Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Sam Raimi Offered The Hobbit?

Source: TheOneRing.net

November 23, 2006

We're pretty doubtful this will happen, as Sony Pictures will probably want him back for a fourth "Spider-Man" movie, but TheOneRing.net has posted an interesting scoop that director Sam Raimi has been offered to helm The Hobbit.

This update comes shortly after the news that "Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson said he won't be returning to the franchise because of his lawsuit against New Line Cinema for "The Fellowship of the Ring" earnings.

We assume that if Raimi was to direct a fourth Spidey film, he would be starting on it fairly soon after the third film is released on May 4, 2007. Plus, there would be the added pressure of stepping into the Jackson-created world.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else would take on the project, or whether MGM (which owns the distribution rights) will succeed in bringing New Line and Jackson back to the table.

Mike
(Image)

Last edited by SDcomics on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:16 pm 
An Insider

I love Raimi's work on Spider-Man, but Jackson kicked arse on the Trilogy! They need to figure it out while Ian McKellen is still spry enough to play Gandalf.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:17 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Saw this on imdb.com:

Jackson Kicked Off 'The Hobbit' In Fit of Pique, Says Report

New Line Cinema notified Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson that he would not be involved in the production of The Hobbit and another LOTR prequel after Jackson declined to contribute a video salute to the studio for its 40th anniversary celebration next year, the New York Times reported today (Wednesday), citing two people familiar with the matter. Jackson and New Line are locked in a legal dispute over profits from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. The Times said that Jackson's camp has accused the studio of dropping him from the prequels "in a fit of pique." Meanwhile, a spokesman for MGM which owns distribution rights to The Hobbit, told the Times. "We support Peter Jackson as a filmmaker, and believe that when the dust settles, he'll be making the movie. We can't imagine any other result."

Mike
(I hope the MGM guy is right)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Hobbit in 2009?

Source: coming soon

February 18, 2007

Despite his falling out with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson, who sued New Line regarding "The Fellowship of the Ring," New Line founder and co-chairman Robert K. Shaye is pressing ahead and eyeing a 2009 release for The Hobbit.

The New York Times interviewed Shaye last week and said:

And he would not comment on reports in the news media that the "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi had been asked to direct "The Hobbit." He said, however, that although there was no workable script yet for the film, he intended to release it in 2009.

Will Sam Raimi, or another director come on board? Stay tuned for more news as it comes in regarding the high profile project.

Mike
(It would a shame of this movie is directed by anyone other than Peter Jackson, IMO.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:12 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Dead Hobbits Society

Weir rumored as director candidate.

May 10, 2007 - Spider-Man 3 director Sam Raimi may be the frontrunner to helm The Hobbit for New Line Cinema -- seeing as how the studio has banned Lord of the Rings filmmaker Peter Jackson from directing it -- but now there's a juicy rumor that the studio may be pursuing another director as well.

According to Ain't It Cool News, Aussie director Peter Weir (Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World) is "being approached" by New Line to direct it.

Weir's eclectic filmography includes Witness, The Year of Living Dangerously, Dead Poets Society, Gallipoli, The Mosquito Coast, Fearless and The Truman Show.

For his part, Raimi has repeatedly said that, while he's open to the possibility of directing The Hobbit, he won't make a decision about what his next project will be until he has put Spider-Man 3 fully behind him and taken a break.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:07 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

McKellen Talks The Hobbit

He says Gandalf's return looks likely.

October 16, 2007 - Sir Ian McKellen is still enchanted with the wizard Gandalf and expects to reprise his Oscar-nominated role for the much anticipated The Hobbit, whether or not Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson helms it.

McKellen informed Reuters, "When Peter announced he had withdrawn from The Hobbit, he sent me an e-mail saying 'Because I am not going to do it, it doesn't mean you have to do the same. Of course, you must play Gandalf whether I direct or not.'"

The 68 year-old British actor added, "I am glad to read that (The Hobbit) is looking more and more likely. ... I would be disappointed if they didn't want to have the original Gandalf. I suppose if I am still functioning and working well, it is very likely I would be asked to do it and if I were, I would be very pleased to do it."

It was recently reported that New Line Cinema and Jackson are trying to mend fences in an effort to finally bring the J.R.R. Tolkien tale to the big-screen. Both sides have been engaged in a heated lawsuit over profits from the LotR trilogy, which led to studio boss Robert Shaye banning Jackson from working on any New Line pic including The Hobbit.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:58 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Raimi Talks Hobbit

Would the Spidey helmer direct Tolkien's tale?

October 17, 2007 - With the icy relationship between Lord of the Rings filmmaker Peter Jackson and New Line seemingly starting to thaw, reports of other directors being linked to The Hobbit seem to have subsided. However, there's still the possibility that Jackson and New Line will not kiss and make up, and even if they do it could be that Jackson will choose to simply produce the film. If either of those scenarios play out, who might take the reins?

The other director most talked about for The Hobbit has been Spider-Man helmer Sam Raimi. Raimi, who produced the new vampire horror flick 30 Days of Night through his Ghost House Pictures production company, says he'd still love to be considered for the project if Jackson is not in the director's chair.

"I think there's no better choice to direct The Hobbit than Peter Jackson," Raimi told members of the media at the 30 Days of Night press day. "I'm a giant fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Peter Jackson is a brilliant filmmaker. He would be the guy that I think everybody would like to see direct it. Hopefully, he will direct it and give us his great version of it. If he doesn't direct it and decides just to produce it, I'd love to be considered as the director."

Jackson has been involved in a tense legal battle with New Line over profits from The Fellowship of the Ring, as well as public war of words with New Line honcho Bob Shaye. However, the legal issues may soon be resolved, and both Shay and Jackson have recently made conciliatory overtures.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject: New Line, MGM, Peter Jackson confirm the LOTR prequels...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:50 am 
my tummy itches

ACADEMY AWARD-WINNER PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT,” EAGERLY-ANTICIPATED FANTASY ADVENTURE EPIC

NEW LINE AND MGM TO CO-PRODUCE AND SHARE WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS

PETER JACKSON AND FRAN WALSH TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE TWO FILMS BASED ON “THE HOBBIT”

Los Angeles, CA (Tuesday, December 18, 2007) Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.” New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on “The Hobbit.” New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the “Lord of the Rings” (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, “I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. ‘The Lord of the Rings’ is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey.”

“Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making ‘The Hobbit,’” said Sloan, MGM’s Chairman and CEO. “Now that we are all in agreement on ‘The Hobbit,’ we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film.”

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, “We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with ‘The Hobbit’ movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Trilogy.”

“Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with ‘The Lord of the Rings,’” notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. “We’re delighted he’s back for ‘The Hobbit’ films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord.”

The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Most excellent news!

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:31 am 
An Insider

Huzzah!

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:12 am 
5" Scale

WOW! I didn't think this would ever get around to happening, but cool that it is.

I wonder what the premise of the Hobbit sequel will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:57 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

A sequel to the Hobbit-- Are you F'n kidding me---

Just make one the right way and be done with it-(the battle of 5 armies should be awesome)- cash cow or not..

Next thing you know they are going to make a prequel as well.... the Rise of Smeagal...

Sometimes you just have to stop..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:22 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Actually they are splitting the Hobbit in half, so the two movies are actually one movie in two parts.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:44 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

stewbacca wrote:
Sometimes you just have to stop..

Normally I would say 'yes' in agreement, but it's Peter Frikkin' Jackson we're talking about here.

The respect for the source material is there...let the man play in the sandbox as long as he wants to...

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:39 pm 
Collector Inspector

Never said anything about Peter Jackson directing.

I have a few friends that are just gonna pop over this.
Which reminds me. I still need to see RETURN OF THE KING extended edition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next