Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:02 am 
Factory Worker
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 806
marillion wrote:
Azrael24 wrote:
i dont think this will help cheetah, she's always been a top choice for figures


I'm quite certain Cheetah will be shown at SDCC.

Peace,

Chip

i hope so but im not going to be surprised if she's not there


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 am 
User avatar
The Last Word
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3565
Location: Stately Wayne Manor
superfriend wrote:
I'm shocked that people voted for Waller in a line based upon Super Heroes in Super Hero costumes.

Who's next Eiling? Prof Hamilton? Jimmy Olsen? Lex in a suit?
:lol:

Costumes!

And I find it odd that Captain Cold or Doctor Mid-Nite would get more votes than Batman Beyond, that Hourman would get more votes than Vandal Savage, or that Gypsy could tie Amanda Waller or get more votes than Harley. With this line, I've always been more interested in a character's importance to the universe than his/her costume.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:53 pm 
User avatar
Former King of Posts
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10589
Location: Happy Harbor, RI
Before season 5, I chocked up demand for Captain Cold to the Challenge of the Superfriends/Legion of Doom fans. Then he got some screen time in the Flash museum episode.

As for Batman Beyond, he had a whole line from Hasbro. Sure, there were not very many different characters in it, but I think they made a dozen versions of that Batman. I've got one on display with my JLU most of the time. Not much need for a new one.

DrMidnite and Hourman have baffled me since the first poll. No screen time for either one that I can remember. Hourman probably gets a bump from the announcement a year or so ago about the 10" Hourman and the collective cry of the fans: 'there must be a 4" version coming'. DrMidnight? rabid JSA fans. the only thing I can think of.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:23 pm 
User avatar
The Last Word
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3565
Location: Stately Wayne Manor
superfriend wrote:
As for Batman Beyond, he had a whole line from Hasbro. Sure, there were not very many different characters in it, but I think they made a dozen versions of that Batman. I've got one on display with my JLU most of the time. Not much need for a new one.

I've got plenty of need. Don't care for any of the Hasbro figures, and I'd like something closer to the scale of Mattel's figures, even if they fail to stay within it themselves sometimes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:07 am 
User avatar
Super Amigo Fantastico!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8292
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
superfriend wrote:
As for Batman Beyond, he had a whole line from Hasbro. Sure, there were not very many different characters in it, but I think they made a dozen versions of that Batman. I've got one on display with my JLU most of the time. Not much need for a new one.


So you're fine with it being out of scale and not even in the same style as the JLU line? With my OCD I doubt I'd be able to handle that. :)

Peace,

Chip

_________________
WANTED (all MOC) : Kenner "Free Poster Offer" Brainiac, Playful Super Amigos Brainiac, Trilingual Brainiac (without poster sticker), Lili Ledy Super Poderes Brainiac, Nibo Brainiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:34 am 
User avatar
Former King of Posts
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10589
Location: Happy Harbor, RI
When I have them on display, the STAS Metallo, BB Batman, and BTAS Mr. Freeze are right there with the JLU. So yes, I have Metallo, Joker, Harley, Poison Ivy, etc all taken care of.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 474
Caped Crusader wrote:
And I find it odd that Captain Cold or Doctor Mid-Nite would get more votes than Batman Beyond, that Hourman would get more votes than Vandal Savage, or that Gypsy could tie Amanda Waller or get more votes than Harley. With this line, I've always been more interested in a character's importance to the universe than his/her costume.

superfriend wrote:
Before season 5, I chocked up demand for Captain Cold to the Challenge of the Superfriends/Legion of Doom fans. Then he got some screen time in the Flash museum episode. . . .

DrMidnite and Hourman have baffled me since the first poll. No screen time for either one that I can remember. Hourman probably gets a bump from the announcement a year or so ago about the 10" Hourman and the collective cry of the fans: 'there must be a 4" version coming'. DrMidnight? rabid JSA fans. the only thing I can think of.


I think both of you are forgetting that for a long time the JLU line was (and is still, for many of us) the de facto DC Universe line. For years the only DCU characters available were in this scale (or, as with the Hasbro figures, one very similar), and so for many of us the chance to have figures important to the history of the DCU (or just important to our fave comics) trumps whether they were on this one cartoon or not. This line was always bigger than the cartoon it came from.

I think that's also why the votes about which direction the line should take was so overwhelmingly weighted towards non-show related characters (DCU - no restrictons @ 50 votes, JLU comic book @ 26 votes -- considering the JLU comic was a little more than a place where DCU characters could appear in cartoon form with no restrictions, these two aren't that different). In fact, the top two choices almost surpass all the others combined.

To me, it doesn't matter how important a character was to the cartoon, and honestly, it never has. It's why I was bummed we were only limited to the show-related characters in this poll. But given that we were limited to characters from the show, my choices came from the marginal characters on the show that are more important in the DC's comic books. And I'm guessing from the results that I'm not alone.

D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 am 
User avatar
The Last Word
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3565
Location: Stately Wayne Manor
superfriend wrote:
When I have them on display, the STAS Metallo, BB Batman, and BTAS Mr. Freeze are right there with the JLU. So yes, I have Metallo, Joker, Harley, Poison Ivy, etc all taken care of.

I have the Hasbro Metallo behind some Mattel villains, so he's there, but mostly out of sight. That's partly because he's so out of scale, and partly because his look is so far off from what it should be. Harley is next to my JLU Joker, but only because it's the only Harley I can get. I'd gladly throw the Hasbro figure in the garbage if Mattel would release a proper one. Terry and Ivy? Not even close. The only Hasbro figure I honestly like having in my display is the latest Mr. Freeze they released.

stonehd wrote:
This line was always bigger than the cartoon it came from.

Maybe "bigger" for you, but that's a pretty misleading statement. If Mattel's sales were anywhere near the show's ratings, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, as they'd have been rushing to crank out every character DC would approve. Polls wouldn't even be necessary. To me, the storytelling and character designs from the DCAU are far more important than the plastic. Besides, when the line began, it consisted of seven characters.

Anyway, for my money, the thirst for characters from the DCU is better quenched by DC Direct's offering than from this line. On the other hand, DCD's Question wouldn't satisfy my desire for an animated style figure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:21 pm 
User avatar
Super Amigo Fantastico!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8292
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
stonehd wrote:
To me, it doesn't matter how important a character was to the cartoon, and honestly, it never has. It's why I was bummed we were only limited to the show-related characters in this poll. But given that we were limited to characters from the show, my choices came from the marginal characters on the show that are more important in the DC's comic books. And I'm guessing from the results that I'm not alone.


Well, that's too bad that you voted that way, because the poll was set up the way it was due to Scott's comments on the line. JLU the show would be 'finished' first, and then they'd branch out to the DCU in that style possibly in later 2009.

So, as far as what they're working on now, it's all JLU-related, with development for the future (I believe "second half of 2009" was the quote) to slowly branch out into the DCU in animated style.

Our next poll will probably be wide-open depending on the news and images from SDCC.

There *was* a method to the madness. :D

Peace,

Chip

_________________
WANTED (all MOC) : Kenner "Free Poster Offer" Brainiac, Playful Super Amigos Brainiac, Trilingual Brainiac (without poster sticker), Lili Ledy Super Poderes Brainiac, Nibo Brainiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:29 pm 
User avatar
Super Amigo Fantastico!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8292
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
You're definitely less bothered about it than I, Erik. :D

...because to me, THIS :

Image

...is absolutely nowhere NEAR this :

Image

Peace,

Chip

_________________
WANTED (all MOC) : Kenner "Free Poster Offer" Brainiac, Playful Super Amigos Brainiac, Trilingual Brainiac (without poster sticker), Lili Ledy Super Poderes Brainiac, Nibo Brainiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:37 am 
User avatar
Former King of Posts
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10589
Location: Happy Harbor, RI
Chip,
if memory serves, Hasbro did finally make a figure in those colors in wave 3.

_________________
Read my latest AFi blog:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/blog ... perfriend/
You might enjoy it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:03 am 
User avatar
Corporate Spin Monkey
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2391
Location: Kent, England
Yeah they did do an all black BB figure, but the sculpt was still the same, all bulky and ripped. The Batman Beyond line from Hasbro was completely off in style from the show. Thats why I hope Mattel do start making BB characters that were in JLU as they would get the look right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 am 
User avatar
Super Amigo Fantastico!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8292
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
elvis8batman wrote:
Yeah they did do an all black BB figure, but the sculpt was still the same, all bulky and ripped. The Batman Beyond line from Hasbro was completely off in style from the show. Thats why I hope Mattel do start making BB characters that were in JLU as they would get the look right.


This.

Peace,

Chip :)

_________________
WANTED (all MOC) : Kenner "Free Poster Offer" Brainiac, Playful Super Amigos Brainiac, Trilingual Brainiac (without poster sticker), Lili Ledy Super Poderes Brainiac, Nibo Brainiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:39 am 
User avatar
shirtless hugger
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1270
Location: Eugene, OR
Here's the black Kenner version:

Image

It was a huge improvement over the initial clear-blue version, but still off-model. I love every single one of my Batman Beyond figures, but i'd love for Mattel to take a crack at a JLU verison.

_________________
My DCAU Collection 1/30 - All 2011 JLU sets added!
DC Universe 12/15 - DC and Batman Unlimited!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:55 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 474
Caped Crusader wrote:
stonehd wrote:
This line was always bigger than the cartoon it came from.

Maybe "bigger" for you, but that's a pretty misleading statement. If Mattel's sales were anywhere near the show's ratings, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, as they'd have been rushing to crank out every character DC would approve. Polls wouldn't even be necessary. To me, the storytelling and character designs from the DCAU are far more important than the plastic. Besides, when the line began, it consisted of seven characters.

Anyway, for my money, the thirst for characters from the DCU is better quenched by DC Direct's offering than from this line. On the other hand, DCD's Question wouldn't satisfy my desire for an animated style figure.


I wasn't trying to be misleading, nor was I implying the line was more popular than the cartoon. I simply meant that from the time Mattel started reaching into the background characters, even they were using the show as a de facto DCU line, not just a line based on a cartoon. Or else characters like Dr. Light and Obsidian and Nemesis wouldn't have been made. Come on, you don't think they weren't produced because they were in any way important to the show, do ya?

And everyone has a different opinion on which line they prefer. For MY money, I don't like 6" toys and am not going to begin a new 6" line. When JLU dies, so does my interest in DC toys. Again, just opinions.

marillion wrote:
Well, that's too bad that you voted that way, because the poll was set up the way it was due to Scott's comments on the line. JLU the show would be 'finished' first, and then they'd branch out to the DCU in that style possibly in later 2009.

"Too bad?" Why is that "too bad for (me)"? I've ALWAYS voted in polls based on which DCU characters I most wanted, not based on which were more important to the show. I didn't know there was some other unspoken requirement, or that I'd possibly someday be told it was "too bad for (me)" that I voted how I wanted to within the rules of the poll.

Geez, you guys made the poll and said I could vote for anyone so long as they were on the show, then question when people choose folks you don't think were important to the series. If that was the real question you wanted to ask, then why didn't you just ask it: "vote for the figures you think were most important to the show." Sorry I didn't understand the implied rules of this game.

Quote:
So, as far as what they're working on now, it's all JLU-related, with development for the future (I believe "second half of 2009" was the quote) to slowly branch out into the DCU in animated style.

I know that, and I also know that, according to this answer at the Fwoosh, they're already working on Fall 2009 for the DCUC line. So it's not a stretch to think they're planning the Fall 2009 JLU line as well, right?

Forgive me for thinking that last question about where we wanted the line to go was a real one. Seems I'm just doing stinkin' thinkin', and need to get back into the mindset required here at AFI -- "who was more important in regards to the cancelled JLU cartoon -- Tala or Amanda Waller?" I won't make that mistake again.

D.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.050s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]