Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:13 am 
Collector Inspector

Caped Crusader wrote:
On the other hand, I'd like to see an explanation from Mattel on why Big Bad Toy Store can't get new JLU product. They've obviously placed orders, because they have been accepting pre-orders on their web site.

Not to mention DCSH...I'm still wondering why the Two-Face case got nuked. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:58 am 
The Last Word

Yeah, I don't buy the DCSH figures, so I didn't even know about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:38 am 
Collector Inspector

Caped Crusader wrote:
Yeah, I don't buy the DCSH figures, so I didn't even know about that.

There was a special case with Knight Shadow Bats, Camo Bane, Two-Face and Batgirl...online retailer exclusive, if memory serves. One of each, a beautiful case...perfect. And right before it was due to ship, it was yanked by Mattel. CornerStoreComics even had some joke up about it, something involving Mattel and sucking hairy butts or something to that effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:33 am 
shirtless hugger

Fone Bone wrote:
hutchprime wrote:
Why do I have to do Mattel's job for them?

Sell your product to the retailers, Mattel. It's not my frakkin job. It's yours. If you don't want my money, fine. If you want my money, do your job.
Exactly. I can understand writing a letter to get a TV show back on the air (you NEED to convince people saving the show is worth the money) but Mattel needs to be sorting out the case ratios themselves. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Bus Accident Guy shifting the blame to the retailers and to a lesser extent US for thinking that constantly talking to a grown up at Target in charge of toys doesn't lead to you being looked at as if you have three heads. Because it does.

And I'm going to CONTINUE to complain until it gets fixed. I'm not going to say "Oh well, when the line is rebranded things will get better." We've been promised bigger and better things for YEARS now and at this point it's up to MATTEL to deliver them. Not me.

This is a really great thread and i agree with fonebone especially. I just wish Mattel would go back to the old style of 3-packs, with 1 or 2 new figures and NO trinity packs. I never had a problem finding a 3-pack until until the trinity packs came out and caused all the case ratio problems. Mattel obviously under estimated the collectors market. If they want to make the line more "collector friendly" then they need to go back to the old way and re-issue volcana and parasite! I don't care if i wind up with 20 batmen and supermen in the end as long as i can get all the new figures without having to waste 5 days a week searching to no avail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:02 am 
5th Horseman

I didn't read every post, but I'm done with this nonsense. I collected toys for a long time b/c they were fun and so was the process, but with DC it seems like the big story of the day is ALWAYS distribution. Wow, lucky us, how fun.

I thought this deal to reserve space in retail would correct any issues, but if it's up to us to tell retailers or write letters....forget it. I've done enough. If they botch up DCUC I'm not spending my time doing their job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:06 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

agree with you all !!there is only a limited amount we as fans and collectors can do , but what about Ebay it seems all the stuff we want to buy at retail , from toys to whatever I just buy toys my wife buys the rest :lol: , anyway If you have alot of spare time and no life .... according to ebay Its all there at retail at least for a little while, Im not turning this into a ebay hawker thing , it just seems the stores and toy company make their money then most of the highly sought after stuff gets put on Ebay and then the peg warmers prevent any reorders ??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:43 pm 
Knows his stuff

hey, does anyone know how to get ahold of the retailers via email?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:03 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

ditko wrote:
I didn't read every post, but I'm done with this nonsense. I collected toys for a long time b/c they were fun and so was the process, but with DC it seems like the big story of the day is ALWAYS distribution. Wow, lucky us, how fun.

I thought this deal to reserve space in retail would correct any issues, but if it's up to us to tell retailers or write letters....forget it. I've done enough. If they botch up DCUC I'm not spending my time doing their job.
The advice to talk to the retailers REALLY has me steamed. Even more so than the piss-poor JLU showing at ComiCon. First we had "we're looking into it" then "we're working on the distribution problems" and now it's "we lied, you're on your own".

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:38 pm 
shirtless hugger

Does anyone here really think Mattel wants us to do their work for them? Seriously? They have sales people who sell their product for them. Isn't it possible that they want us to tell retailers because they're not having any luck? Or just because they want our input?

I agree, this answer is frustrating; but the question was poorly phrased. If it really was about case ratios, it should have been phrased so.

As it has been pointed out, Mattel makes the product and delivers it to retailers. The retailers are the ones who distribute the product to their stores. Just because a new wave is out, that doesn't mean that it will automatically appear at your local store, especially if there is more than enough current product on the pegs already. Why would a store get more when they haven't sold through what they've got?

It all comes back to case ratios, as poor ratios equal pegwarmers. But even balanced cases don't always work, evidenced by all the pegwarming GL 3-packs with Tomar Re and Kilowog. Mattel has yet to find that perfect balance to achieve enough sell-through. We'll see if they can fix it in 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:14 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Glenn2000 wrote:
Here is the message I posted on 9/12/06...

We've been talking off & on about contacting the retail giants about the selection of toys for some time now. I finally took the plunge and looked up the appropriate head honchos that are responsible for the toys/action figures sold in their respective stores. Here are the addresses and people to write to if you're interested:

Mr. Ron Boire
Executive Vice President
Toys "R" Us, Inc.
One Geoffrey Way
Wayne, NJ 07470-2030

Ms. Gina Sprenger
Senior Vice President
Target, Inc.
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403

Mr. Douglas J. Degn
Executive Vice President
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
702 SOuthwest 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716

KMart has been a difficult company to track down since their joining up worth Sears. Their Corporate HQ is:

Kmart Corporation
3100 W. Big Beaver Road
Troy, MI 48084
(This address may have changed since the merger with Sears - I'm checking out)

Glenn2000: how did you get this info? I'd love to get similar info, but for Canadian retailers.

I'll write.... I've heard time and time again that a written letter gets the best response, because of the time & effort that it takes compared to a quick little email or a phone call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:31 pm 
proverbial old fart

Hum...

Seems everyone is ready to light the torches and grab the pitchforks...

Evidently everyone here either:

1. Believes writing is pointless as the company will not listen

or

2. Thinks that is the the job of the manufacturer to tell the retailer what to put on their shelves.

Okay, that's cool.

Me, I'm gonna continue to write. Not because I believe my voice will make a change in "the system." But, because it's important to me. I have to tell the retailers what they don't seem to understand:

1. Although women (moms & grandmas) make the vast majority of decisions on what is bought by the family, they don't make all the choices.

2. Toy sales, although huge, are declining as the window where kids play with toys shrinks and they are pushed from children into "tween" status where video games, music, sports gear and clothes are emphasized.

3. All the retailers and the manufactures STILL rely on market research that does not look at micro-trends that can and do have a significant impact on various products.

4. If the customers never say anything, then the retailers and the manufacturers continue to rely on market research, product testing, sales reports and other antiquated means of deciding on what to buy and sell.

5. If Mattel or Hasbro or Ban Dai make a pitch to Target or Wal-Mart or TRU it might, just might help if the retailer has received some information asking for that particular product from customers.

Me, I want Mattel to continue to make JLU figures, including oversized characters. I also was to see Legion of Super-Heroes figures and Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and the Question in plastic and in the stores. By asking for this regularly there is a chance that the buyers may jot it down on their blackberry to bring up at a meeting with Mattel.

It's already apparent that Target is receptive to the suggestions of Mattel for the oversized figure exclusives. Mattel was able to show that collectors - people with disposable and discretionary income were willing to buy what Mattel was offering them.

It's your choice. Write or don't. I think it's worth the time and effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:49 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I am not trying to say that "yes, we should be taking responsibility for our local retailers stocking product to my satisfaction" as many seem to think that Mattel is asking us to do.

I do agree that I shouldn't have to be working as an advocate for Mattel in order for them to get me the toys that I want to buy, however...

and this is me as a customer service rep speaking...

sometimes, it carries more weight to hear from the end buyer (us, the toy buying public), than it does from the source. I know from experience that as a representative of a company my opinion only has so much power.

A very specific example based on personal experience...

I currently work for Outback Steakhouse as a server/bartender/manager/cook/slave,etc. Recently, the corporation has being going through a bit of a managerial shuffle and is reidentifiying its brands (in simpler words we are changing several of our menu items and policies.) One of our side dishes went through a recipe change and was considered AWFUL by the staff. And we also received SEVERAL GUEST COMPLAINTS. We constantly passed those complaints in to corporate in an attempt for them to reconsider the new recipe. We were told "thanks for the input, your concerns are important to us.." We then took the approach to have every customer that DID NOT like the new recipe to send a quick email to the corporation. Within a month we received a notice from corporate that due to direct feedback from our GUESTS that corporate had decided to rethink the new recipe and was looking for customer feedback on specific new dish options. This changed specifically BECAUSE THE GUEST SPOKE WITH CORPORATE WITHOUT USING LOCAL OUTBACK MANAGEMENT AS A GO-BETWEEN.

Maybe, just maybe, Mattel is experiencing the same situation. The retail corporations are "thanking them for their input" but need to hear it directly from the end buyer (US) before they will take the input seriously.

Of course I could just be completely out of my mind here. Maybe Mattel is just lazy and looking for some free labor and guerilla promoters. However, how much could it hurt to share my dismay and frustration with the Corporate heads of my local retailers?

Food for thought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:24 pm 
5th Horseman

The DCUC line should have case ratios fixed with the inclusion on a BAF. If they don't, then we've got a worse mess than before. I've written letters and what not and usually feel big companies don't care.

Granted, Mattel does listen to us, so it's not impossible Walmart would too......but I swear DC is the only one with this problem. Years ago ToyBiz had it, but the BAF changed that.....and one has to think it will happen that way for DC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:43 pm 
PVC

Ham Salad wrote:
I agree, this answer is frustrating; but the question was poorly phrased. If it really was about case ratios, it should have been phrased so.

:oops: Yikes, I'm sorry guys! The question was mine, and I didn't phrase it as specifically as I should have! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:08 am 
Prototype

ditko wrote:
The DCUC line should have case ratios fixed with the inclusion on a BAF. If they don't, then we've got a worse mess than before. I've written letters and what not and usually feel big companies don't care.

Exactly. I'm worried about not having a complete build-a-figure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next