Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Would anyone else be content/relieved if JLU/DCAU is DONE?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:47 pm 
Knows his stuff

I think I would. I've been looking forward to Fire, Ice, and Mister Miracle for a long time now (especially as a JLI fan from back in the day), and I even avoided buying Darkseid and Orion in anticipation of getting them in the 3-pack with Mister M. I will be royally disappointed if they never come out, but I feel confident that they will, one way or another.

However, beyond that, if the JLU/DCAU line does not continue further, I won't lose any sleep. I'll be okay with that. I'll have a good collection, and I'm not even a completist! I sold a few rare figures that I didn't care about much, and skipped several others (including all the large villains). As much as I would like Question and Captain Atom, their status in the future of this line has always been iffy due to the Charlton legal issues, and the only other characters I would want didn't even appear in the JLU cartoon -- Jack Knight, Blue Beetle II, Catman, John Constantine. I'd be stunned if Mattel ever made them anyway. I was never into the jobber villains from the cartoon (although it seems like everyone else is), so I wouldn't even bother with that creepy version of Toyman if he ever came out, or Atomic Skull (can you get any more generic?), or any of the others.

So that's where I stand. I'd love to hear some good news about the line continuing, but even then, that isn't a guarantee I'd want any of the newer offerings. Give me those last few figures we've already seen, and I'll give Mattel a virtual pat on the back for a job well done and walk away quietly. It was a good run, better than anyone else ever thought during those first few years of Justice League (non-Unlimited) figures. Is anyone else this laid-back about the future of JLU/DCAU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:35 pm 
serves the Otter

Quote:
Would anyone else be content/relieved if JLU/DCAU is DONE?

Nope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:44 pm 
categorically opposed

I would, too, Lou.

Toy lines end all the time. BTAS, Superman: Man of Steel, Total Justice, the 5" X-Men, X-Men Classics, Fantastic 4 Classics, the original TMNT.

It's the natural cycle.

It can't go on forever, and in the run that it did have, it produced an almost unthinkable amount of figures. Granted, there are very few of them that can stand on their own, and many feature inaccurate paintjobs (Booster Gold, Lightray, Dr. Fate), average sculpting (Black Canary and Vixen's heads), and prominent scale issues (Big Barda, Green Arrow, Superman) - but the line still managed to pump out more unique characters than any other mass-market DC-based line ever.

Not much to be sad about, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:49 pm 
Cold-cast

Absolutely. The JLU series is over and gone. An action figure line based on it is a waist of resources (for both company and consumer). Sure they were great when they were the only game in town, but we're getting DCUC now. Superior figures at a better scale, but without most of the restrictions JLU worked under.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:17 pm 
serves the Otter

You guys do realize that Mattel reads the boards? They can very well gauge fan interest or disinterest. Now while maybe I'd be able to accept the 'end' of JLU. I'd still say that if new stuff come out, i'm definitely buying.

Post subject: Re: Would anyone else be content/relieved if JLU/DCAU is DON
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:19 pm 
The Last Word

Big Bad Voodoo Lou wrote:
Is anyone else this laid-back about the future of JLU/DCAU?

Absolutely. If we've seen the last of the DCAU, I am perfectly content to spend my money on G.I. Joe, DC Direct, and plenty of other comic, movie, and animation lines not produced by Mattel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:20 pm 
3 3/4"

Toy lines do end, but I have two words for you all: STAR WARS. Collect that if you want to be happy and always have something to buy.

And, JLU will hopefully not end, these figures are awesome....Mattel just needs to figure out how to get them in our hands!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:56 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

If JLU/DCAU ends, then I'll be ticked off.

So, to answer the question...hell no! Mattel, don't confuse fan frustration with fan disinterest. We want more JLU, dammit! :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:26 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
All you people who don't care if the line ends should keep it to yourself, just because you don't want JLU anymore doesn't mean other don't, (don't ruin it for everybody else, now i doubt mattel will even listen to you, i still think it would be great for you negative people to keep to yourselves)
savvy?

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:32 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Those who answer yes are certainly entitled to their opinion lol. The posts are very funny. Mattel reps have repeatedly said the line isn't over. Yes, I know they have said that for a while, but until they say otherwise I'll hold out hope.

Oh yeah, so I'm not accused of being completely off topic: NO I would not be relieved.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:34 pm 
shirtless hugger

Dusty wrote:
All you people who don't care if the line ends should keep it to yourself, just because you don't want JLU anymore doesn't mean other don't, (don't ruin it for everybody else, now i doubt mattel will even listen to you, i still think it would be great for you negative people to keep to yourselves)
savvy?

D.

Come on now, collecting this line has lost some of its fun for some of us. I personally won't care if the line ends, but that's becuse it feels like it already has. If the figures start hitting stores again I'll continue collecting, but the incredible lapse in new products has killed my completist enthusiasm.

Folks are entitled to their opinions Dusty, even if you disagree. If five people (counting me) stating that they'd be relieved if JLU was done ruins the line (Did you mean that we're ruining the line? That's the idea I got from your post.) for you, you didn't have that much dedication left anyway.

So the big message to Mattel from me is: I'd be relieved if the line ended after Mr Miracle, Fire, Ice, Grodd, and the Red Hood hit stores... But I'd be ecstatic if you revamped the line and kept making new figures. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:40 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I only care about and collect JLU, as far as I'm concerned, Mattel can take DCUC and shove those expensive over-articulated pieces of plastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:09 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Arrakhat wrote:
Folks are entitled to their opinions Dusty, even if you disagree. If five people (counting me) stating that they'd be relieved if JLU was done ruins the line (Did you mean that we're ruining the line? That's the idea I got from your post.) for you, you didn't have that much dedication left anyway.

It's a good thing i said they can't state their opinion, :roll: and man you're right i didn't have that much dedication to this line left anyway, i must come to this forum to talk about my feelings, i mean what other reason would i be here? :roll: this forum is for folks who like DCSH and JLU, if people are just gonna come around and post things like "Mattel stop making JLU" or "I don't care for the JLU line" they should just go somewhere else, I'm all for people stating their opinions, but like you said i don't have to agree with them, which i stated in my post.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:20 pm 
shirtless hugger

Dusty wrote:
It's a good thing i said they can't state their opinion, :roll:

You said that if we don't care if the line ends, we should keep it to ourselves. Yep, you told us not to express our opinions, plain and simple. If you can express your positive opinions, why shouldn't others be allowed to express their negative opinions?

Quote:
and man you're right i didn't have that much dedication to this line left anyway, i must come to this forum to talk about my feelings, i mean what other reason would i be here? :roll:

If others posting their opinons "ruins" it for you, then you need to grow up and really dedicate yourself to the line. It seems to me that the reason you come to the forum is to attack others for expressing their thoughts (or at least in cases where others dare to have views on JLU that oppose yours).

Quote:
this forum is for folks who like JLU, if people are just gonna come around and post things like "Mattel stop making JLU" or "I don't care for the JLU line" they should just go somewhere else, I'm all for people stating their opinions, but like you said i don't have to agree with them, which i stated in my post.

D.

If you're all for people stating their opinions, you wouldn't tell them not to share their opinions in the same sentence. Besides, this board is not the "forum for folks who like JLU." This is the Mattel forum, which covers several toy lines and allows people to express their views, both positive and negative, on the toy lines.

Guess what? Not everyone is going to agree with you in life. You can't just silence anyone who disagrees with you. If you want to start a thread to support JLU and Mattel's efforts, go ahead. It's your right, and I'd even post there to support you. But don't tell us we can't express opinions just because they're negative, savvy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:44 pm 
Former King of Posts

JLU is over.
Miracle, Fire, Ice, Grodd are the last of this line.

No way will it still have the same name when the next animated pieces are announced.

Looking forward to the NEW DC Animated line.