Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel's "DC branding of the isles"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:27 am 
Former King of Posts

My Walmart has NO DC product. No DCSH. No JLU. No Superfriends. No The Batman. My Target has a very small sampling of each of those lines. My TRU is the same. Makes me wonder how the idea of 'branding' sections of the isles as DC stuff is going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:41 am 
Joint Unfreezer

You live in my general area and the WalMart does have DC Super Friends in the Play School aisle. The only JLU 3 packs I seen there were discounted because they were so freakin old that nobody wanted them. It was the Vixen, Hawkgirl, ? 3 pack. They did sell the DC 6" figures for a time too. I don't look down that aisle anymore seeing as there is no new Wonder Woman product and WalMart hasen't had any 10" JLU figures in years and the only one I want now is the caped WW. I don't see DC branding happening any time soon at WalMart. Target and Toys R Us YES but WallyWorl...NO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:01 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm pretty sure the branding was to be in effect next year. At least, that's how it sounded at Comic Con.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:30 am 
Former King of Posts

wws1fan wrote:
You live in my general area and the WalMart does have DC Super Friends in the Play School aisle.

I've given up on Walmart at this point that I actually forgot there was another one. You are talking about the one in Warwick at the RI Mall. Just not worth the trip inside even when at TRU or Toy Vault which are literally a stone's throw away.

I was talking about the new Super one in Coventry which I drive by every day. I don't check there often either. I was there when they cracked a case of DCSH with Steel and Parasite back when they first came out. Now they don't have a single peg for DC stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:43 am 
Damage Control

Ya, none of my stores have any DC stuff either. But there sure are a ton of HMLs and crappy SM3 figures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:08 am 
ABS

stcardinal wrote:
Ya, none of my stores have any DC stuff either. But there sure are a ton of HMLs and crappy SM3 figures!

Same here in Michigan. I stopped going. Meijier too...They only have Supes, Luthor, and more Supes. Plus the crappy Hasbro Legends that no one wants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:57 pm 
Factory Worker

unfortunately, mattel's case ratio mistakes have pretty much killed all DC lines. hopefully the new DCU line revives it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm 
Prototype

Azrael24 wrote:
unfortunately, mattel's case ratio mistakes have pretty much killed all DC lines. hopefully the new DCU line revives it

I think it will. The case ratios there seem like they're going to be pretty even.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:07 pm 
5th Horseman

I'm pretty sure the aisle branding was part of the deal that kicks up in 2008 and retailers, even Walmart, would be foolish not to take Mattel up on it. If it doesn't sell then it's Mattel's cost.

The BAF will guarantee more even packouts. If this line is ruined by case ratios then Mattel should leave the action figure industry altogether!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:53 am 
Damage Control

ditko wrote:
I'm pretty sure the aisle branding was part of the deal that kicks up in 2008 and retailers, even Walmart, would be foolish not to take Mattel up on it. If it doesn't sell then it's Mattel's cost.

The BAF will guarantee more even packouts. If this line is ruined by case ratios then Mattel should leave the action figure industry altogether!

I have a feeling Mattel will screw it up anyway. Didn't they say they were going to release the two crappy Superman blue/red as 50-50 while the others such as modern/classic firestorm was going to be hard to find?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:45 am 
5th Horseman

Quote:
I have a feeling Mattel will screw it up anyway. Didn't they say they were going to release the two crappy Superman blue/red as 50-50 while the others such as modern/classic firestorm was going to be hard to find?

Yes, but I think that works well for Supes and Firestorm might not be the best % but we haven't even seen any of these hit yet. To be fair, ANY version of Firestorm is a good one compared to more Bat/Supes Waves. Mattel spent the loot on the license and the packaging is very nice and collector oriented. They would really have to screw up to not be successful. A case of six will HAVE to have the same of everyone with one extra to include the BAF. I'm expecting it to be like HML.....only better toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

To be fair, Mattel has commented in one of their Q&As that they are tweaking the DCUC variant ratio based on fan uproar.

Now, there's been no proof yet so they could just be blowing smoke up our corn chutes...but one can only hope.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:58 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I'm not too worried about finding DC classic figures. Mattel is going all out on them and since they are using BAF, they figures have to be available or else fan will burn down Mattel HQ.

Its the variants that people should be concentrating on. I those are going to very hard to find, no matter what Mattel says. Hopefully, they are borrowing pages from Marvel Legends. Not the greatest figures, but I can honestly say that I've seen variants and hard to find figures at regular stores.