Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DCUC Aquaman
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:15 pm 
An Insider

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to which Aquaman will be easy to find and which will be the chase? It seems to me that I have heard it both ways; that the classic will be the chase and that the modern will be the chase. Which is it?

Also; can anyone who has ordered cases of figures through BBTS before tell me if you got a chase variant in your order? On the site, it says that the 6th figure could be a variant or just a duplicate of one of the other figures in the wave. With wave 2 I am almost certain, my 6th figure will be a second Superman. Does anyone know the odds or at least have an educated guess?

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:43 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Classic Aquaman is the STANDARD figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:03 pm 
An Insider

The Wikipedia (I know, anyone can edit it...) said modern is standard and classic is variant.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:52 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Because this is concerning Aquaman, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog would say, "The correct answer is 'Who gives a s%!$?'"

All kidding aside, at SDCC they told me the classic version is standard, and the modern version is the variant. But that might have been unofficial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:59 pm 
Knows his stuff

that wouldnt make much sense, since the firestorm variant is the classic version and the standard is the modern. i'll check TNI.
okay, the long haired version is the variant. i dont know is thats modern or classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:08 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Tom-Tom wrote:
that wouldnt make much sense, since the firestorm variant is the classic version and the standard is the modern. i'll check TNI.

While it doesnt make sense, it is what it is. Classic Aquaman is the standard figure for this wave and classic firestorm is a variant of this wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:17 pm 
categorically opposed

They're not setting a particular standard as far as which figures will be the standard and which will be chases.

If anything, they're probably gonna try to do an even split between classic and modern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:57 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Unless we're getting a version of Aquaman with his long hair, beard, and hook hand, I could care less...though I sadly have to pick him up to build Grodd....

Oh well, he can be good custom fodder. And on the plus side, I plan on using the TRU Robin figure's head for a custom Vril Dox figure, since we know Mattel won't touch the Lobo property with a ten foot pole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:26 pm 
An Insider

I reeally hope the classic versions are the standard, easy-to-find ones. I don't mind the new ones, but I would prefer the classic costumes in a line with Classic in the title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:27 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

ToyGuru stated the decisions are based on a mixture of things: licensor's request, diversity, and fan demand.

It's my opinion that the new Firestorm was selected as the standard version due to the licensor's preference and to add diversity. DC really wants to push the Jason Rusch Firestorm. Though his comic was cancelled, he's on the JLA now. Remember this is complete conjecture from me.

If there is a large fan demand for the Roy Raymond variant, Mattel will hopefully increase his share of the ratio pie.