Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:30 am 
Prototype

JuliusMarx wrote:
The reason they are putting the news in the "Toy Fair" edition of Toy Fare is becasue that is the one issue that will be seen by the most "industry" people as it is given away at Toy Fair.

This is the issue that the marketing guys have sunk a lot of $$ into ads so they want to show some exclusive content.

The development team knows what supporters of the line we are, but it's a big company and with lots of departments.

D.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:12 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

ToyOtter wrote:
No worries. But fans needs to also understand that there are reasons behind most decisions, whether they are logical or not.

Understood. Except where a Justice League Unlimited Green Lantern Hal Jordan is concerned :D

And I think I've said this before elsewhere on the AFI forums, but doesn't it scare anyone that the buyers hold a hell of a lot of power? Especially when, from everything I read and hear, these buyers are usually clueless as to what they're buying? "Christopher Reeves is Superman, BIFF, POW, WHAM is what Batman's all about, and boys don't want Wonder Woman dolls."

As always, thanks for the response, guys :!:

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:38 pm 
Crime Against Nature

I followed up finally with some more info:

http://actionfigureinsider.com/ottertor ... et-enough/

I meant to post this last week, but then we wen't down and work got busy, etc. etc.

Life delights in thwarting my blogging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:55 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Hmm, just read your blog, so pretty much what you are saying is they would talk to us if Chip weren't here asking them to talk to us.

:lol:

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:10 pm 
Crime Against Nature

That is exactly what I'm saying!

:)

Just kidding, buddy!

J.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:29 am 
Factory Worker

As someone in the ad industry who knows the value of timing the release of information and the impact of trade magazines (or in Toyfare's case, what passes for it) on Buyers, I understand the need to hold back news.

I totally agree with keeping your cards to yourself.

Here's the thing though:

1) There is huge speculation that JLU is dead. This is compounded by the admittedly lackluster distribution of product in the US and here in Asia. Not a lot of shelf space is given to JLU anymore, and what little is there hasn't been refreshed for (in some cases) almost a year. It paints the image of poor market performance and weak retailer support.

2) Mattel took a huge blow in the form of recalls last year. Speculation woudld mount that if they needed to cut corners, it would have to be on a poor performing line. Possibly one that entails licensing fees and hence

3) The cartoon ended in 2006.

Put those three together and you get doomsayers procaliming the end of the JLU. But then there's also this:

4) Toyguru and company also have to hold back on saying "JLU is alive and well" unless the line has been sold to a buyer. And even if there were, that would need to be an industry secret. People sign huge contracts of nondisclosure on that because it is a competitive market and you don't want your rival retailer knowing too much your new product line and give them a head start on coming up with a counter program.

All this only adds fuel to the fires of anxiety of people who have a lot of emotional investment in he product.

Now, Mattel has an ASK MATTEL forum. That's already showing they listen and give us information WHEN they can. If they don't answer, there is probably a good reason they don't.

Won't stop me from asking though cause I know they're trying to do something about it even when they a) fail or b) can't tel us what.

Am I defending anyone? No this is just my analysis of the situation. This is how things are. It's pretty much a catch22.

I agree with most of what Jason said on his blog, but I do think the suits give bigger credence to the market on these forums than Jason thinks they do. There are figures there influenced by our cries for them. We can only thank Toy Guru and crew for fighting to get these in our hands.

Doesn't make me stop thinking that Mattel's distribution and sales departments suck.

===

By the way Jason, thanks for the link to Godin's blog. It took me forever, but I finally got around to reading Purple Cow recently and I loved it. Bookmarked his blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:38 am 
Crime Against Nature

JamesJesse wrote:

Am I defending anyone? No this is just my analysis of the situation. This is how things are. It's pretty much a catch22.

Yeah, this is pretty much my feeling, too. I just feel the need to say what most toy company guys aren't allowed to say so that folks know that there are reasons they aren't seeing for what happens.

I'm not necessarily saying that those reasons are right, but the people up top think they are.

JamesJesse wrote:
I agree with most of what Jason said on his blog, but I do think the suits give bigger credence to the market on these forums than Jason thinks they do. There are figures there influenced by our cries for them. We can only thank Toy Guru and crew for fighting to get these in our hands.

Oh, I think Mattel has done an amazing job in fan relations in the last few years, and I know that the team there does very much listen to the board, etc. But company policy hasn't really changed to reflect that, and we're just lucky that guys like ToyGuru and Texas Ranger are fans. The next guy might not be, and then we're back to the same old, same old.

JamesJesse wrote:
By the way Jason, thanks for the link to Godin's blog. It took me forever, but I finally got around to reading Purple Cow recently and I loved it. Bookmarked his blog.

For some reason, Purple Cow really made the rounds a few years ago. I've only read a couple other of his books, but i do like reading his blog for nifty insights.

J.