Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where's mattel at the Toy Fair?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:34 am 
serves the Otter

Luthor brought this up at the hall. was wondering if anyone else knows. Supposedly there are JLU there. But we've heard meh.

Fall ToyCon is Oct 9-12

http://toyassociation.org/AM/Template.c ... oy_Preview

Mattel's not listed. Any idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:11 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9240

Mum has been the word. When there *is* word, tho, it only consists of "stay tuned."

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:50 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Just find it very interesting that they aren't even listed considering some of the comments from ToyGuru regarding the future of the line.

Daniel? Jason? Any comments? I know you can't say anything about the line itself, just wondering if there's any particular reason Mattel isn't listed.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:13 am 
Prototype

Don't understand why they wouldn't be listed. Weird. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:53 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I really believe this line is dead and it's a shame. I know Mattel told us it's still going, but we've heard it for awhile now with nothing to show for our patience. If it is dead, they did it to themselves with pathetic distribution as well as ridiculous case packs. Go into any store and see dozens of Bats and Supes clogging up the shelves...it doesn't really take a genius to figure that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:39 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

texgnome1 wrote:
Daniel? Jason? Any comments? I know you can't say anything about the line itself, just wondering if there's any particular reason Mattel isn't listed.

I was in touch with Scott (Toy Guru) earlier this week to follow up on something and he told me they were gonna be busy with Toy Fair this week. So Mattel is there (barring unforeseen obstacles).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 pm 
Factory Worker

bizzaro wrote:
I really believe this line is dead and it's a shame. I know Mattel told us it's still going, but we've heard it for awhile now with nothing to show for our patience. If it is dead, they did it to themselves with pathetic distribution as well as ridiculous case packs. Go into any store and see dozens of Bats and Supes clogging up the shelves...it doesn't really take a genius to figure that out.

i agree, it was attempted suicide, i dont know hwy since it was the most popular line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:20 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

vader wrote:
texgnome1 wrote:

I was in touch with Scott (Toy Guru) earlier this week to follow up on something and he told me they were gonna be busy with Toy Fair this week. So Mattel is there (barring unforeseen obstacles).

Fair enough Vader, it's just that when you look at the list of attendees, they are very conspicuous by their absence.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:35 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Look, they can *say* anything they want.

We, as the consumer, need *proof* that the line is continuing.

Sheesh...hasn't this crap gone on long enough?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:02 pm 
3 3/4"

seriously..enough of this mess...
can we get some kind of answer?? We all want to give you money Mattel!!! Let us do that!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:41 am 
categorically opposed

Why don't you just pretend like it's the '80s and '90s again, and let the proof be when you see something on the shelf?

If you never see it, there's your proof it's not continuing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:17 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

MoMoney wrote:
Why don't you just pretend like it's the '80s and '90s again, and let the proof be when you see something on the shelf?

Word--the internet has spoiled us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:13 am 
The Last Word

MoMoney wrote:

That's how I feel about the line. If they announce something, I'll read about it, but I'm not terribly concerned with getting info about its future at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:46 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

MoMoney wrote:

Well, waiting for product to hit store shelves to see what's up isn't very encouraging, internet or no internet. I understand the reasoning, but it's not a reality anymore.

Since Target and TRU haven't yet held mass clearances of their JLU product(like Wal-Mart did), I think it can be assumed that the JLU line is somewhat still alive at those retailers. For now.

HOWEVER...

Mattel REALLY needs to come clean. And I mean right away. If the line is announced to be ending, then all of us fans can finally stop looking for the already-elusive-enough JLU figures.

Somebody connected to AFI must have some kind of knowledge on the subject...right? Maybe even a contact inside this shadowy October Toy Fair? 'Cause if this Toy Fair comes and goes without the slightest hint of good news for JLU, then I will personally be a bit ticked off, as will a great many of us.

Waiting 'til February to know whether or not I can look forward to more JLU isn't good enough. I don't want specifics, and I don't need pics. I just want a clear, concise, straight-up, 100% definitive, non-doublespeak answer from Mattel, "line being picked up", or no. The two(and only two) options for this answer are the following:

Option A: Mattel, to the collecting community at large, "Yes, JLU will definitely be moving forward, and we will see a great many more new action figures from this fan-favorite line in the coming year!"

Option B: Mattel, to the same, "No, JLU has been ended, and there are no more plans to make, design, release, or otherwise provide the world at large toys based on this fan-favorite line."

Like The Rock says in The Rundown, "There is no Option C."

So, the gauntlet has been thrown down, Mattel. Have at thee! :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:51 am 
Factory Worker

MoMoney wrote:

its not like we have choice is it? well if there are "new" figures they'll come out in january and february so toy fair wont really matter