Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which Mattel DC line excites you the most?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:58 pm 
Hat Pooper

Now that there's going to be more DC product than ever on the shelves, which of the many lines are you most taken with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:44 am 
serves the Otter

Whoa, that was hard. A few months ago I would've said JLU in a heartbeat. But with the lack of JLU news, I shifted my attention to actually collecting DCSH S3 figures- as opposed to just having a few. But thinking about it more, I'd say I'm still more eagerly anticipating the JLUs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:10 am 
Hat Pooper

I really wanted to be excited about the DCUC figures, but the more I look at them, I realise they just don't have the style or charm of the Bruce Timm designs. They just look generic.

I'll probably collect my favourite characters from DCUC while the JLU line stays alive, but once JLU folds, I think I'm done with Mattel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:21 am 
Knows his stuff

DCUC. you cant beat the horsemen's sculpting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:25 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

DCUC. There is no competition here. These are first REAL DC action figures to come along in a long, long time. I love JLU and all the Timm shows to death but the character design and figure style adn scale does not cut it for me. JLU has character selection going for it and that is about all. I like my figures comic-based anyhow. Don't even get me started on DCD.

DCUC= wave of the future and I have not been so excited for the inception of an action figure line since the start of ML.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:01 am 
Hat Pooper

If there was no competition, JLU wouldn't be winning this poll. Your personal preferences don't make all other opinions invalid.

I have to say I'm a big fan of the DC Superheroes Clayface, but that figure is largely inspired by the Timm depiction of the character. I think I'd like DCUC a lot more if the figures were based on the designs of a single artist (like Lee or Cooke), but the need to make them look as generic as possible leaves them with no soul.

Last edited by cowmuf on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:03 am 
serves the Otter

I'm excited about DCUC too. But if all five of those lines were running concurrently, I've gotta say, I'd be most excited--most eagerly anticipating and most desperately hunting--JLU. I like the uniform design, I like the scale, I like the kid-friendliness of them. And although there are certainly things I don't like about the JLU line, I'd take those problems over what are sure to be problems in the wings of the new line.

Go JLU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:04 am 
PVC

VanillaBlue wrote:
DCUC= wave of the future and I have not been so excited for the inception of an action figure line since the start of ML.

QFT. It gets me excited the way I use to be about ML.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:07 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

cowmuf wrote:
If there was no competition, JLU wouldn't be winning this poll. Your personal preference doesn't make other styles invalid.

There is no competition FOR ME. The question asks which line makes me the most excited. None of the others come close. You can like whatever you want. I am glad you like JLU, but it is not for me. I wasn't dissing you or your preference, I was speaking only for myself. Don't get excited.

Also, consider the overall demographic here- this is THE place to talk JLU on the internet, at least in my opinion. The rest of the lines have their fans here but JLU is king. It should win this poll simply from the sampling. If this was taken on a board aimed at minifigs or super-posable figures, the outcome might be different. I am not discounting anything but perspective needs to be kept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:20 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Why are people voting for JLU? There's been zero evidence the line is continuing beyond the end of 2007.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:30 am 
The Last Word

VanillaBlue wrote:
I like my figures comic-based anyhow. Don't even get me started on DCD.

I'll take DC Direct's comic style figures over anything Mattel has shown thus far any day of the week. DCSH/DCUC does nothing for me. Well, it bores me, but that's all it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:36 am 
An Insider

DCUC fo' sho'! Still love JLU though!

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:56 am 
Hat Pooper

I have to say that for me it is a three way tie.

JLU - I always look forward to these figures due to variation and the possibilities for more characters.

SUPERFRIENDS - I can't wait till I see a WonderWoman and Darkseid. (DC puts Darkseid in all their lines except Batman)

Batman - This line version o Hawkman, GL (Hal Jordan) and Flash will be so cool. Only complaint; more villians.

The DC Classic line I will have to wait and see. I had an Azeral figure that broke when my kids play with it. I was able to put it back together but I put them inthe same categories with DC Direct, neat to look at but not fun to play with. JLU, Batman, and Superfriends do not suffer from this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:06 am 
Factory Worker

marillion wrote:
Why are people voting for JLU? There's been zero evidence the line is continuing beyond the end of 2007.

Peace,

Chip

mostly to show mattel that i prefer for them to give us JLU figures over DCU figures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:28 am 
Joint Unfreezer

I chose DCUC over JLU anyday. I like JLU but like DCUC more. Don't get me started on DCD,most of there "artist specific" figures look nothing like the way they are drawn. The scale is completely out of wack,and the paint apps on most look like a 4yr old finger painted them. If you like DCD more power to you but DCD bores me.