Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My musings on the whole Mattel/JLU situation.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:00 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Okay, so if you're like me, finding JLU at retail has become one of the single most difficult shopping experiences of your life. It's as if all retail toy stores have been using K-Marts' business model of never having anything in stock! I've never seen the new Doomsday set at any Targets, nor have I ever seen a Volcana three pack, or singles of Blue Devil, Vixen, Mirror Master, and Sinestro. I only ever saw one Vigilante once, and I shouldn't have to rely on a supermarket to find me my DCSH modern blue Supergirl.

Each and every day, with very few exceptions, I hit three Targets, and at least one Wal-Mart looking for these damned things. Not that Wal-Mart carries JLU anymore.

So, what gives? Here's what I think...as if my opinion counts for something :wink:

There are some folks at Mattel(we'll call them the Good Guys) who want to give us the dream JLU collection that we are all...dreaming of. Non-show characters such as Animal Man! Embargoed No-No Unmakeables such as Green Lantern Hal Jordan! The works. All under a rebranded and relaunched DCU Animated line.

Problem is, only two of the three major retailers support JLU anymore, and that would be Target and Toys R Us. The Good Guys' bosses at Mattel will only let this happen if Wal-Mart will carry the DCU Animated line. Basically, if Wal-Mart doesn't want it to happen, it won't happen. Dopey, but likely.

Why do I think this? Well, let's start with Target. As far as I can tell, they've never clearanced out JLU, or ended it in their system. Yeah, the Doomsday set was clearanced, but that's normal Target wackiness. Target is also the home of the JLU six pack with the oversized character inside. It sold very well for them, and so will the Grodd set. They won't abandon the line(if ever) until the Grodd set has come, gone, and been clearanced out, if necessary.

Toys R Us. Has a few Mattel/DC exclusives, not the least of which is the JLU Big Guns lineup box set. There are reports of people finding new JLU there, so TRU is at least receiving some stuff for us to buy. Exclusives equal retailer interest.

Wal-Mart. Now, why would Mattel, in their very own Q+A answers, be telling us fans that it is us who should let retailers know what we want to see in their stores? More to the point, why would Mattel need us to tell Target and TRU anything? Both Target and TRU still support JLU. Granted, the distribution sucks big time, but these two retailers have shown that they want JLU in their stores. Wal-Mart is the problem, I believe. Wal-Mart is who we need to tell, as the Good Guys' bosses want WM to pick up this new line, thereby making the line that much more profitable.

By my reasoning, Wal-Mart needs to be selling the rebranded JLU line when the time comes. They will most likely be carrying the DCSH line next year. At least, I hope so. Anyway, I think that we haven't heard any real, definitive answer about the future of JLU until Mattel hears back from WM. If WM doesn't carry it, then it will end right then and there.

Well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:04 am 
Damage Control

Is there a point of contact at WALMART where it would be effective to send emails or snail mail to? I know folks on this board would certainly participate if it meant helping out the JLU line and getting us another brick and mortar store that we could search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:40 am 
An Insider

Pretty sound theory, I think. I read an article in Rolling Stone a couple of years back that claimed Wal-mart accounted for something like 90% of CD sales. It is a retail juggernaut.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:00 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Not to be rude (really), but I'm just curious as to why we needed yet another thread on this when we have about 4 already...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:06 am 
An Insider

I believe Howard the Duck is trying to be strategic toward an effort that, if his theory is correct, would provide a common focal point of action on our part as an online community of sorts that may allow for the continuation of the JLU / DCAU line. (How's that for a run-on pseudo-intellectual sounding sentence?) :wink:

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:38 am 
Prototype

I think Howard is absolutely correct. Wal-Mart is the top seller store in the world and they have A LOT of power. I have no idea why Wal-Mart hasn't supported the JLU line but things don't look good for getting many animated figures in the future. :cry: