Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:05 am 
Prototype

I love the design of the TNBA Batplane. I've wanted one of those for years. I really hope Mattel will invest in making a lot of cool vehicles and playsets for the DCAU line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:15 pm 
Maybe it's just me, but I HATE the look of the JL/TNBA Batplane. It just looks off for a Batwing, and looks more like the Batskiboat used in BATMAN RETURNS. To me, the original BTAS version is the definitive version, since it took the great Tim Burton design and made it larger, sleeker and cleaner looking. If I could only choose between my BTAS Batplane and a new TNBA/JLU version, there would be no contest. BTAS Batplane all the way!

It's kind of odd. I prefer the BTAS Batplane because of how closely it resembles the 1989 version, yet I don't care much for the TNBA Batmobile, even though it was redesigned to match the Burton Batmobile (my favorite design) more closely than the original BTAS version did. The TNBA Batmobile and Batplane aren't bad, They just don't have that cool, vintage, 1930's vibe the original TAS models did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:24 pm 
Bob Vila

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I HATE the look of the JL/TNBA Batplane. It just looks off for a Batwing, and looks more like the Batskiboat used in BATMAN RETURNS. To me, the original BTAS version is the definitive version, since it took the great Tim Burton design and made it larger, sleeker and cleaner looking. If I could only choose between my BTAS Batplane and a new TNBA/JLU version, there would be no contest. BTAS Batplane all the way!

It's kind of odd. I prefer the BTAS Batplane because of how closely it resembles the 1989 version, yet I don't care much for the TNBA Batmobile, even though it was redesigned to match the Burton Batmobile (my favorite design) more closely than the original BTAS version did. The TNBA Batmobile and Batplane aren't bad, They just don't have that cool, vintage, 1930's vibe the original TAS models did.

I can see where you're coming from, though I personally prefer the evolution of the later designs of the Bat vehicles throughout the course of the Timm-verse shows. Don't get me wrong, the BTAS Batwing and Batmobile designs rocked, and the toys are outstanding, but I like the sleek edge the later versions have, and the way they fit better within the more polished animation of TNBA and JLU. I will always proudly display my BTAS vehicles, but I would love to have a TNBA/JLU Batwing to go along with the newer Batmobile too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:49 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

hellpop wrote:
Ham Salad wrote:
The molds created by Hasbro-Kenner belong to Hasbro. Only if Mattel purchased them from Hasbro could they use them (which they did in the case of the Batcave and Batplane).

I meant if they belonged to Hasbro or DC/Warners, but I think that you knew that when you answered. Just wanted to clarify, in case the original question wasn't clear.

The molds would belong to Hasbro but they wouldn't be able to use them to produce a "Batmobile" without a license from WB/DC to do so. Considering how iconic the Batmobile designs generally are Hasbro would either have to do major re-tooling to be able to re-use the molds in another line (which the Kenner crew were masters at doing), scrap the molds, keep them in storage in case the license came back or sell them to the new license holder. I'm sure Mattel got a bargin on the molds considering the expense it would take for them to make new molds that size. I'm pretty sure that the stuff in Batman packaging was all exclusive to TRU but the JL version of the Batplane was availabe to anyone who wanted to carry it. I'm really surprised that the Batmobile was never issued in JL packaging...

Just to fuel the Batmobile debate going on, while cool on a certain level none of the Burton/Schumacher/Timm Batmobiles would be very practical for traveling in a city. These things are the size of a (small) stretch limo and are supposed to be able to carry on a high-speed chase in a busy city?... (Anybody see Mythbusters when they shot down the ability of the Batmobile to use a grapple to corner quickly? -- and that was a normal sized car!) The Tumbler and The Batman's Batmobiles are much more believable in the context that they're being used...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:54 pm 
Resin

Yeah, the old BTAS ones are cool, but I much prefer the TNBA / JL versions. I finally got a TNBA Batmobile a couple of months ago, but I don't have anywhere to put it right now. I would really love a Batjet of the newer design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:59 pm 
my tummy itches

Quote:
I personally prefer the evolution of the later designs of the Bat vehicles throughout the course of the Timm-verse shows. Don't get me wrong, the BTAS Batwing and Batmobile designs rocked, and the toys are outstanding, but I like the sleek edge the later versions have, and the way they fit better within the more polished animation of TNBA and JLU. I will always proudly display my BTAS vehicles, but I would love to have a TNBA/JLU Batwing to go along with the newer Batmobile too.

Ditto. I still very much want a TNBA styled Bat-wing... I think it could be done since it's design allows for it to be smaller scalewise and still look good. I personally think the TNBA Batmobile design may be my fave of all time. I love the BTAS version and enjoyed the movie versions to varying degrees (they were all fun and interesting in their own way). My least fave is actually the tumbler (not that I despise it either though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:50 am 
The Last Word

elvis8batman wrote:
I really would love Mattel to make a TNBA/JL Batwing.

Agreed. I hate the design that matches the look of those awful Tim Burton movies, so I never bought one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:03 pm 
Caped Crusader wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:
I really would love Mattel to make a TNBA/JL Batwing.

Agreed. I hate the design that matches the look of those awful Tim Burton movies, so I never bought one.

Don't be hatin' on BATMAN '89! Even if you do hate the film (which is insane to me), the basic design of the Batplane was cool in and of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:00 pm 
Collector Inspector

I remember that back when DC went from Hasbro to Mattel that Mattel said they had bought some molds, and some of them were action figures.
There was some rumblings of re-releasing old Hasbro molds under their dollar store toy lines.
I was really hoping they'd do that.
I really wish they would re-release some of hasbro's old small batvehicles like the atvs and gyroriders and stuff like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:36 am 
The Last Word

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
Don't be hatin' on BATMAN '89! Even if you do hate the film (which is insane to me)

I wouldn't hate it if it was good.

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
the basic design of the Batplane was cool in and of itself.

No, not really. If it was, I'd have added the animated version to my collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:49 pm 
Caped Crusader wrote:
Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
Don't be hatin' on BATMAN '89! Even if you do hate the film (which is insane to me)

I wouldn't hate it if it was good.

Oh come on, what was wrong with it? Sure the script wasn't perfect, but visually, the film is tremendous, it has a magnificent score by Danny Elfman, some exciting action scenes, and lots of good actors giving great performances, with Keaton as an appropriately brutal, no-nonsense Batman. It is also the closest film adaptation of Bob Kane and Bill Finger's original vision of the character.

I guess it is just an acquired taste. I personally enjoy it more and more, everytime I watch it.
Quote:
Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
the basic design of the Batplane was cool in and of itself.

No, not really. If it was, I'd have added the animated version to my collection.

The Batplane is supposed to be a plane that looks like a bat. The BTAS version is a plane that looks like a bat. What's the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:50 am 
The Last Word

I don't think this is really the place to discuss Tim Burton's shortcomings as a filmmaker, but here goes nothing...

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
Oh come on, what was wrong with it?

Aside from the inexplicable casting decisions (Michael Keaton? Robert Wuhl?? What is Jerry Hall doing there???), Jack Nicholson not even trying to be anything other than Jack Nicholson in white makeup and green hair, the ridiculous Joker-killed-the-Waynes angle, or the killing off of the primary villain at the end of the first film?

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
Sure the script wasn't perfect, but visually, the film is tremendous

The script - before Tim Burton got his hands on it and Jon Peters did his damage, anyway - was much better than the final film, which was, by the way, visually boring.

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
it has a magnificent score by Danny Elfman

I know, just like every other Tim Burton movie. :roll: It also has a bunch of songs Prince considered unworthy of being included on his albums.

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
some exciting action scenes

You and I, sir, differ on how we define exciting. :lol:

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
and lots of good actors giving great performances

:shock:

Where???

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
with Keaton as an appropriately brutal, no-nonsense Batman.

Mr. Mom isn't Batman. Johnny Dangerously isn't Batman. Beetlejuice isn't Batman. He had no business being in that movie, just like Tim Burton had no business directing it.

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
It is also the closest film adaptation of Bob Kane and Bill Finger's original vision of the character.

That's a bit of a stretch. Sam Hamm was at least equally influenced by what DC Comics was doing with Batman at the time as he was with the earliest issues, and Tim Burton had no interest in the source material.

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
I guess it is just an acquired taste.

Hardly. No, I'm afraid it's just not a decent Batman movie. It's Burtonman, and that's okay for Tim Burton fans. It gives them something to do between Cure albums. The guy has made a career of bad adaptations, and I've seen this particular one more times than I'd have cared to suffer through it. It never gets any better.

Dr.Mirakle32 wrote:
The Batplane is supposed to be a plane that looks like a bat. The BTAS version is a plane that looks like a bat. What's the problem?

It looks silly. elvis8batman posted images of the versions that manage to look good and retain the bat-inspired design.

elvis8batman wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:53 am 
Collector Inspector

Love or hate the Burton Batman, Jack Nicholson was awesome as the Joker. As for the Batplane all the designs from Burton on up were cool in their own right