Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Well, I AM a retailer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:19 am 
Tis' but a pup

Hi all,

So seeing as Mattel has stated to take complaints to retailers, I thought I'd use my position as Front Store manager at the drugstore I am employed by to try and get some answers at least at a "store" level to queries about JLU and DCSH.

I phoned the president of our toy wholesaler, here in Canada, who we buy our Christmas flyer from every year. He and his company service the 4 Western provinces up here, and he has about 200 different accounts. I asked 2 very pointed questions about Mattel:

1) Why is there no DC presence in our flyer programs, or for that matter in your holdings. If I wanted to order these figures from him, why can't I?

2) Mattel is represented well in our flyer and in his stock, as shown by many Barbie, Hot Wheels, Little People/Fischer Price products to offer people. What is the reasoning for missing out on DC properties such as JLU and DCSH?

You know what I was told by the gentleman who goes to Toy Fair in New York to actually buy toys for his company?

"Mattel didn't really seem to be pushing any of those items at all. We weren't offered any sort of wholesale pricing that made it seem like Mattel was behind the product."

So...being that I've known this man for a few years now, I know he's not blowing smoke up my ass. We've had a great business relationship, and he doesn't fail to amaze me with how accomodating his company is in getting me stock. The impression I get, is that Mattel has their own agenda with what they want to "present and sell" to the mass of retailers out there. Lack of stock on shelves on a global scale proves this.

I want Mattel to stand behind the license they so dearly paid for and worked hard to get. I want them to make DC products widely available to ALL retailers, not just the Wal-Marts and the TRU's. Because frankly, business is business and my money shouldn't be any different than anyone else's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:37 pm 
MINT!

Any idea who to contact in the U.K. to get something similar underway here.

DC stuff is severley lacking over here at mass market. Don't really want to be paying inflated LCS prices or ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:40 pm 
shirtless hugger

Glen, thanks for the hard work you did getting all that info together, I totally support your efforts to spearhead a letter writing campaign. Howver, I also agree with Hutchprime's sentiments. At the end of the day I'll decide to either buy or not buy what Mattel gets on the shelves at Target, TRU or Wally. I

t's their job to supply product to stores for consumer (i.e. us) to purchase. If Mattel wants to throw this back at the consumers, well then I guess I will have to "consume" something else to get my toy fix. I don't know if the question was phrased correctly or not, but it certainly seemed to be a lame effort on Mattel's part to pass the buck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:57 am 
5th Horseman

I do like the fact that Mattel is dependent on us in decision making to a degree and I expect it to pay dividends in character selection and exclusives down the road, but this is a bit presumptuous to plan on us telling retailers what to order :roll: I'm not confident in them, especially after they reserved retail space. This shouldn't be an issue at all.

I was obsessed with making this line work and once it happened they started shipping Supermans/Bizarros, safety recalls and then this.... just get the stuff out and I'll buy it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:44 am 
shirtless hugger

I miss the good old days when Boy Wonder would pop into a thread like this, with lots of intelligent comments and good arguments, and let us know what was going on at Mattel. I can't help but feel like this new guy just brushes us off and doesn't want to be bothered. I know we can be a bunch of whinny collectors but is it too much to get a straight answer from Mattel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:09 pm 
Prototype

bat313 wrote:
I miss the good old days when Boy Wonder would pop into a thread like this, with lots of intelligent comments and good arguments, and let us know what was going on at Mattel. I can't help but feel like this new guy just brushes us off and doesn't want to be bothered. I know we can be a bunch of whinny collectors but is it too much to get a straight answer from Mattel?

I don't think Toy Guru us trying to brush us off. I just think that Mattel wants to get some things ready for DCUC and the JLU/DC Animated before giving us some news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:34 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Yesterday I submitted the next round of questions for Mattel's Q&A. Clarifying this statement was question #1 so hopefully we will have that answer soon.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:52 pm 
Knows his stuff

As always, Julius is on top of things. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:46 am 
Tis' but a pup

JuliusMarx wrote:
Yesterday I submitted the next round of questions for Mattel's Q&A. Clarifying this statement was question #1 so hopefully we will have that answer soon.

Thanks Julius!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:06 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Caprica6 wrote:
JuliusMarx wrote:

Thanks Julius!

And hopefully we can get that answer soon... TY Julius..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:13 am 
shirtless hugger

JuliusMarx wrote:

D.

Thanks Julius! I couldn't imagine being a collector of JLU without this site to go to. I probably would have given up a year ago. Mattel should really find a way to give you a commision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm 
Prototype

That's awesome, Julius. Can't wait to get the answers.