Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Master of the Universe...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:23 am 
Collector Inspector

Well we all know what happened the last two times Mattel brought He-Man and crew out.

In 89 they tried a space epic He-Man which failed to catch on. Had they tried to incorporate the classic mythos into that line it might have had a bit moore steam. Looking back there were a few cool designs mixed in, but some of the characters were weak.

Then there was the 200x line. Those were beautiful and they faithfully reproduced (for the most part) and updated the classic line. My problem, and I'm sure I'm not alone, was that I couldn't find the core characters. By the time I started to find a few of them, I didn't evenn want to bother. Also Spin and Smash Blade He-man and Skeletor kinda ruined it a bit too. Sure there are the Staticons, but they aren't figures.

At SDCC they teased us with that cool classic, articulated He-Man to guage some interest. I think it worked, because it got me thinking about Masters again. Maybe it sparked something for some other people here too?

Where does the property stand? Who knows? I think if we talk about it a bit and show it some support, maybe it will show there is still interest out there. Talk about what you liked/disliked in the past, and what you would want to see in the future.

The one thing I ask is don't broogle about JLU in here. There is an official thread for that ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:19 pm 
Hat Pooper

I never collected this line but oh was I tempted! I knew if I got one or two I would have a whole other line to collect taking away all my money. But those figures looked great.

JLU Wishlist - Stargirl (taller), S.T.R.I.P.E., Gypsy, Johnny Thunder, Thunderbolt, The Creeper, Crimson Avenger, Dr. Mid-Nite, Two-Face (repaint), Batwoman, Killer Croc, Firefly, Poison Ivy, The Mad Hatter, The Riddler, Roxy Rocket, Scarface, Baby Doll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:38 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I loved 4 Horsemen's 200x He-Man line. They knew that!

My big problem were limitations by Mattel. Too many He-Man figures, not enough supprting cast. The Four Horsemen's color choices getting changed or scrapped, and articulation like mid-torso, knee, and ankle joints getting shot down in the production phase.

With the new superposeable action figure being popular, it's time to bring back He-Man. I miss them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:46 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I collect vintage and new. If mattel stays faithful to the line as to what they showed us at SDCC I would have no hesitation in collecting a new relaunch. That prototype is as close as the perfect He-man as I have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:55 pm 
5th Horseman

I never got into He-Man as a kid, but the relaunched one in 200x caught my eye. I gave up on toy collecting when I was nearing college age and Star Wars took over the aisles. After 4+ years, I started to collect again b/c of Spiderman Classics and then I saw this bad@ss He-Man.

I thought the whole line was incredible and later discovered it was the artists behind the Spawn figures (probably my favorite figures ever) who had done these as well.

In any case, I think the last revamp will endure as a collector fave forever even though it was short lived, but I bet we see some more down the road. Convention exclusives and perhaps a new movie would help generate interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:52 am 
Collector Inspector

NiteOwl wrote:
I collect vintage and new. If mattel stays faithful to the line as to what they showed us at SDCC I would have no hesitation in collecting a new relaunch. That prototype is as close as the perfect He-man as I have ever seen.

Quoted for truth.

I had another off idea to get some of the He-man characters some limelight. Seeing as the old line had similarities to JLU, with the reuse of body parts, wouldn't it be cool to have some Bruce Timm esq figures using a mix of JLU parts and some new limbs. They would really have to create 2 types of legs (fur boots and pointed feet) and other details could be painted on. After All Bruce Timm did do some work on the masters and it would be a fitting tribute.

Another thought I had was maybe some re-issues of the 200x line, maybe in more classic colors or some re-tooling? I know there are a few of us that would like to get another shot at Teela or Evil Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:46 am 
5" Scale

Honestly, I'm happy with the stactions....they really are works of art, IMO. It would have been nice for the figure line to continue, but heck...with NECA handling it, I can at least FIND the things! :) (Well, get them online, anyway.)

I don't know that I'd want to start collecting another new line, though. I have all of the vintage MOTU (those were my main toys when I was a kid, and most of them have held up quite well.) I am one of the few MOTU fans who collected the NA as well. I really think the 4H did wonders with the new line, and really brought out a lot of the character potential. I'm really happy with what I have so far, and what's been announced. I'm hoping for stactions of Moss Man and Spikor, but for the most part, I'm pretty content.

And frankly, if they can't make a movie that's LOTR-style, and really focus on the characters, magic & mystery of Eternia, then I would just assume they not make a new movie. The last one was embarassing enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:06 am 
4" scale

I love MOTU. It's the reason I collect action figures in general. However, I prefer the earlier 4H style that they are now continuing with the stactions. I would be happy to see the newly designed MOTU on the shelves but I would hesitate collecting them unless I know Mattel can back them up and actually give us an assortment of characters worth investing in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:58 am 
Damage Control

I loved the 2002 MOTU line. I'm still rockin' it with the Stactions. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 am 
Knows his stuff

Kevenn wrote:
I loved the 2002 MOTU line. I'm still rockin' it with the Stactions. :D

Same here. At least the Four Horsemen and NECA have given MOTU fans some great product with the stactions. I would be all for a new line in similar style to what was shown at SDCC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm 
ABS

And the show was pretty damn good too. 2002 was more than a 20 minute toy commercial. It went so in depth; like when Prince Adam goes "By the power of Grayskull!" It's not the castle, but his ancestor King Grayskull he's talking/shouting about.

Figures were awesome, and hope the bring out new ones. They'll get my money for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:31 am 
5th Horseman

I never really watched the old cartoon or new one for that matter. Maybe I'll try to track a DVD down on ebay. I'd think we'll see more toys, it's a popular franchise, but Mattel has to not screw it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:11 am 
An Insider

what still angers me is that Mattel had to make all there mistakes with MOTU 2001-2003 line for us to get where we are today. They lerned what didn't work and now we have amazing DC figures! I guess I should be happy with that, but I'm MORE of a He-Fan then a comics fan. I'm a huge MOTU nut! I love (almost) everything about He-Man and Masters of the universe. Hell I even love the 87 film and Gwildor! :lol: I even loved playing with Starship Eternia and some of the New adventures toys in the ealry 90's. The only thing I didn't like about The New Adventures was that they where too skinny and not as muscular as the MOTU figures...

Comic-Con 2001 was like entering into Heaven. 2003 was like being condemned to Hell. Try as the 4HM might The Mini Statues are just that...They are not toys. I have them, but when I look at them, I just makes me sad I can't play with them...

Primetime wrote:
Seeing as the old line had similarities to JLU, with the reuse of body parts, wouldn't it be cool to have some Bruce Timm esq figures using a mix of JLU parts and some new limbs. They would really have to create 2 types of legs (fur boots and pointed feet) and other details could be painted on. After All Bruce Timm did do some work on the masters and it would be a fitting tribute.

That is what I loved about JLU when it started, that it was so much like the original He-Man toys. If Mattel did the four inch "animated" format and the six inch "collector" format with a new MOTU I'd get both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:28 am 
Infinite Hero

From Figures.com's recent Mattel Q & A:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action ... e=206&nl=1

Quote:
Figures: There's no denying fans want more Masters of the Universe. What would it take for Mattel to bring the toy line back?

Mattel: We ask that fans for just a little bit more patience as we finalize the details. Typically, it takes 12-18 months for toys to go from concept to toy shelf. As for MOTU, we are absolutely working on it.

Interesting...

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:25 pm 
5th Horseman

Jeff Cope wrote:
From Figures.com's recent Mattel Q & A:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action ... e=206&nl=1

Quote:
Figures: There's no denying fans want more Masters of the Universe. What would it take for Mattel to bring the toy line back?

Mattel: We ask that fans for just a little bit more patience as we finalize the details. Typically, it takes 12-18 months for toys to go from concept to toy shelf. As for MOTU, we are absolutely working on it.

Interesting...

:shock: Here we go.........

I'm curious if the 4Horseman would do it or not? I didn't get into He-Man as a youngster because I only played with robots in disguise, but these caught my eye a few years ago and I'd be interested in a new line. I enjoy my McFarlane figures very much, as well as some NECA lines, Seventh Kingdom etc. & MOTU fits right in with them.

Could anyone post a pic of the classic He-Man shown last SDCC