Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Taking a Break
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:13 am 
An Insider

I think I'm going to be taking a break from JLU and DCSH for a while. At least until I see Grodd show up at retail, maybe even more after that. With the Fire and Ice 3pk yet to make any kind of appearance and the inclusion of only one new figure in the next wave of 3pks, I'm just really spent when it comes to looking for these figures, and it's really not enough to hold my interest for the time being.

I'm probably going to order the next Batman wave from BBTS and just hope that I eventually see the 6" Cyborg Superman and Cassandra Cain Batgirl at retail someday, perhaps as part of a new wave. If I happen upon Fire, Ice, Hawkman, Mr. Miracle, Blue Devil, and Grodd, all the better, but I'm done actively making an effort to find these guys. I know they'll be out there eventually and could possibly be the next set of peg-warmers.

I've actually been thinking about turning my interest to another, easier to find line like BEN10. I've never really even seen the show, but I just think the line seems cool and quite abundant. No HTF figures from what I can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:02 am 
Former King of Posts

Not sure what you call actively looking, but I only go once a week to Target and even less to TRU. I just know the stuff is not there, so why bother going more often.

As for Ben 10, it runs regularly on CN, Sat morning 10 am. the first season is out on DVD. The show and style are very JL. They make great aliens to populate the JLU universe with. Some of the early pieces are hard to find, like GhostFreak, as they stopped shipping quite a while ago.

May I recommend:
www.Ben10Toys.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:54 pm 
ABS

I agree. All I want from the Batman wave are Mr. Freeze and Clayface. Neither of them are fairly-priced. So I'm a little steamed to say the least. I may go back to collecting DCD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:46 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I check two or three Targets every day(no exaggeration), plus one Wal-Mart, and I don't see much of anything JLU or DCSH. At least, not nearly as much as I should.

They're just not out there in decent enough numbers to be had, and that's the truth.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject: Re: Taking a Break
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:52 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

zaxilla2 wrote:
I think I'm going to be taking a break from JLU

Is there any other option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:08 pm 
Prototype

I still need the Hawkman, Obisdian and Deadshot packs so I can't take a break from JLU yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:20 pm 
proverbial old fart

Guys,

If there are BigLots! near you I suggest you check them out. I found the Hawkman 3-pack AND the Cyborg Superman at a BigLots! in Owasso, Ok.

The two Targets, on the otherhand, have not had anything for ages.

I understand your disappointment. But, just when you least expect it you find that treasure you were looking for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:34 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Why are these figures soooo hard to come by?!?! Is it really distribution problems or is Mattel really aiming to make such low quantities of these figures so "collectors" can sell them for steep prices on Ebay?

And can anyone pls explain whats their version of being collector-friendly? Personally, I think they do want their figures to be soo rare that those that are lucky enough to get them can see their figures appreciate in price for being rare figures in the market!

Does the huge demand and poor supply makes MATTEL happy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:11 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

No of course not, Mattel makes NO money from whatever a person sells it for on eBay. The only money Mattel makes is from when the stores buy the product.

Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:27 am 
shirtless hugger

Right but it creates demand, that "I gotta have it" attitude and a "buy it now" impulse. So i wonder if Mattel is short packing on purpose so that the JLU collectors will impulse buy everything they see becasue they are afraid they will never see it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:42 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

bat313 wrote:
Right but it creates demand, that "I gotta have it" attitude and a "buy it now" impulse. So i wonder if Mattel is short packing on purpose so that the JLU collectors will impulse buy everything they see becasue they are afraid they will never see it again.

sure- worked gangbusters for the '02 MOTU line, so why not do that here too, right? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:24 pm 
my tummy itches

For us the collectors, the "gotta have it / buy it now" mentality is already present. The "might never see it again" fear is a relatively new concern due to increasingly limited distribution. The pack out / assortment hurts everyone and Mattel is most certainly aware of it. They know everyone, collectors and moms/kins alike will be more interested in and more likely to buy the one "new" original figure in the lot. Simple reasoning. What makes no sense is why Mattel is content and continues to feed that? If you know it will sell, why not make sell it? Isnt making a profit the point? I understand they want a certain amount of "demand" and ineterest, but in the end $$ is all they want and all that matters. Seems counter productive to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:21 pm 
An Insider

superfriend wrote:
Not sure what you call actively looking, but I only go once a week to Target and even less to TRU. I just know the stuff is not there, so why bother going more often.

As for Ben 10, it runs regularly on CN, Sat morning 10 am. the first season is out on DVD. The show and style are very JL. They make great aliens to populate the JLU universe with. Some of the early pieces are hard to find, like GhostFreak, as they stopped shipping quite a while ago.

May I recommend:
www.Ben10Toys.net

I go to a target store about every day with one day every week reserved for hitting 4-5 stores. I'm insane.

I think I'm going to get the ben 10 dvd to get caught up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:57 am 
Prototype

I haven't watched an episode of Ben 10 but it sounds like a great show. I'll try to watch it next time it comes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:13 am 
An Insider

I recently bought the ben 10 first season and I really did like it. There is also a live action movie of Ben 10 coming out November 21. Heres the trailer.
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iPJ4cUnQqqc[/youtube]