Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:12 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Is it worth it to buy a case of figures online?

I have always bought my figures in the past at retail. I like to physically see and hold the figure before I commit to buying. Secondly, I am a firm believer that if I don't have the cash on hand then I am not buying the figure regardless of how much I might want it. Only on a few RARE occasions have I resorted to eBay (Volcana 3 pack and Grundy) or from a member of this board (THanks for the SDCC 3Pack and SDCC Man-Bat guys!!!).

But lately I have found literally nothing at retail. And I know I am not alone. So my question is this. Is it REALLY worth it to buy figures online? I have heard from several members on this board that "if you buy a whole case and sell off the figures you don't want then it balances out to retail prices". I don't know if I buy that. First, I generally only want 1 or 2 figures out of a case of 6. Secondly, how long does it take to unload unwanted figures. I still have a whole box full of extra JLU figures that I need to just give away to local kids and family members due to know one being willing to pay for them (7 supes, 8 batmans, etc.). That's not to mention having to give up that tactile thrill of holding the figure frst.

Lately I have been looking at BBTS and CSC for cases of DCUC. I dread chasing everything down only to finally be missing Metamorpho's leg or Grodd's abdomen. But those cases of 6 don't include all the variants meaning I will still be in stores trying to track down that one last hard-to find figure that may be the only one I actually wanted in the first place.

So I am left to wonder again, is it worth it?

ANy thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Is it worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:21 am 
5" Scale

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I still have a whole box full of extra JLU figures that I need to just give away to local kids and family members due to know one being willing to pay for them (7 supes, 8 batmans, etc.).

I never have a problem selling my extra JLU figures on ebay, just sell them in lots, tons of people buy loose JL figures so they can make their custom figures.

But about buying cases online, it doesnt always come out to retail pricing even when you can sell off the extra figures, but its still a lot cheaper if you count your time as money and dont forget gas money.

I almost always buy my figures from CSC, its just a lot easier that way, I enjoy the figures, not the hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:44 am 
ABS

I am in the same boat. I expect to have to buy a set of Trek or SG-1 figures online. But Mattel figures? Mass market figures? Then there is the problem of the variants you bring up.

I think I am going to end up buying the case and forgetting about the variants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:45 am 
my tummy itches

bnjmnrlyr - It seems like you've already put quite a bit of thought into what is right for you.

For me - I've collected for years and I just don't enjoy "the hunt" at all. I simply will not drive out of my way for figures anymore and I find that seeing empty pegs is ultimately the part that is most frustrating to me. So ordering online is great for me. I look at the shipping cost as being negated in the end compared to time wasted on fruitless hunting and gas costs.

To be more specific to your questions about cases - I most often buy things that are only in stock (if it is an item that will be released at mass retail). I have no qualms preordering items that are only going to appear at comic shops. So when ordering a case of something like DCSH, I ordered a case of the Clayface wave only when I was told that the vendor (enchantedtoychest.com in this example) was about to receive the case in a day or so). I wanted 3 of the 6 figures badly enough that I acknowledged there was a risk in parting with the other 3. But still, I had such a hard time finding Batgirl and Two Face, that to buy those two on ebay, after shipping, was looking to be around $45-50. So I got a case of 6 figures for about $65 shipped. I didn't feel like I was in the hole for too much more if I couldn't sell those other three and I had the figures now instead of lots of looking for nothing.

Also in this example, since I did have the figures so quickly, I put the three I didn't want up on ebay for $9.99 each and had no problems selling the Joker, Nightwing or Bruce to Batman. In fact, even after ebay fees, I think I made approx $2 per figure (Each figure closed for around $14). Anything to brag about? Nope, as I don't like to sell stuff anyways, so the extra couple of dollars per figure went to the hassle to ship them etc.

I like selling at cost or trading with other collectors, but in this case, I didn't know anyone who wanted those three figures who weren't already buying cases and it was get rid of them now or be stuck with them forever. Heck, you could look at the $2 per figure I made as paying off the shipping I spent for the case to be sent to me in the first place.

-------------

For JLU singles, I'd never touch a case due to the packouts. Look at the Huntress/Shade case: just 1 of each of them and then 10 figures that most of us have had for a long time. I have ordered 3 pack cases in 2006 when everything was on the yellow cards and you got 2 of each new 3 pack per case of six. I could just split the case with another collector - win win for both of us. Now, the case pack outs have not been so friendly so I've just traded for most of those.

--------------

As for DCU, yeah, I probably will order cases once stores get them in stock. I have enough interest in the characters to be wanting to make full sets. As for the variants, I hope to get them but if not, maybe I can trade for them down the road? I'm not going to let myself get too worked up about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:14 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Sometimes it's a good idea for me to buy sets online.

Usually I can find a set to buy instead of a case.

That can work out, and I only usually want 1 or 2 from a series. the rest I give away and write it off my taxes.
I just like not having to try to find them. That's a pain.
And with Mattel stuff?? Well, the first few series of Sup/Bats stuff was easy, but now it's just so hard. Who knows what the DCAU will be like??

But it comes down to this: I have the money. And when it comes to money vs. aggrivation, I'll spend the money every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:39 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

OK. I bit the bullet and ordered the CLayface case from BBTS. Very pricey up front in comparison to past shopping expenditures. Yes, I am getting very tired of "the hunt". I am getting to a point where my son (5 years old and waaaaayyyyyy to smart for my own good) is really excited about PLAYING with these figures and that is something that makes them more valuable for me as we share the experience.

So, I placed an order. And now I have to sit with the anticipation of receiving the package. How is it that this new feeling has replaced what used to be the joy of walking down an aisle to be faced with new figures. And part of just knows that tomorrow I will go to Target and find every stinking last one of these fiugres on the shelf just staring me down and singing "nyah, nyah, you get suckered."

I must be delusional. Really.

Anyway. I did it. My first official online toy order. I still am not sure that is ultimately worth it. But lets just see how it goes. Thanks for the input from those of you that chimed in early. I appreciate it.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:02 am 
Prototype

I've ordered the entire Clayface wave online. I don't want the Joker figure but I can always sell that later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:41 pm 
An Insider

for JLU, I wouldn't order a case online. I did, however, buy the parasite/stargirl pack from BBTS and don't regret it since I've never seen it at retail.

for DCSH, like many here, I ordered the whole case from BBTS and it was the best thing as far as eliminating the hunt. I was completly satisfied. the case was evenly packed, and I want to keep all of the figures. they're fantastic.

I can definitely see myself ordering future waves of DCSH from now on, if this continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:57 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

I think it's worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:16 am 
Tis' but a pup

If you don´t live in USA it´s imposible to find any JLU figure (any cool figure really)in the retail market, so almost my entire collection is from some web site, I think it´s always an option