Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any news on the Grodd release?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 am 
Tis' but a pup

Just wondering when and if it will be released? And is this exclusive to any particular store?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:48 am 
5" Scale

It'll be a Target exclusive, and I would expect it to probably start showing up any time now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:12 am 
Former King of Posts

I expect it will be a Christmas season item, meaning I expect it to be on the shelves by Thanksgiving weekend. I also expect it to be the EASIEST to find JLU figure in years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:39 am 
shirtless hugger

superfriend wrote:
I expect it will be a Christmas season item, meaning I expect it to be on the shelves by Thanksgiving weekend. I also expect it to be the EASIEST to find JLU figure in years.

I think it will be easy to find too unless it has the same SKU number as the doomsday 6-pack and the stores get a whole bunch more doomsday packs in just like you can't find the lava reflection set because the old 6-pack had the same SKU number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 am 
Former King of Posts

superfriend wrote:

I should point out, that comment is based upon personal experience. It was easier to get the SDCC 07 Convention exclusive Ray/Shayera pack than anything else shown SDCC 06 forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:10 pm 
5" Scale

bat313 wrote:
I think it will be easy to find too unless it has the same SKU number as the doomsday 6-pack and the stores get a whole bunch more doomsday packs in just like you can't find the lava reflection set because the old 6-pack had the same SKU number.

At Target, they're called DCPI's and not SKU's :wink:

I recall the Doomsday sets being on an endcap last year so that might be the case again this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 am 
my tummy itches

brand42 wrote:
bat313 wrote:

At Target, they're called DCPI's and not SKU's :wink:

And it's DPCI not DCPI :wink: I've had snarky Target employees correct me on that before. It actually stands for: Department Class Item

As for why the P is in there in the first place, I have no clue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:24 am 
Former King of Posts

interesting. i thought everyone used UPC codes. they are on everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:20 am 
shirtless hugger

brand42 wrote:

I recall the Doomsday sets being on an endcap last year so that might be the case again this year.

Here's hoping! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:39 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

superfriend wrote:

Yes they are, but thats the miracle of target, so that unlike every other toy store now-- all associated bar codes are under one DPCI. (I.E) even though every single DCU figure (2 Face, Clayface, Batman, Superman, Braniac etc.) have a different UPC Bar code-- as far as Target is concerned they are all the exact same item-- 087-06-1689 (yes I know that number by heart)-- a DCU Superhero w/ COmic Book (even though the new ones dont have a comic book).... This is both a good and bad system-- it allows for free exchange of other items across brands-- you can buy a new clayface and return a Bizarro purchased on clearance at wal mart back to target and its like getting a Clayface for clearance price--- although I never have done that :roll: (at least with a Clayface). It is also why sometimes a lot of new waves of items get cleranced when they are first put on the shelves--- their UPCs are linked to a similiar DPCI code that is being discontinued (this usually happens alot around January)-- what may occur is when they first put out the DCUC they will probably be placed under that original DPCI number-(which will go on clearance when Mattel Rebrands the line and Target finally issues a DPCI number--- so there is a big chance you will get the Metamorpho wave for a clerance price)..

Case in point -- you can purchase a brand new Star Wars Legends line figure and return a saga figure from last year and the system will accept the return-- because the two still share an active DPCI number and those are what are deactivated in the system-- not the UPC Codes (until the DPCI they are associated with is killed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

superfriend wrote:

To build a little on what stewbacca was saying about Target, Wal-Mart and TRU both use similar systems it's just that those stores print the actual UPC numbers on the receipts in an attempt to keep returns on the up-and-up. All of the stores assign an internal product number to each individual barcode and each individual assortment. I asked the Wal-Mart home office about this once questioning why each item needed a Wal-Mart number when each one had a barcode and pointed out that there were something like 20 different Wal-Mart item numbers for the same barcode (a 20 oz bottle of Coca Cola) and their response was that each WM number was for a different supplier. I know that some items in toys have more than one barcode number depending on how they ship and each UPC would be assigned a different WM number... for example a Star Wars figure in a normal case will have the same UPC number as the ones from normal cases at Target and TRU but that same figure packed in a shelf tray or side-kick rack might have a different barcode unique to that particular packout. The only thing I can think of in toys that kind of bucks this is Jakks WWE figures, apparently each assortment has a single barcode for every figure in it. I'm still not sure if that number changes between waves or if it says the same across waves (IE: does Ruthless Agression 4 have the same UPC as Ruthless Agression 5?), I don't buy many of them anymore since Foley retired... I know that at store level we can only track by assortment and not be individual items. Any lookup about stock of an individual item will give you a total of every item in that assortment (IE: looking up Saga Legends Boba Fett will give you the amount of all Saga Legends in the store, not just Fett... there's no way at store level to find that out without tracking down every figure in the building and manually counting them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:11 am 
Master of the Interwebs

He starting to appear on eBay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:36 am 
Hat Pooper

What country did that Grodd come from? Is he a factory reject or the real deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:21 pm 
5" Scale

"HK$" probably means Hong Kong dollars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:26 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

cowmuf wrote:
What country did that Grodd come from? Is he a factory reject or the real deal?

Definatly Hong Kong, but reject or not this seems to be a pretty good sign that he's been in production recently.