Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How would you improve the JLU line?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:13 am 
Damage Control

Hey Toy Guru and the others on the Mattel side, just a few suggestions to talk about in your morning meetings

1-online collectors club

For those that are tired of searching for htf figures and trying to satisfy the retailers that have no faith. Have faith in the fans and see where it goes. Offer up individual characters and 3 packs or even 2 packs, plenty of online retailers that are willing to support you.

2-fan's choice

I know there is more coming, but hey, have some fun with it, I wouldnt mind seeing fans submit an unknown in the DC animated universe or even a totally made up hero and villain.

3-Less Trinity and More Variety and by that, I mean more Bad Guys.

I recently filled up 3 shelves of JLU heroes vs 1 shelf of Legion of Doom villains, really, gotta get more bad guys.

4-Episode based packs

TASK FORCE X comes immediately to mind. Other one shots could be done as well, all that is required is probably a new head sculpt. The Legion of Superheroes would be cool as well. I know the new show is on but hey, I gotta ask. Flash's Rogue's gallery with Captain Cold, the Trickster, the Mirror Master and Boomerang.

5-Ever thought of doing Marvel characters or Indy comic characters to keep the line going? I thought it would be interesting.

6-Display backgrounds and checklist poster. I saw the one poster but it is really difficult to get one's hands on it. Im kinda surprised, I was thinking a KINGDOM COME look woudl have been pretty cool, but hey that's just me.

7-If the whole DC universe is up for grabs, I say let the fun begin, let's include vertigo, Perez TEEN TITANS, Elseworlds, OH manoman, dont get me started. All of these and more in the DCAU form would be epic.

Feel free to add to the list of suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:16 am 
Damage Control

ps If Mattel is going to continue putting out the TRINITY packs, make it interesting and change the look to DC ONE MILLION or Victorian era Trinity or maybe JLU BEYOND. Im all for re-using the molds, but let's really have fun with it.

Post subject: Re: How would you improve the JLU line?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:28 am 
categorically opposed

TRISTAN wrote:
5-Ever thought of doing Marvel characters or Indy comic characters to keep the line going? I thought it would be interesting.

You're aware that they don't have the rights to Marvel, and they'll not get them for quite some time, if ever, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:50 am 
Damage Control

Im aware they dont have the rights, but it cant hurt to ask to see if it can be put on the menu. With the straight to dvd releases, there is no reason to believe that Mattel cannot pursue the license for the future. Lego keeps re-using the same pieces but in different formats, this is no different. The Timm animated universe could easily welcome Marvel and other characters. My point is that it is a way to keep the line going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:23 am 
serves the Otter

I like most of your ideas, Tristan...those could really add some vitality to the line.

Of course at this point, we'd just like to see some breath of life. A blip on the EKG. A twitching, stirring of the corpse that's the current state of the JLU line.

Honestly, I'd be satisfied after getting Miracle, Fire & Ice and Grodd.

But if there is a future for this line, I think your ideas have some interesting directions for Mattel to pursue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:08 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

TRISTAN wrote:
Im aware they dont have the rights, but it cant hurt to ask to see if it can be put on the menu. With the straight to dvd releases, there is no reason to believe that Mattel cannot pursue the license for the future. Lego keeps re-using the same pieces but in different formats, this is no different. The Timm animated universe could easily welcome Marvel and other characters. My point is that it is a way to keep the line going.

I think that the concentration should be on the 3,000+ characters they now *can* produce (a whopping zero of which have arrived at retail) and not on the ones that they cannot pursue for another 10 years.

Not to be an ass an jump on your point (hey, I'd love for ALL characters to come out in animated style), but I think it's a waste of time right now. In another 7-8 years? Sure, then they might want to look at getting the license.

Also, nothing in their distribution & marketing suggests they could even handle it. Look at the problems that have plagued DCSH, JLU, The Batman, etc.

I think that effort should be made to encourage Hasbro to do a budget animated line for the Marvel characters to get the figures in the hands of kids.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:33 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

TRISTAN wrote:

Well I could turn this into a giant rip post-- but heres the thing-- Hasbro Just bought the rights to produce all things as of 2007- and with marvel and with their constant movie line up -- there is no way in the world they are going to give that up any time in the next 5-10 years... Mattel will not get the rights to produce anything Marvel-- and why would Marvel ever do that-- yes the toys arent selling like Hasbro thought but there is almost 40 ft. solid or Marvel branded characters at every store-- while the D.C. presence is a blimp on the radar on every retail store due to the lousy distribution and non retailer support.. Mattel would probably have to offer at least double what Hasbro is paying just to even get a glance at from Marvel.

And honestly as a buisness decision Marvel would never want to get invloved to save a line of figures that brings the competitions characters into the mainstream kid focus--- or collectors for that matter-- they could just convince Hasbro to start their own line up of similiar product.

Look at the upcoming Battle Figure line for D.C.- its not like Hasbro went looking for the rights to make D.C. figs for the Attacktix line--
and on that note-- once again Mattel is producing a line one year after the whole craze has died down-- and they will once again push another line down retailers throats that will pegwarm and sour the retailers more on any Mattel D.C. product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:15 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I would make the original 5POA line-up, no more articulated figures so they all would match.

I would give some flying figures like Superman, an articulated neck so he could look up.

Case ratios would be evenly packed. I would simply put an original JL guy 1 per pack and make 2 figures the standard. Batman/Shining Knight/Entrigan for example.

I would go beyond the cartoon. Firestorm, Cyborg, Plastic Man, New Blue Beetle, Omac, etc etc

Create special waves, like "Villians United!" or "Apocalypse Now!" with 1 hero and 2 villians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:22 am 
An Insider

Good ideas Tristan. Way to think long term and just have fun. I love it when the boards are jes' good ole'-fashioned fun!

I say, let's see some new body types; a fat lady (for Granny and Amanda) A big gal (Giganta, Barda) and a big man (Atom Smasher) just for starters.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:31 am 
Damage Control

Thanks guys, not for nothing but I do appreciate the different perspectives. I know nothing of how tied up Marvel is with Hasbro, should they hit the Animated Universe style, I know Id be there in a flash.
Like I said before, just suggestions, what happens to them after that is thier own fate. I agree that Mattel has been late in bringing out new stuff and its kinda killing them, I had hoped the whole lead paint issue would be a kick in the pants to do a shakedown of sorts and start gearing up for christmas. Hasbro has alot of Marvel stuff out there that is just hogging the aisles. Im not up to snuff as to who has what for how long, just figured I would throw it out there. If there ever is a Marvel Animated Universe line-and Timm has done quite a bit of Marvel versions of Heroes and villains, I know I would definately pick up this line.

With New Frontier coming to dvd, Im hoping we see figures that are in scale with the JLU line. That would totally kick ass.

I like the idea of the ball jointed neck, easy customs and more fun withe the poses. The superman would rock if they could just get him to look up.

Hey Chip, no worries, I didnt know there were over 3,000 characters but hey, you would know better than I would. I hope Mattel gives the distrubition section a serious overhaul. Marvel has a huge selection of mini statues that just scream make me an animated figure instead, the only line that I see that has variety and consistency is the MINIMATES. They actually have a Hero and Villain packed together or at least most of them do and Marvel and DC are in the same scale, kinda makes you wonder why we cant have the best of both worlds eh? yeah I know, its licensing. :D

I hear you Robiwan, I wouldnt mind seeing Amanda or Granny myself, would definately be something different. Wonder if they would do a CADMUS soldier-aka Superman Metro P.D. or APokolips Parademon for army building, that woudl be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:42 am 
PVC

The best thing Mattel could do would be to make the 3-pack cases the way they used to be: Three new 3-packs per case, 2 of each.
Nobody had much problem finding the 3-packs then.

-Seth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:15 am 
Factory Worker

Improve distribution and case ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:38 am 
Prototype

More bad guys and civilians is what I want:

Captain Cold, Killer Frost, The Key, Giganta, Cheetah, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:09 am 
Dog Squeezer

More villians, more 6 pack set (groups or episode related),
better case ratios and surprise us every once in awhile with vehicles and base sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 am 
Hat Pooper

Just give me The Question before the line folds.