from Metro Manila where I reside – I was able to get the Conan two pack and the variant Dragon and Witchblade figures. And these figures were made by Marvel Toys, I think this company has nowhere near Mattel’s resources, the biggest toy makers in the world and still they can’t make their DC Super Heroes figures accessible to general fans… Marvel Toys has got Mattel beat!

Hasbro’s Marvel Legend lines are all over the place, and now so are Marvel Toy’s figures… where are Mattel’s??? If Mattel is only fixing this problem now (supposedly), then they are in a world of hurt regarding accessibility/availability of their figures…

Sorry for the rant but is the issue really on distribution issues? I would think that if Mattel have problems regarding distribution then on-line stores should still carry them right? They can easily get figures straight from the source and cater to the demands in the entire world... Because I know there is a genuine demand for these figures? But even on-line stores have run out of key figures like Azrael, Supergirl (Kara-Zor-El) and Steel, did Mattel produced these figures with soo little demand in mind? Did people started hoarding them?? Or Mattel just didn’t made enough figures to supply the necessary demand? Are they still catering to collectors with the mindset that by making just a few of these available, the collectors who can get their hands on them would be pleased with them that they have theses figures to sell at Ebay five-times it price in the future?? What is Mattel’s deal!??!?

I hope that Mattel can address these issues… and I am glad that a company like Marvel Toys is around to make great sculpted, highly-articulate, collector-friendly action figures that surpasses both Hasbro’s and Mattel’s work so far… now if only they were doing all legendary comic book heroes… but sadly they don’t…

By the end of the day… fans are the real losers as we can’t get the DC figures we want!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:48 pm 
MINT!

Up until their most recent announcement the DC license with Mattel was limited only to certain characters and they made the most of what they could do with the iconic brands featuring Superman and Batman in the 6 inch size and the JLU line.

Now, the entire DC UNIVERSE is open to Mattel, and with that, comes the proper planning. There's mention of branding the DC Universe line in such a way that it will take up an entire section at retail.

With that, and this is only speculation, is that with the new deal they needed to make changes mid-stream. Also, as a manufacturer, they don't necessarily have a direct sales model, only a channel model to outlets like Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R' Us and so forth. So, in reality, it's up to the retailer to order what they want from Mattel and sell through to the consumer.

Unfortunately, it's usually during shows like Toyfair in New York or in the UK when retailers can get a good glimpse at to what is coming up and available to order for the coming year. If the product(s) doesn't cater to a particular supply/demand model in that given retailers area, then they won't order. Or just the opposite.

Marvel Legends had been enjoying huge sucess everywhere, and to your point, in the Phillipines. This has been going on for years and the retail channel has been ordering more and more over the years since ToyBiz's first release of ML. So it's actually no real true suprise that Marvel Toys, formerly ToyBiz and Hasbro, who now carry the Marvel Legends line, have great retail presence in the Phillipines. It's natural.

I think Mattel, once they've gotten their LARGE arms around the DC license, will be able to produce the right character mix, right collectibles and find the right retail partners that within a few years you'll see great results.

My two cents...thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:18 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Have seen 2 series 1 and 1 series 2 lcbh figs. Nothing else

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 am 
Bob Vila

It's pretty unfair to compare a brand new toy line like LCBH with one that has released several figures like DCSH. It's not surprising that they are easy to find right now, because retailers are likely to take a chance on a new product, and there are no previous releases clogging up pegs. Sure, they're easy to find NOW, but what happens to them when they get to series 6, and there are still tons of The Darkness figures sitting in stores?

For example, Hasbro Marvel Legends was much more difficult to find then HML 1, at least in part because many stores were still loaded with Banshees and White Queens. Several retailers in my area still haven't received HML 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:09 am 
5" Scale

and ive never seen the 2 packs and Ive only seen LCBH seires 1 once or twice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:46 am 
shirtless hugger

While Mattel's distribution is spotty, I've yet to see any LCBH in Richmond, VA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:35 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

All the Wal-Mart's I've been to have had the entire wave at one time or another. Plus the variants, except for the Super-Patriot one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:23 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

OK, so it seems the figures are not that distributed in the USA. But here in the Philippines all of the figures (except Witchblade) was pretty much available in the first 2 weeks of its release last August.

This may well be the result of the successful distribution of the Toy Biz ML lines that have been continued for the LCBH figures.

But I still find it hard to believe that such a big toy company like Mattel is having problems with distribution and it has taken them soo long to fix this. They were great at giving us crappy repainted Batman figures but they fail to deliver on better figures. Or maybe its the result of poor sales of those figures that showed reluctance of retailers to order future Mattel figures. Whatever the case is, the retailers I have talked to said that they are having a great deal of difficulty ordering the Supergirl, Steel and other latter waves of DCSH figures.