Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel items at Boston National Toy Event
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 am 
Hi all,
The Boston Area Toy Collectors Club will be having our 7th Annual National Toy Event next Friday, September 21st in Randolph, Ma.

Mattel is sending us a lot of items. I got to help put the request list together so I made it JLU heavy. Also some Superfriends, Batman and Cars items. Please check our website www.BostonToyClub.com for more info. I should have put the info up earlier, but was hoping to have "Special" news to go along with it. We'll have to wait and see.

Don't wait cause time is short. We will have Dinner and each guest gets a goody bag that will make the trip worthwhile. Check out the website and see pics from last year. We also have stuff from Diamond select, Dark Horse, Norev Diecast, AUTOArt, Matchbox, Johnny Lightning, Tonner Dolls, Inkworks and Sideshow Collectibles

This is an event by collectors for collectors so the cost is low. If you are within driving distance, come, and stay at the Holiday Inn. They're giving us a great rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:25 am 
Killer Mothman

I looked over the website and while it looks like a fun and fancy event, I don't quite "get" what it's all about.

Is it a fancy meet-n-greet for collectors, a charity auction event, or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:08 pm 
It started out as a night that Corgi showed off their upcoming items. three years ago we expanded it to a variety of manufacturers. When people arrive they get a goody bag of items. Then they get to view upcoming and new toys from manufacturers. Last year we had the prototypes for the new Speed Racer line from Art Asylum. Then we have dinner and entertainment. last year we had a couple of raffle levels for items and a raffle for 2 airline tickets to anywhere in Europe.
This year we are having a silent auction and a couple of raffle levels. everyone who comes gets a goody bag and a chance at something else. You can get raffle tickets for more expesive items. We are also going to do silent auctions for the first time with some prototypes and a few expensive items. Maybe Tonner Aquaman and some others. All money raised goes to help defray the cost of the evening and for the club. Also we have a couple of vendors that are selling items. Its a fun night. With speakers too. The editor of Toy Shop and also Writer Marl Belomo will be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:24 am 
The Last Word

Just to touch on what Scott Rogers said again, why does it look like Joan Rivers would be greeting people before they enter the building? I don't understand the formal look of the event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:35 am 
The master of ceremonies and I are in really dressed up. We want to distiguish ourselves from a convention or a toy show. We have a nice dinner at a really nice location and ask that people not show up in jeans and a t shirt. Its a night out that a collector can bring there spouse along to and have a good time. This year we will have the French Consular General there to speak about the toys he collected. Its just to make the evening more special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:22 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

actually sounds pretty cool. Let us know how it goes!

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:49 am 
proverbial old fart

BostonToyGuy wrote:
The master of ceremonies and I are in really dressed up. We want to distiguish ourselves from a convention or a toy show. We have a nice dinner at a really nice location and ask that people not show up in jeans and a t shirt. Its a night out that a collector can bring there spouse along to and have a good time. This year we will have the French Consular General there to speak about the toys he collected. Its just to make the evening more special.

Very impressive. Very.

I like the concept of the annual formal dinner for the members. There are so many of us that are not what the masses consider as toy collectors. We're married, parents, or grandparents and have "real" jobs and lives. Toys are our hobby. One we're passionate about.

I'd love to try and form such a club in the Tulsa area. I'm sure there are lots of collectors out there that don't really get a chance to talk face to face. Get tips on upcoming merchandise and find kindered spirits. I love SDCC, but we're more than that.

Congratulations to you on your success and the great realtionships you've established with the manufacturers! One question, how is your interaction with the retailers such as TRU, Target, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:18 am 
An Insider

If you need help forming something Glenn I would be glad to participate! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:56 am 
Collector Inspector

Quote:
I'd love to try and form such a club in the Tulsa area. I'm sure there are lots of collectors out there that don't really get a chance to talk face to face. Get tips on upcoming merchandise and find kindered spirits. I love SDCC, but we're more than that.

This would be kinda cool but why not do something between Oaklahoma and Texas. Maybe somewhere in Denton or Dallas.