Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vigilante JLU on yellow card
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:44 pm 
Wonderdog

Guys, just to let you know... I walked into a Family Dollar and to my surprise... Loads of JLU Vigilante on the yellow card single pack. I already had gotten mine awhile back but you all may want to keep a watchful eye out if you need one. don't know why they got them but they did.

Webslinger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:23 pm 
An Insider

Did they have any other JLU or DCSH?

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:25 pm 
Dog Squeezer

I am heading there tomorrow!! Thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:28 pm 
my tummy itches

Where in the country was that Family Dollar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:33 pm 
Prototype

Yeah, I figured he'd show up there soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:15 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

We were told by Boy Wonder or Toy Guru (via Daniel) to expect Vigilante at the Family Dollar months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:20 pm 
Resin

Thanks for the heads up. I'd also like to know what part of the country you found him in. Was it only Vig or others from the same asst. such as Orion and Elongated Man. What was the price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:42 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Hal Roth wrote:
Where in the country was that Family Dollar?

I have about 10 minutes away from my work here in central NJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:11 am 
Fugitive Dust

Crap, there are two Dollar General stores within 5 miles in either direction of me, but no Family Dollar stores nearby. I wonder if the Dollar General chain will get them too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:30 am 
Bob Vila

Dammit, I have one within walking distance of my office, but I really hate that place (the last time I was there, they were selling eight cans of spray paint to two teenagers in front of me). At least there's a Popeye's chicken next door... Best. Fried Chicken. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 am 
The Last Word

hellpop wrote:
Dammit, I have one within walking distance of my office, but I really hate that place (the last time I was there, they were selling eight cans of spray paint to two teenagers in front of me).

Yeah, I despise stores that let people buy what they want, too.

:?

Anyway, I'm stopping by Family Dollar this afternoon, anyway, to look for some $2 Tele-Viper army builders. I'll look around for new (old) JLU product while I'm there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:33 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Caped Crusader, I don't know where Hellpop lives, but around here, you have to show ID to buy spraypaint, to prove you're over 18. It doesn't affect me, since I don't even get carded for liquor any more, but occasionally a check-out person makes a joke about it. I suspect he's commenting on the failure to verify ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:34 am 
Bob Vila

Caped Crusader wrote:
hellpop wrote:
Dammit, I have one within walking distance of my office, but I really hate that place (the last time I was there, they were selling eight cans of spray paint to two teenagers in front of me).

Yeah, I despise stores that let people buy what they want, too.

:?

Teenagers use spray paint to write graffiti. Several cities in the US (including my hometown of Philadelphia) have banned the sale of spray paint to minors because of this. Admittedly, I don't know if my current place of residence (New Haven, CT) has such a law on the books, but I assure you that these kids weren't buying those cans to work on their soap box derby racer. I suppose you'd also think it okay to sell them dozens of boxes of cold medicine so that they can turn it into meth. Or liqueur. Or guns. Hey, it's what they want to buy, right?

BTW, I did go to Family Dollar; no Vigs, but I picked up a BTAS Catwoman, so the trip wasn't a total waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:02 am 
The Last Word

No JLU or even Batman figures at Family Dollar, but I did grab some more Tele-Vipers.

hellpop wrote:
Teenagers use spray paint to write graffiti.

Graffiti? Oh, the horror! :shock:

hellpop wrote:
Several cities in the US (including my hometown of Philadelphia) have banned the sale of spray paint to minors because of this. Admittedly, I don't know if my current place of residence (New Haven, CT) has such a law on the books, but I assure you that these kids weren't buying those cans to work on their soap box derby racer.

Several U.S. cities also have areas where artists - because that's what these kids are - can display their talents legally. This has proven to be a more effective deterrent, if only because it means artists can take their time with a piece. Atlanta even allows it under certain bridges. Legal graffiti isn't at all uncommon. In fact, I know many artists who supplement their income by creating murals on the exterior and interior walls of businesses whose owners wish to decorate in this way.

I can't even begin to comprehend how someone who frequents an internet message board to discuss collectibles based on the visions of comic book artists would use that forum to take such an indignant stance toward artistic expression. But hey, it's not like the world needs another Jean-Michel Basquiat, right?

hellpop wrote:
I suppose you'd also think it okay to sell them dozens of boxes of cold medicine so that they can turn it into meth. Or liqueur. Or guns. Hey, it's what they want to buy, right?

That is quite possibly the most asinine comparison I've ever seen. I mean, is it really necessary to point out that methamphetamine use, alcohol consumption, and firearm possession involve inherently more potential for harm than painting a wall? Imagine the irony of this following your fried chicken comment. After all, fatty foods are responsible for more deaths and health problems than all of the above combined. :lol:

Whom does this harm? This? The rest of it? This? This? This? This? This? This? This? This? Personally, I think the landscape is improved by the presence of graffiti in each of those photos, but then again, I happen to like art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:08 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Caped Crusader wrote:
No JLU or even Batman figures at Family Dollar, but I did grab some more Tele-Vipers.

hellpop wrote:
Teenagers use spray paint to write graffiti.

Graffiti? Oh, the horror! :shock:

hellpop wrote:
Several cities in the US (including my hometown of Philadelphia) have banned the sale of spray paint to minors because of this. Admittedly, I don't know if my current place of residence (New Haven, CT) has such a law on the books, but I assure you that these kids weren't buying those cans to work on their soap box derby racer.

Several U.S. cities also have areas where artists - because that's what these kids are - can display their talents legally. This has proven to be a more effective deterrent, if only because it means artists can take their time with a piece. Atlanta even allows it under certain bridges. Legal graffiti isn't at all uncommon. In fact, I know many artists who supplement their income by creating murals on the exterior and interior walls of businesses whose owners wish to decorate in this way.

I can't even begin to comprehend how someone who frequents an internet message board to discuss collectibles based on the visions of comic book artists would use that forum to take such an indignant stance toward artistic expression. But hey, it's not like the world needs another Jean-Michel Basquiat, right?

hellpop wrote:
I suppose you'd also think it okay to sell them dozens of boxes of cold medicine so that they can turn it into meth. Or liqueur. Or guns. Hey, it's what they want to buy, right?

That is quite possibly the most asinine comparison I've ever seen. I mean, is it really necessary to point out that methamphetamine use, alcohol consumption, and firearm possession involve inherently more potential for harm than painting a wall? Imagine the irony of this following your fried chicken comment. After all, fatty foods are responsible for more deaths and health problems than all of the above combined. :lol:

Whom does this harm? This? The rest of it? This? This? This? This? This? This? This? This? Personally, I think the landscape is improved by the presence of graffiti in each of those photos, but then again, I happen to like art.
It's funny but when I heard hellpop's story about teenagers buying eight spray-cans of paint I laughed. I didn't even CONSIDER that it would be used for graffiti. I thought they were buying them to get REALLY buzzed by huffing it.

I have a REALLY dim view of teenagers. :P

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.