Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:45 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Howard the Duck wrote:
As for graphic novels and trades, has anyone mentioned the oversized JLA: Heavens Ladder or that other oversized JLA book which I cannot recall right now? They might really help to bridge the knowledge gap.

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=1397
JLA:Liberty & Justice. I change my vote. THIS is the one book you should give someone if you want them to have a quick overview of the JLA!

I can understand retailers not knowing who Martian Manhunter or the Flash are. I think we fanboys sometimes forget how specific our knowledge is. It's not like superheroes get much exposure. You dont have to follow sports to know who's in the world series...anyone who watches the nightly news or picks up a newspaper can tell you that. But when was the last time a superhero got some press? (probably "Batwoman is gay").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:48 pm 
Former King of Posts

Arsenio3 wrote:
JLA:Liberty & Justice. I change my vote. THIS is the one book you should give someone if you want them to have a quick overview of the JLA!

One of my top choices as well. Bad News. the link shows this is currently out of print. Its companion book, JLA: SECRET ORIGINS, appears to still be available.

Quote:
JLA: SECRET ORIGINS. Written by Paul Dini; Art by Alex Ross. The Justice League is made up of the world's greatest heroes. Over the years, through feature movies, television programs, and various publications, these heroes have transcended the comic book genre to become pop cultural icons. JLA: SECRET ORIGINS is an amazing look back at how these characters originally gained their powers and abilities and became the legendary heroes that they now are. Featuring striking paintings by award-winning artist Alex Ross, this masterpiece contains the origins of some of DC's greatest heroes including Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Green Lantern and the Flash.
I think Plastic Man and Green Arrow get origins as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

superfriend wrote:
Arsenio3 wrote:

One of my top choices as well. Bad News. the link shows this is currently out of print.

Must I do everything around here!?! Fire up the color xerox I've got some copies to make!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:57 pm 
my tummy itches

For such purposes, I would deffinately go with:
Alex Ross' oversized one shot masterpieces JLA: Secret Origins, and JLA: Liberty and Justice. Big, Beautiful, Accesible and concise.
Just thumbing through either book anyone would not only be blown away, but get a pretty good "feel" for the individual characters and the core group.

For more indeapth examples I second many of whats already been mention...
JLA Year One
and the first five collected JLA volumes of Morrison's run, especially
JLA VOL. 1: NEW WORLD ORDER
JLA VOL. 2: AMERICAN DREAMS
JLA VOL. 3: ROCK OF AGES
JLA VOL. 4: STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
JLA VOL. 5: JUSTICE FOR ALL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:00 pm 
Former King of Posts

Arsenio3 wrote:
superfriend wrote:
Arsenio3 wrote:

One of my top choices as well. Bad News. the link shows this is currently out of print.

Must I do everything around here!?! Fire up the color xerox I've got some copies to make!

I think "Out of print" means it cannot be ordered by shops/stores. Copies could exist at stores already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:17 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

For the Morrison era, I'd say "Midsummer's Nightmare", lots of great character moments in there.

JLA: Year One- another great one.
(I am also partial to Secret Origins #32- a single issue, but it was a lot of fun.)

Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:25 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm not going to recommend a comic, I'm going to recommend a "reference" book -- DK's JLA:The Ultimate Guide to the Justice League of America ( http://www.amazon.com/JLA-Ultimate-Just ... 86&sr=1-19 ). I think this might be of more help defining the JLA to someone who only knows Superman and Batman much more than any single comic story could. The book in an overview of all eras of the JLA and the various members who have been part of the team over the years. The book also covers the JLA's enemies and allies.

I know that many of you might not consider this to be a definitive book on the JLA, but for someone who only has a casual knowledge of the group and needs to be "sold" on the concept and characters I think it more than fits the bill...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:48 am 
Former King of Posts

Jim,

I'll agree with you on concept, but this book is so full of inaccuracies about the history of the Justice League it makes me ill. Its so bad in that respect that it completely fell off my radar in terms of existing.

for example, Green Arrow has always been the first new member admitted. This book inaccurately lists the Atom as the first new member admitted.

It is also WAY to centered on the team/stories of the moment it was published. Queen of Fables - who appeared in one 3-issue story and never again as a major named villain?

As the "Ultimate Guide", it lacks terribly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:09 am 
Loose, Missing Package

superfriend wrote:
Jim,

I'll agree with you on concept, but this book is so full of inaccuracies about the history of the Justice League it makes me ill. Its so bad in that respect that it completely fell off my radar in terms of existing.

for example, Green Arrow has always been the first new member admitted. This book inaccurately lists the Atom as the first new member admitted.

It is also WAY to centered on the team/stories of the moment it was published. Queen of Fables - who appeared in one 3-issue story and never again as a major named villain?

I agree that it isn't very accurate and it is out of date (and far from being an "ulitmate guide" as you say), but I still think that as an overview of the team it would be more helpful than a single story would be. TG isn't looking for anything to be used as a thesis reference but something to sell toys... if a buyer flipped through the book and saw pics of the various members beyond the big 3/5 it might help to get them on the pegs....

Is there another book out there like this would be a better choice?... Has DC ever collected the "Who's Who" series? Even after 20 years of changes that would be my next choice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:31 am 
Factory Worker

Let's try:

1) The Greatest JLA Stories ever told TPB

2) Justice League International TPB

3) The Morrisson Run, specially New World Order

4) JLA: Year One

5) JUSTICE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:45 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Jim_Abell wrote:
superfriend wrote:
Jim,

I agree that it isn't very accurate and it is out of date (and far from being an "ulitmate guide" as you say), but I still think that as an overview of the team it would be more helpful than a single story would be. TG isn't looking for anything to be used as a thesis reference but something to sell toys... if a buyer flipped through the book and saw pics of the various members beyond the big 3/5 it might help to get them on the pegs....

Is there another book out there like this would be a better choice?... Has DC ever collected the "Who's Who" series? Even after 20 years of changes that would be my next choice...

I think Jim is on to something. The Morrison stuff just doesn't feel like the definitive Justice League material to me--especially for the purpose of this thread.

Superfly's suggestion of JLA 200 is a great one too. Is that reprinted in any trade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:16 am 
Former King of Posts

The Guide just irks me so much. Its title sugests that it is the be all and end all of JL knowledge and it just falls so short.

The piece of JL history it highlights in terms of membership, villains, and stories is the brief Mark Waid run from JLA 43 thru 60, roughly 2001. The team only has 8 members. Several characters who were members right up thru issue 42 are listed as allies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:30 am 
Former King of Posts

So what would be the major criteria for this?

possible criteria
1. Show that Batman and Superman are on the team.
2. Show that they are a group of heroes that use teamwork to solve a great problem.
3. Showcase enough of each hero to give a flair for what their basic appearance is and basic powers are.
4. Show that there is a core team.
5. Show that the membership changes.

Hasbro felt there was enough value in the name JLA that they rebranded their Total Justice line as "JLA".

An alternate option would be to provide the vendors with DVDs of the JLA in animated form.
1. Superfriends Vol 1 shows the Justice League vs the Legion of Doom. There is a DVD with a collection of just 4 episodes as well.
2. The first arc of the recent Justice League cartoon starts with Bats and Supes and then brings in the other heroes. It is available by itself on DVD too. Saw a used copy last week at a store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:56 am 
Former King of Posts

The more I think about this, the more my mind changes.

How do we show that the JLA:
is Superman and Batman as part of a larger team?
means Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman?
plus Hawkman, Plastic Man, Shazam?
and beyond them,
Green Arrow, Black Canary, Atom, Zatanna, Steel, Firestorm, Black Lightning or any number of secondary characters like Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Mister Miracle?

Simple, we can't show all that in any existing framework. They never all appeared together. The best we can do is show one era, like JLA: New World Order, and then say, "There are other heroes who have come and gone over the years."

There is a GREAT poster that Alex Ross did with about 20 heroes on it. Maybe Toy Guru could get a hold of a bunch of those and distribute them along with the comic he chooses.

Aafter getting to the page, click on the picture for a larger version.
http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=3 ... %3B+PRINTS

Here are some others:

Note, not all the characters in this pic ended up in or were ever in the JLA.
They are 'candidates' for the new league which started in 2006.
http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=6 ... %3B+PRINTS

These are the team that ended up being in the new JLA book.
http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=8 ... %3B+PRINTS

Last edited by superfriend on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:00 am 
Infinite Hero

Good heavens, SF. You are way overthinking this...

J

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/