Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:20 am 
Cold-cast

DK, sounds like you're just bitter at Mattel for your own impatience. You are SO angry about it you blame Mattel for things they’re not even responsible for.

DragonsKeep wrote:
JLU Solomon Grundy $50

Got mine for cost+shipping the week after SDCC from a friend, which was less than con admission and Grundy. Hell, I even went to WWC and bought a few more while I was there, one of which I gave away here, before your time. $20 for this figure was worth it.

DragonsKeep wrote:
Mattel TNBA Batgirl $50

Your totally neglecting that she came packaged with a Video Game. I still don’t agree with this move. The exclusive Babs shoulda been that silver piece of junk. Matter of fact, Mattel could’ve EASILY put the correct Babs in the Family Dollar cases. Unless this is a case of “Mattel being Mattel” and they signed something really stupid like a correctly colored Batgirl can only be released with UbiSoft products for 15 years or somesuch nonsense.

DragonsKeep wrote:
HASBROTalia $20

She also came with Ra’s in a suit

DragonsKeep wrote:
HASBROScarface $20

Agreed. But he also came with Killer Croc, who hadn’t seen a retail release for 5 years prior.

DragonsKeep wrote:
HASBROGordon $20

Agreed. But he also came with a BTAS Batgirl in normal colors, which was still hard to come by at the time

DragonsKeep wrote:
HASBROAlfred $20

Agreed, but he also came with a new sculpt Clayface

DragonsKeep wrote:
JL Darkseid $20

Umm, this sounds like YOUR fault for being impatient. Collecting JL prior to the JLU relaunch sucked. It was terrible. BUT, JL Darkseid was not especially hard to find when first released. He was NOWHERE near as difficult as say 1st release Hawkgirl or Ultra-Humanite. Not to mention the fact that Darksied was re-released 2.5 years later at the close-out stores.

DragonsKeep wrote:
Mattel TNBA Penguin $20 (before he was sold as a single)

I agree with you here. That 4 pack sucked. But I passed on it at both $20 and at $12. I got mine as a single.

DragonsKeep wrote:
DCSH Manbat $60

I agree here.

DragonsKeep wrote:
Mattel 2004 Con Exclusive Bruce Wayne taking off his mask halfway $45

Useless variant. There was basically no need for this piece to be made.

DragonsKeep wrote:
Mattel 2004 Con Exclusive Batman in blue and grey $45

I agree here as well. A desirable variant made con exclusive, while the pegs choked on yellow and green Batmen. Yet another of Mattel’s ‘great decisions’.

DragonsKeep wrote:
Mattel 2003 Batman Australian Bane $30
Mattel 2003 Batman Australian Scarecrow $30
Mattel 2003 Batman Australian Bruce Wayne $30
Mattel 2003 Batman Australian Batsignal Batman $30
Mattel 2003 Batman Australian Ultra Poseable Batman $30

Here is where your impatience hits hardest. These were only available from overseas due to Mattel’s incompetence. But, if you have been collecting DC stuff for even 10 years, you KNEW you should’ve waited for a domestic release on these. How many American made, foreign released DC toys have NOT hit domestically? I know the Ultra Poseable Bats and the Batsignal accessory still hasn’t. I learned my lesson the hard way with the STAS Euro releases.

DragonsKeep wrote:
"The Batman" Catwoman $50

This is one is ALL you own fault. We knew BEFORE the cons that a version of this Catwoman would be available outside the cons.

DragonsKeep wrote:
"The Batman" Poison Ivy $20

At $20 he came with another Batman and Mr. Freeze (I can’t recall if this had the variant smooth face or not). Plus patience would’ve helped you here as well, I saw this 3 pack MANY times on clearance for under $5.

DragonsKeep wrote:
"The Batman" Scarface $20

If you had been angry about Mr. Toots or whatever, you’d have a point. That was $40 SPECIFICALLY for a different hand puppet. Scarface? At $20 he came with another normal Batman and Clayface (who was still a bit hard to find at the time IIRC). Plus patience would’ve helped you here as well, I saw this 3 pack MANY times on clearance for under $5.

DragonsKeep wrote:
I am somewhat of a "completist." It's a sickness.

See THIS should be where to focus your anger. I’m no fan of Mattel. Mattel is full of ****-ups that make bad decisions. I have close to *ZERO* faith that next year’s relaunch will change any of the current problems. Mattel’s cries of ‘we’re still new to boys toys’ are sad, since it’s been over 5 years and NOTHING has changed. Mattel DID change for awhile with the first year if JLU, but has since regressed. HOWEVER, it’s not Mattel’s fault you ‘gotta catch em all”.

DragonsKeep wrote:
I sometimes dream about being at the store and finding awesome stuff...and usually having no wallet in my pocket, or no funds in my bank account. (And yes, that's why I have Darkseid and Orion, plus an Orion with his f@#$$ing harness, despite the fact that I think the New Gods kinda stink).

I have dreams where I find figures that aren’t ever gonna be released on store shelves (things like JLU Katana, Halo, Space Cabbie, Rip Hunter, etc).

DragonsKeep wrote:
My thanks to Howard the Duck for the advice to sell off all these many extras that have been accumulating in my storage closet. It looks like they're multiplying like rabbits in there! But I did notice on eBay that the loose figues do sell like hotcakes. I will keep that in mind, and someday figure out how to sell stuff on that, rather than just spend tons of money. It is fun though, always having packages come in the mail.

Meh, I give my multiples away. I have cousins who get unique dupes (Vigilante, Rocket Red, etc). The First 7 dupes I give out at Halloween. Kids LOVE getting figures then.

DragonsKeep wrote:
Sometimes I can't believe what some of you guys will write as a response when you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread.

Well, you probably won’t consider this as constructive either…

DragonsKeep wrote:
And although this is a website about toys and cartoon characters, I strongly suspect that everyone here is a full-fledged grown-up. Act your age.

Dude, it’s the internet :roll:

and

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-34640480252896_1963_117522

DragonsKeep wrote:
BOTTOM LINE, BACK ON TOPIC: THERE'S NO REASON THAT GRODD CANNOT BE MADE AVAILABLE AS A SINGLE PACKAGED FIGURE. IF MATTEL IS SUPPOSEDLY CATERING TO US, THEN THEY SHOULD MAKE IT AN INTERNET EXCLUSIVE.

Here you are asking for *2* different things. If he was gonna be a single pack, it would SUCK. He wouldn’t fit on a normal card. As such, he would be packed 1x per case of 12. This would make Grodd LESS available than as a Target exclusive.

And about the ‘internet exclusive’? Mattel is too dumb to get that going. And if they *could* figure out a way to set up an e-commerce site, Grodd would still probably cost close to $20 with shipping.

DragonsKeep wrote:
THAT'S WHAT KENNER USED TO DO WITH STAR WARS. HASBRO HAS A RETAIL WEBSITE.

I don’t know how long or even if you’ve been collecting Star Wars, but SW exclusives have pretty much ALWAYS been a pain to get. Things like Wal-Mart Band Packs, Fruit Loop Han Troopers, Kmart Cantina packs, and ‘Separation of the Twins’ still sting. Hasbro has a LONG way to go to repair that, but they ARE trying. Hasbro ACTS while Mattel TALKS.

Finally, I noticed a few things missing from your ‘hit list’. Why didn’t you complain about JLU Doomsday, Con Exclusive unmasked Bats, or STAS Lois Lane, Supergirl, Metallo, Bizzarro? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:24 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Okay...I still stick with my first statement of "dont buy it if you dont like it" but I want to expand on that...It came across as rude and that was not my intention.

Maybe you can wait to pick one off of ebay or here in the Swap Meet section...Thats how I got Gordan, Alfred and Lois Lane. I usually buy two or three anyway. Got Batgirl as a single and just slapped some paint on her.

I fail to see how this six pack represents Mattel "boinking" us. We get what
Quote:
we want
and mommies get what they want for little timmy who just wants the top three heroes and the "kewl big monkey."

Mattel & Target are businesses and they need to sell this pack to the kiddos in order to make a profit ...it's not just for us! You cannot tell me that we the collectors are keeping this line alive by ourselves. With that said...lets also not forget...this toyline as no media support at all...so I am MORE than thankful it continues.

When everyone freaked because of the trinity 3 pack flood...I found it funny as all of my kids wanted that 3 pack. (well 4 of them)
They all sold out in my local Targets and I doubt collectors were the ones adding them to their collection. They had to sell so we could get the other figures we wanted!
In order for new figures to be produced and for us to get the characters we want...We will need to learn to take the bad with the good. Stargirl/Volcana/Pararsite/Blue Devil...they never showed up around here that I know of...if they did...they went to a good home REALLY fast.

Do I like paying $20 for Grodd? No not really...but I want him so I will take the hit and by the whole six pack so there will be another next year! I also already have Darkseid and Orion... but there has to be someone out there who does not. Try to pass them on to re-coupe some of your money.

I dont think anyone intended to attack you personally...it's just when you come out with guns blazing as you did...some of us get a bit defensive. I for one am very excited at what is comming in 2008. when I met Toyguru in Chicago...he stated that collecters would all be VERY happy with what is comming.

C'mon Toy Fair '08!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:41 am 
requestor of thick tufts of chest hair

Hey, wait a minute! Cut me some slack here!

You guys keep using the word 'impatient.' I'm not any more impatient than any of you I am sure. I mean whoever is signing in to this forum has got to be as obsessed with superhero action figures as I am, no?

I, like you, am merely on the quest for the next available new figure. And with such limited release and availability of new product, why in the world would I assume that I can pass up something rare, hard to find and new, and wait to get anything I want three months later...or several years later as history has proved, on the clearance rack or at some third rate odd lot discount chain that I would ordinarily never set foot in for fear that I have forgotten far too much High School Spanish to possibly conduct business there? There is absolutely no guarntee of that hard to find figures are going to miraculously turn up in some unexpected place somewhere down the road, and you guys know it! None of us could have foreseen that Big Lots (of all places!) would start to stock their shelves with something as obscure and hard-to-find-at-the-time as the JLU Darkseid figure. And what the hell are any of you doing trolling around Big Lots anyway? If you're looking for trash, Wal-Mart has plenty.

So, please! Give me a break!

I may be opinionated. I may be outspoken. I may use some colorful language from time to time, but I am not stupid! And I am not out of the loop! And I don't like being ripped off!

Do you mean to tell me that you ALL don't immediately crumpledung up at least one (or two...let's be honest you MOC guys!) of every new figure that you can get your hands on AS SOON AS you see it? C'mon now! I've bumped elbows with some of you guys (or guys just like you) in the aisles at Target. It used to be aisle 7C at Toys "R" Us back in the day. I have seen some hyper-compulsive behavior out there! I'm just a mild-mannered Bank Manager with a somewhat secret obsession with the DC Universe, but I don't get that crazy as I zoom from one Big Box Retail Outlet to the next.

And I personally had no idea that the Bane and Scarecrow would become available in the US. And neither did any of you at that point in time. This is not the only action figure website I visit several times a day...and I have been doing this all my adult life...20 years at least. I may be new to this forum, but I have been up on current-action-figure-events for quite sometime, my friends. At the time I purchased those figures from an Aussie on eBay, it looked as though the Mattel Batman line was on its last legs. Am I right? Yes I am. I was pretty much certain of it. None of us knew that the line would be getting a resurge the following year until the SDCC in July 2005!

I did make one error in my last post though. I paid what I consider $20 for one figure when I bought the Doomsday 6-pack. I wrote Darkseid when I meant to write Doomsday. I must have had the New Gods on my brain...even though I think they suck. And, yes to guy who mentioned it, I did also shell out a lot of extra bucks to own Lois Lane and Metallo. The SDCC Exclusive Bruce Wayne that you asked about is the "taking his mask off half-way" figure that I did indeed purchase for about $50 or $60 (including shipping).

I think Comic Con exclusives really suck for hard-core collectors like me. I have no alternative but to purchase these items on the secondary market. I would never in a million years pay for travel and lodging from NY to CA or IL just to attend a comicbook convention and pick up an exclusive figure. That's not my idea of a vacation, or of a senseable way to spend money. And besides, that's what e-commerce is for. I realize that these exclusives "retail" at about $20 at the Con. But even that's too high for a piece of plastic...for a child's toy, for crying out loud! The fact remains that I (and many others) pay about $50 (or $60 with shipping) per figure in order complete my collection. That's way too much money...and certainly not what I bargained for when I got into the game. And for those of you who tried to diminish my concern with your snappy responses to all those dollar amounts, I applaud you willingness and ability to dispense with so much cash. If you'd like to take this off line, I would be happy to set you up with a decent CD or a retirement plan, since it seems that you have too much extra money lying around. I also believe that the nature of an internet forum is such that I should be able to complain about certain facts and conditions that seem to be a part of this hobby without a bunch of you jumping down my throat!

Look, guys, we loyal action figure collectors have made a substantial financial committment to Mattel, Hasbro, DC Direct, Toy Biz, McFarland, etc. Are we really being treated fairly with this exclusive and multi-pack nonsense? Do you really want to continue buying the same Batman and Superman figures over and over again? That's the point I am making...as well as the point that I do not particularly enjoy sparring with any of you over my use of the vernacular, so can we please stay on topic and stop insulting each other?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:31 am 
Cold-cast

DragonsKeep wrote:
You guys keep using the word 'impatient.' I'm not any more impatient than any of you I am sure. I mean whoever is signing in to this forum has got to be as obsessed with superhero action figures as I am, no?

Impatient =/= obsessed. There IS a difference.

I am also impatient. Heck, I just spent $40 for a JLU Blue Devil that has a terrible paint job and a vest that was split IN THE PACKAGE(it ended up costing me $15 after selling off the extras though). I know all about impatience. I also know about restraint. I could have very easily spent $30+ for the JLU Stargirl 3 pack, but WITH PATIENCE I got it for $10. The most I ever spent on a JLU 3 pack(INCLUDING the recent con exclusive) was $15 for the orange carded Etrigan pack from kbtoys.com.

DragonsKeep wrote:
ignorant diatribe

Wow, in *one* fell swoop, you have not only insulted everyone who works at Big Lots, which includes Boy Wonder’s father, but anyone of us who has shopped at Big Lots.

I don’t know about anyone else here, but I go to Big Lots for 2 reasons: when others find toys there, and when I need computer/av cables. There is also the whole ‘never know what you’ll find’ aspect of the place.

DragonsKeep wrote:
I may be opinionated. I may be outspoken. I may use some colorful language from time to time, but I am not stupid! And I am not out of the loop! And I don't like being ripped off!

You *still* don’t get it. I’m sure you’re a sane, rational person in most aspects of your life. But to keep this persecution complex aimed at Mattel shows that goes out the window with this hobby. YOU are OVERPAYING for these things. Is Mattel holding a gun to your or your loved ones’ heads when you overpay for these things?

DragonsKeep wrote:
Do you mean to tell me that you ALL don't immediately crumpledung up at least one (or two...let's be honest you MOC guys!) of every new figure that you can get your hands on AS SOON AS you see it?

Nope, ALL of us don’t so that. I certainly don’t. I’ve passed up at least a dozen of the new Joker 3 packs since the eyes are sloppy. I’ve also passed up singles that I’ve already got in 3 packs suck as Shining Knight, as $5 is too much for a sword.

DragonsKeep wrote:
And I personally had no idea that the Bane and Scarecrow would become available in the US. And neither did any of you at that point in time. At the time I purchased those figures from an Aussie on eBay, it looked as though the Mattel Batman line was on its last legs. Am I right? Yes I am. I was pretty much certain of it. None of us knew that the line would be getting a resurge the following year until the SDCC in July 2005!

You’re absolutely right about this. The closest ‘news’ we got about it coming here was rumors of them coming through Previews. But I didn’t obsess over them. Here is where your completism hurt you.

DragonsKeep wrote:
I did make one error in my last post though. I paid what I consider $20 for one figure when I bought the Doomsday 6-pack. The SDCC Exclusive Bruce Wayne that you asked about is the "taking his mask off half-way" figure that I did indeed purchase for about $50 or $60 (including shipping).

What about the clear Amazo in that pack? It was a new figure, a variant yes, but still new. Also, why did you even want that exclusive? The regular masked and unmasked versions I can understand, but why the ‘halfway’?

DragonsKeep wrote:
I think Comic Con exclusives really suck for hard-core collectors like me. I have no alternative but to purchase these items on the secondary market. I would never in a million years pay for travel and lodging from NY to CA or IL just to attend a comicbook convention and pick up an exclusive figure. That's not my idea of a vacation, or of a senseable way to spend money. And besides, that's what e-commerce is for. I realize that these exclusives "retail" at about $20 at the Con. But even that's too high for a piece of plastic...for a child's toy, for crying out loud! The fact remains that I (and many others) pay about $50 (or $60 with shipping) per figure in order complete my collection. That's way too much money...and certainly not what I bargained for when I got into the game. And for those of you who tried to diminish my concern with your snappy responses to all those dollar amounts, I applaud you willingness and ability to dispense with so much cash.

Umm, YOU'RE the one who 'dispenses with so much cash'.

DragonsKeep wrote:
If you'd like to take this off line, I would be happy to set you up with a decent CD or a retirement plan, since it seems that you have too much extra money lying around.

Umm, why would I go to someone who overspends on ‘child’s toys’ for financial advice? :wink:

DragonsKeep wrote:
I also believe that the nature of an internet forum is such that I should be able to complain about certain facts and conditions that seem to be a part of this hobby without a bunch of you jumping down my throat!

You really have NO idea of how it works in the tubes, do you?

DragonsKeep wrote:
Look, guys, we loyal action figure collectors have made a substantial financial committment to Mattel, Hasbro, DC Direct, Toy Biz, McFarland, etc. Are we really being treated fairly with this exclusive and multi-pack nonsense? Do you really want to continue buying the same Batman and Superman figures over and over again?

If you don’t want to spend the money, find a new hobby. Alcoholism works for me.

DragonsKeep wrote:
That's the point I am making...as well as the point that I do not particularly enjoy sparring with any of you over my use of the vernacular, so can we please stay on topic and stop insulting each other?

Umm, no. You just attacked people who both work at and shop at Big Lots. Why should we NOT attack you? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:06 pm 
Former King of Posts

DragonsKeep wrote:
And by the way, Superfriend, I believe the word you're looking for is spelled and pronounced "etiquette" not "edicate," and it pertains to official and professional conduct, which I don't really consider any of this. But please don't ever tell me how to express myself.

I can only imagine the kinds of responses this post is going to elicit!!!

etiquette. I knew I was wrong on that.

I'm a moderator here at AFI. Keeping it clean for the younger folks. Part of the MOD job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:47 pm 
serves the Otter

When I'm trying to decide to collect a line or not, there's a question of how much enjoyment I get from collecting the line that's weighed against how much I have to pay for it. I teach junior high, and I've got two small boys, and I'm four semesters into my Masters Degree...I'm not rolling around in money.

And the JLU line has not been an expensive one to keep up with. If it had been, I would have had to drop it a while ago. I love the line of toys, and in fact, their cheapness (both in terms of quality and price) has a lot of appeal for me.

That said, I've enjoyed this debate/exchange. I'm excited at all the big words everyone's using.

If the cost of this line of toys is causing you undue stress, drop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:50 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

manthing wrote:
DragonsKeep wrote:
That's the point I am making...as well as the point that I do not particularly enjoy sparring with any of you over my use of the vernacular, so can we please stay on topic and stop insulting each other?

Umm, no. You just attacked people who both work at and shop at Big Lots. Why should we NOT attack you? :roll:

Well, he also took a shot at people who work for Wal-Mart as well as the people who shop there. And I got an implied vibe against those of us who've found our DC fixes at Family Dollar and Dollar General...

I really surprised that he hasn't taken a personal swipe at DC Superfan for spending as much as he has making sure that he's got the final wave of DCSH.

As for his responses about his choice of language (albiet, censored) in his first post, I for one am offended by his implications that religion would be the only reason one would find it offensive. I'm an atheist and I found it offensive as I thought it sounded like a childish tantrum. Mind you, I'm actually listening to George Carlin's Incomplete List of Impolite words as I write this so I *do* understand the use of language for humorous effect which is not what Dragonskeep was doing at all.

Dragonskeep, if you have indeed been collecting toys for as long as you say, I don't understand how you haven't come to grips with the inconsistancies in the hobby yet, from case packs to distribution to convention and retail exclusives. If you're going to be in this game as a completist, you should well know by now that there are things that are going to be a pain in the butt to get and things that are going to be expensive. Be glad you don't collect GI Joe or Transformers considering how much *THOSE* convention exclusives cost at the JoeCon and BotCon. Until the last few months this had been a really nice place to hang out and discuss -- rationally -- our little hobby, but now it seems like people just want to rant and be comforted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:59 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

If someone has some kind of OCD that makes them but everything, sure this hobby can get really expensive.

JLU is the only modern toyline I buy so picking up extra figures I already have here and there to get a new figure does not bother me at all.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:07 pm 
serves the Otter

DragonsKeep wrote:

Do you mean to tell me that you ALL don't immediately crumpledung up at least one (or two...let's be honest you MOC guys!) of every new figure that you can get your hands on AS SOON AS you see it?
I don't. I saw a Stargirl three pack that I already owned at Target and I left it there for a lucky collector who didn't have one yet. I'm not a jerk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:07 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Yay another one , I love these guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:15 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Hobbies should be a fun escape, not a cause of gutache.

manthing wrote
Quote:
Got mine for cost+shipping the week after SDCC from a friend, which was less than con admission and Grundy. Hell, I even went to WWC and bought a few more while I was there, one of which I gave away here, before your time. $20 for this figure was worth it.

Got any left?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:30 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Wow Dragonskeep...17 posts and you've already hacked off several people.

My grandmother has a part time job at Walmart selling "trash" and I really take offense to the "high school spanish" comment. Being from Texas...I know several hispanic folks who speak english just fine.

You ask us to give you a break? Then stop being offensive.

I go back to what I said before...Dont like the heat...get out of the kitchen!

If you dont make enough money with all of your "successful ventures"
maybe you should stop collecting figures and take up something less stressful....

like knitting.

Have a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:47 pm 
Former King of Posts

MOD

The other job of the moderators here is to cool the flames when folks attack each other. That's not what AFI is here for. Its for discussing action figure related stuff.

I was hoping by moving this to its own thread that the attacks would stop. I was wrong.

Consider this thread locked and this discussion over.