Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm 
Knows his stuff

I think the Sinestro modern variant is popular enought to warrant a 50/50 split. I would also like to see the Slade variant get a favorable 70/30 ratio, no worse. I am definitely buying both so long as I can find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:01 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I second that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:06 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

darkknight41 wrote:
please Mattel make it a little easier to find than modern Red Tornado, :( I have bought 7 cases so far and not one modern Red Tornado, :( c'mon, give us a little break :wink:

They're probably doing the variants like Hasbro does with Star Wars -- so much of the run is one variant then the production shifts to the other variant so that the inital cases get one version and later cases get the other. That seems to be how the Bane and Steel variants hit before...

BTW, who else (well, characters with a history...) is in the Sinestro Corps beside Sinestro and Cyborg Superman? Perhaps we could get a box set of SC repaints some day?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:14 pm 
shirtless hugger

Jim_Abell wrote:
darkknight41 wrote:
please Mattel make it a little easier to find than modern Red Tornado, :( I have bought 7 cases so far and not one modern Red Tornado, :( c'mon, give us a little break :wink:

They're probably doing the variants like Hasbro does with Star Wars -- so much of the run is one variant then the production shifts to the other variant so that the inital cases get one version and later cases get the other. That seems to be how the Bane and Steel variants hit before...

BTW, who else (well, characters with a history...) is in the Sinestro Corps beside Sinestro and Cyborg Superman? Perhaps we could get a box set of SC repaints some day?...

Superman Prime. That's the only other character who comes to mind besides the Anti-Moniter, who is kinda big. Abin Sur's son, I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:04 pm 
3 3/4"

Id like a SC Cyborg too-in fact it would make a sensible variant that would fit in better in the DCU shelf of Villiany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:39 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Isn't there anyone else who is upset by the "these are going to be chase figures, not cased out like the supposedly even Superman Blue/Red" line?

That line alone is making me question whether or not I should even bother with this line. For so long, so many people on this board have been slamming Mattel (myself too on occasion) for not getting the JLU figures into collectors hands via poor distribution. Now they basically openly admit that "we're sorry, only SOME of you will actually get this figure at retail. Good luck running around trying to find one."

I have to say that with the new year, comes some new, hard choices. I truly believe that the DCUC by Mattel is the line I have been longing for to get my DC figure fix. So much so that I was seriously considering dropping DCD (except for the odd release such as 'New Frontier'). But now having been told very simply that the figures that I want just simply won't be made available I have to question if it is worth it to even get started. For me, why bother trying to collect a line if I know going in that I will miss out on figures (unless I am willing and able to fork out big bucks on eBay [I am neither willing nor able]) simply because the company has made a CONSCIOUS DECISION TO MAKE THEM SCARCE??? At least with DCD I know that I will NEVER have a difficult time acquiring a figure. If I want it I simply tell my LCS owner/manager to put it in my hold bin and I pick it up next time I'm in the store (I guess I am fortunate that he stocks heavily enough on figures that I don't ever have to pre-order in fear of missing out.)

Now I know that many of you will counter with "why not just pre-order/order cases of figures online? The convenience of not running around more than justifies the slightly higher than normal price and cost of shipping."

Honestly, to me, no it doesn't. Why should I be forced to buy a CASE of figures (that won't guarantee me getting a particular variant or chase) when I don't necessarily want an entire wave (in many cases I do want the full set but that is not always true). Why should I be forced to pay for shipping and handling fees, slight upcharges over retail on a full case, or collector's mark up when I am only trying to get one figure.

I gave into this once before based on the recommendation of so many here on the board. I did it for Clayface and Catwoman. I bought a FULL CASE of figures for the TWO that i wanted. Everyone here said, "don't worry, you can simply sell off the rest or trade them here to other collectors. Guess what? I tried that and I am STILL STUCK WITH FIGURES THAT I NEVER WANTED. All so that I could get the 2 that I did. (and later finding the clayface a bunch of times locally really just reinforces the slight I feel for succumbing to buying a case in the first place.)

So, while I LOVE the two variant figures, I SIMPLY HATE the fact that they are CHASE figures and that Mattel would decide to make it that much harder for any of us to get their product into our homes after the past year of so many of us complaining over that very issue.

What will I decide to do ultimately? Not sure yet. Still haven't seen DCUC Wave 1 at retail, right now not really sure if I care or not. Went to Target every day this week watching the resets only to see an aisle that is jam packed with new toys EXCEPT for the 3 pegs where DCUC is supposed to hang (I saw antoher 4 Mr. Miracle packs again today, still no Fire/Ice, no the Batman GL, Hawkman, Supes, Flash, or MM, Super Friends Cyborg or Hawkman). Maybe when I walk down the aisle of Target next Monday and see the figures staring me in the face all this will simply go away, maybe not. Won't know until it happens.

Maybe now is a good time to get out. The hobby is more frustrating that fun and that money could spoil my son something rotten.

Something to think about in the least.

Boy, do I HATE CHASE figures!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:32 am 
Fugitive Dust

I think it sucks that Sinestro will be a chase, I want both costumes.

Now I have to cross my fingers that the case I ordered has the chase version of Sinestro in it because buying a regular Sinestro seperately later will be a lot cheaper.

I think chase figures should have minor differences, not a completely new outfit. :x

I wonder if enough of us complain Mattel might change their stance on Sinestro Corps Sinestro and make him a little easier to find than it sounds like it will be?

Oh well, still love this line though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:55 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Variants always suck.

What I don't get is why Mattel would even bother. They're already doing the 50/50 split thing with some characters. Let's all just hope that the split on the true variants isn't something assinine like 20/80 or some crap like that.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:59 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Toy Guru has said that the variants will be packed in different ratios. Some may be 90/10, others 80/20 and some might be 70/30 and so on. Right now we still don't know how hard these variants are actually going to be to come by. I know that both versions of Steel were pretty common around these parts (much more so than many of the non-variant characters) but Bane with Osito was nearly impossible to find (yet I did find one on the pegs but never saw Azrael or Cassie Batgirl). I think a lot of this is really going to depend on sell-through and replenishment but still some stores could end up with unintentional exclusive variants depending on how many cases they order compared to other retailers and when their cases ship in relation to the others... I know that it's been said that some of the variant ratios have been tweaked and I'm hoping that there will be no ratios worst than 70/30. I don't see the "chase" part of the equation going away as retailers like them to keep customers coming back but it's really gotten to be ridiculous the way some lines handle them. I think the thing we really need to beg for is for TG to keep us informed and not guessing as to which versions are the chase and what sort of ratios they're being packed in -- we don't need to know exact numbers, but percentages would be awfully helpful -- and which variants we should expect to see first. Mattel's relations with collectors has improved immensely since they first got the DC license but there's still a lot of work that can be done in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:02 am 
3 3/4"

yeah I dont like Chase figures either but if its one I really want Ill go that extra yard for it.I have to order all my DC stuff online/Ebay anyway so it makes no difference to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:53 am 
Santos L. Halper

This is just a guess...but I have a VERY SNEAKING suspicion that the Sinestro Corp Sinestro will be more readily available than we think...I predict a fairly even pack out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:28 am 
3 3/4"

Ghost6 wrote:
This is just a guess...but I have a VERY SNEAKING suspicion that the Sinestro Corp Sinestro will be more readily available than we think...I predict a fairly even pack out.

hopefully so-Ill be getting both so the easier the better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:49 pm 
Prototype

JOKERFC wrote:
Ghost6 wrote:

hopefully so-Ill be getting both so the easier the better

Yeah, I'm getting both too so I really hope it's 50/50 distrubution.