Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:25 pm 
shirtless hugger

Caped Crusader wrote:
Arrakhat wrote:
Are you really going to tell me that without comics these figures would sell as well as they do? I never said that comics account for the whole success, but to deny any contribution the comics provide is ridiculous.

Citing a "strong comic base" in the first place is what was ridiculous. Look, there are at least as many people buying DCAU sets on DVD as there are buying any particular comic title every month, let alone everyone who watched the episodes when they aired or downloaded them illegally. Comic books introduced a lot of adult collectors to superheroes, but they don't drive the sales of Marvel Legends, and Spider-Man Classics never would have relaunched in 2003 without the success of the film.

Wait, Spider-man Classics needed the movie to succeed? That would mean it required some sort of visual media, just like I've said the JLU line needs visual media for it to continue. In your case, visual media (the Spider-man movies) pushed the line through and saved it (according to you), so why doesn't JLU need visual media? Yes it has the cartoon reruns, but Spider-man has long had the reruns of the older TV series. You just agreed with my intial point, JLU needs its titular show (or a movie).

Quote:
Arrakhat wrote:
Superman and Batman have tons of support, no doubt. How about folks like Vigilante, Brainiac, and Obsidian? To the casual mom or child merely looking for figures, characters such as those are probably a harder sell. Obviously being in the same line as Superman and Batman helps, but there's a difference between the heroes and the Transformers/Joes. As a youth I only wanted Batman and his supporting cast because I saw the TV show. Other heroes aren't necessarily linked to Batman since he can stand alone, and I didn't care for them. Joes and Transformers, however, are reliant on one another.

No more so than superheroes. Look, I was into obscure STAR WARS, DC, G.I. Joe, and Transformers characters as a kid. I wanted all the villains in the Super Powers line. There, now we've both posted our personal experiences, neither of which is the least bit scientific or relevant.

What you posted was irrelevant. My point was that Batman can stand alone from folks like Plastic Man and Orion, while Duke needs the other GI Joes because GI Joes is strictly a team, not several independent heroes tossed into a line together. One can collect Batman characters without the other heroes, but GI Joes are all very tightly knit.

Quote:
Arrakhat wrote:
Because Mattel's comments gave the impression that they've already given the pitch. You only need to look around this board to see that.

Please show me where a Mattel spokesperson has said retailers have seen the pitch for a DC Animated Universe line.

I said that Mattel's commetns gave the impression, not that they stated so implicitly. If you want evidence of that impression, look around the boards. The prevailing question isn't "When does Mattel give their JLU pitch," it's "Why won't the retailers pick up JLU?"

Quote:
Arrakhat wrote:
That was because Chip purposely quoted only parts of my post in order to make a point. I can't stand when people take my comments out of context to make points, can you?

I think Chip's account of what happened is perfectly accurate.

Congatulations, but your misconceptions aren't fact. He argued with a hypothetical question and exaggeration, but I got impression he was arguing with my actual point. Clearly I was mistaken, but I couldn't have known that initially.

Quote:
Arrakhat wrote:
If you want to make points when I'm wrong (like on the demographics), fine, but don't tell me how I asked a question.

I also think it's hilarious that you're giving me orders. :lol:

Telling you not to put words into my mouth or tell me what I mean is hilarious? I'm not getting the joke. I think it's amusing and ironic that you preach about being condescending, yet I can't recall you arguing with anyone in a respectful manner. From what I've seen your posts drip with sarcasm and a sense of superiority when you argue with others. I feel like I should say something about a pot calling the kettle, considering how you've railed against me for being condescending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:08 pm 
Cold-cast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:16 pm 
Former King of Posts

MOD

Ripping apart what someone else has said and asking them to defend each point is an old trick on forums. I've seen it before elsewhere.

I'd rather it did NOT happen at AFI.

you guys have gone beyond discussing the topic into personal attacks.

CLOSED

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6