Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Clear the Pegs! $5 Mattel Coupon at K-Mart
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:35 pm 
PVC

There is a $5 off coupon for a Mattel or Fisher-Price purchase of $20 at K-Mart! Click here for the printable coupon good until 11/30/07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:42 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

THanks much bro! But you know what... In my K-mart, their mark-up vs Target and TRU or Walmart would just even out with the discount. Still, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:02 am 
active in the community

Is K-Mart stocking either of the current Batman waves? Or are there countless Bizarros and Supermen still sitting on the shelves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:00 am 
Tis' but a pup

Has anyone seen anything at all JLU with a purple card at their local K-Mart? My local store recently restocked a bunch of orange card stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:59 am 
serves the Otter

lance wrote:
THanks much bro! But you know what... In my K-mart, their mark-up vs Target and TRU or Walmart would just even out with the discount. Still, thanks!

Same here. I might check some of their other Mattel and Fisher Price stuff, though...I don't know that their markup is that high on everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:51 am 
Fugitive Dust

My Kmart has everything about a dollar or more higher than Walmart or Target. You have to spend $20 to get the $5 off, but that would be only two JLU 3 packs or DCSH figures at their usual $10.99 or $11.99 price there.

Last edited by brebro on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:38 am 
active in the community

I went to kmart today, god they suck, big lots has a better selection of toys then they do, its only a matter of time before kmart sinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:38 am 
Former King of Posts

The two kmarts closest to me folded when Walmart and Target moved in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:06 am 
5" Scale

My K-Mart occassionally gets JLU single-carded figures in (purple back). And they recently got a wave of Superman figures (purple) in, but by the time I got there they had only 1 Superman, Steel, Parasite and Mongul.

Basically, my K-Mart is awful for DC stuff, and always has been, except Superfriends, oddly enough, because I found most of them there.

They're usually quite good with Marvel Legends, Star Wars & Transformers...also, found the 25th ann. Joes there first. (So basically, they're good with Hasbro stuff! :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 am 
Prototype

My local K-Mart closed three years ago. Now the closest K-Mart to me is an hour away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:16 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

DCSH at my K-Mart are 8.99 and they just got Cyborg Supes wave in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:30 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

New member to the board, but frequently monitor. Got Blue Devil at Kmart 2 weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:49 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I saw a single carded Shining Knight for the first time about 2 weeks ago at a Kmart. Also they are still getting in new 10" JLU. Might be worth a look if you still have one around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:12 pm 
PVC

Yeah, today I saw the 10" Aquaman w/cloth cape and Justice Lords Superman. They also had the Kyle Green Lantern 3pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:18 am 
PVC

Well, the field report on these coupons is mixed. I traveled to the four K-marts that remain in the SF Bay Area. If these K-marts were any farther away from where I live, they would count as taking a vacation. Seriously, I'm fortunate that they only require a total round trip of 50 miles in an afternoon.

Armed with four coupons for $5 off, I set out to buy some Mattel products. Let's recap the action:

Store #1--Redwood City. I start off well; there are three 10" purple box JLU Figures (Cloth Cape Aquaman and Batman, plus Superman). I bring all three to the register with the coupon; it won't scan. The register readout for the coupon indicates that the total does not match the previous item. The clerk and I are confused by this. This is a $20 Mattel toy purchase, and the coupon should work. The clerk runs off to check with the supervisor, and comes back with the correct key combination to make it work. The receipt reads "NFS MFR Coupon."

Hmm.

Store #2--San Mateo. Five 2007 purple 10" Figures (A JLords Superman, 2 JLords Flash, Cloth Cape Batman and Superman). I take the cloth caped figures with coupon to the registers. The coupon fails to discount after scanning. This time the supervisor comes over; she looks like she has seen her share of big-box store hooligans, tomfoolery and balderdash. "I'll have to check on this. It doesn't say K-Mart.com on it." I pull out my ace, the previous K-Mart receipt. "Will this help?" It barely works this time as the supervisor grudgingly accepts the coupon while suggesting that this is breaking the rules somehow. The trend is not encouraging.

Dinner break near Talbot's, a locally-owned toy store in San Mateo where I bought my first bike and the G.I. Joe Bridgelayer vehicle. Hey! They have 10" Purple boxes for $1 less than K-Mart. I buy three to support the fine, friendly folks there.

Store #3--Hayward. Snark jackpot! Two yellow-box 10" Atoms on the shelf; I take them to the register with the coupon. It scans, but the error code comes up again. I ask the clerk what that means; she thinks that it means I have to buy an item that is listed on the logos at the bottom of the coupon: Hot Wheels, Barbie, Fisher-Price, etc. I skip the discussion of the word "any" on the coupon (that topic is better left to the AFI Boards) and head back to the toy department to test the theory.

I bring back a ShadowTek Batmobile and a Hot Wheels monster truck. I state to the cashier, "Let's conduct an experiment. I don't want to buy these items, but, let's scan the coupon and see if it works." "I can't do that." (no offer to check with supervisor) I flip to super polite mode to avoid yelling and throttling. I'll just take the Atoms and these Hot Wheel Track packs, please. She rings them up and asks to try the coupon on the Hot Wheels; it fails again. I very politely ask for the coupon back. I get it and leave with the figures. Good customer service, Keyshia G.

The sting of rejection is reduced when I see that the Hot Wheel track packs were 70 cents each! 50 feet of track for $3.50. I plan to launch a Hot Wheels car from my roof into my neighbor's chimney. Or make a JLU scale waterslide park.

Store #4--San Leandro. The soothing balm of the familiar sight of six yellow box 10" Green Arrows, but I already have a bundle of them from the $1.48 Target clearance. I search the toy aisle for 4" figures, after searching all of the yellow carded Zatanna and Steel three-packs, I see that they have two completely full pegs of purple single-carded figures with one Flash and one Wonder Woman on the shelf. The score is the Blue Devil that has fallen behind the other toys below.

I ask the toy department staffer if he has seen any other purple-box figures; he hasn't, but he asks me if I can take a card to the register. It is imprinted with his signature under a barcode; the cashier scans it to tally my customer service moment with Gilbert. It is mandatory.

I buy the Blue Devil and a Flash and Wonder Woman to help keep the toy section cleaner; the pegs are stuffed with Superman and Batman, and Gilbert is really putting in an effort to clean the wrecked toy aisles and help customers. I go to the checkout and skip the coupon this time; the cashier is friendly, as is the heavily tattooed greeter who checks my receipt as I leave.

Conclusions:

The coupon apparently is good for "any" $20 Mattel or FP Toy (not Toys) purchase. Even though the fine print mentions "the product(s) purchased.

If you like to haggle, this is the coupon for you! My guess is that it is for a single purchased Mattel/FP ITEM of $20, which is not clearly specified by the coupon and remains untested in the field. Who knows? It's good until 11/30/07; try it out!