Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The POOP on the new Man-Thing movie...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:55 pm 
Tis' but a pup

All right folks... Here's the POOP on the Man-Thing movie...

The SCI FI Channel paid a mere PITTANCE for this movie. That means the producers opted to debut it on the SCI FI Channel for the same fee the Channel gave their grade Z MANSQUITO (and it ain't a lot!) before the producers release MAN-THING Direct-to-Video. The Direct-to-video choice means that no feature film distributor-- not even LION'S GATE which released House of 1,000 Corpses-- would distribute it. And it's a movie based on a Marvel Character! Why did everyone pass? Because the movie is Swamp poo!

Why is it Swamp Poo? Some reasons...

Director Brett Leonard's recent Emmy-caliber work-- namely T-REX: BACK TO THE CRETACEOUS! Brett was "hot" in the 1990s-- now he's Joe Low-Budget. Wha Happen???

Ted Sallis is NOWHERE in this film. Man Thing is a bad guy, some spirit of the swamp that fights evil businessmen polluting the swamp. Like Captain Planet. Only swampier. And evil-ler.

You can't name ONE star in the film! Not one! Even Swamp Thing had Adrienne Barbeaux and swishy old Louis Jordan!

Financially, the film is a mess. It almost can't break even. The rights to Man-Thing are well into the 6 figure range. The DVD sales might not even cover Executive Producer Avi Arad's salary! Unless they shot it SUPER-cheap-- they need the foreign sales to put this movie in the black. US alone CANNOT do it for them. I hope it sold well in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, and France! Otherwise, it's a big honking tax write-off for somebody.

The worrisome part is, without Laurie Ziskin and Sam Raimi, Avi Arad's film producer record is pretty spotty. And Marvel and the Banks just gave him a $600 million loan!

Man-Thing's not the only one who knows fear-- Captain America's sweating serious bullets-- he could be owned by a bank in a couple years!

Cubanzod

P.S. Seriously, hopefully Avi is learning from these recent missteps as a film producer-- or I fear for the future of Cap and the Avengers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:14 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

So, essentially this film will be right in line (quality-wise) with the rest of Sci-Fi's "Original Pictures". (The exceptions being the recent BSG mini-series, Dune, and imports like Dog Soldiers.)

Sigh....

I saw the trailer for this the other night and it just screamed "cheesy horror movie" to me. I'll most likely tape it and watch it later-- just so I can fast forward through the bits that will make me cry otherwise.

Man-Thing is still an odd choice for a solo movie.