Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:51 am 
The Last Word

stonehd wrote:
I wasn't trying to be misleading, nor was I implying the line was more popular than the cartoon.

I didn't interpret the comment as deliberate duplicity on your part.

stonehd wrote:
I simply meant that from the time Mattel started reaching into the background characters, even they were using the show as a de facto DCU line, not just a line based on a cartoon. Or else characters like Dr. Light and Obsidian and Nemesis wouldn't have been made. Come on, you don't think they weren't produced because they were in any way important to the show, do ya?

I think there was more to it than that, though. Part of the character selection process involves the creative team and I know they make suggestions based on who they would enjoy producing. Another factor would be who they believed would excite collectors (because Sand obviously wasn't aimed at the kiddies). If sales were strong enough, I have no doubt they'd have produced every character who appeared on the show (pending approval) while that was the limit imposed by their contractual agreement with DC. That would have eventually led to every background hero from the show, but I just don't know how it could be seen as a "DCU" line without Firestorm, Blue Beetle, Sandman, Ra's al Ghul, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler, Bane, Clayface, Poison Ivy, Zod, Mxyzptlk, Plastic Man, Black Lightning, the Phantom Stranger, Adam Strange, the Spectre, the entire Teen Titans team, all the LOSH members who were never on the show, and any other critical DC characters I'm omitting here.

And don't get me wrong, because I agree that it's one of the best DC lines ever produced - and probably the best - in terms of character selection. Part of what makes the cartoon and the action figures so great is my love of DC characters in general, but I just see this line as representing the animated universe.

stonehd wrote:
And everyone has a different opinion on which line they prefer. For MY money, I don't like 6" toys and am not going to begin a new 6" line. When JLU dies, so does my interest in DC toys. Again, just opinions.

No interest in the Infinite Heroes? Personally, I don't care for them at all, but I would definitely consider that a "DCU" line. I believe this line is - and should continue to be - a DCAU line. Like you said, though, just opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Caped Crusader wrote:
I think there was more to it than that, though. Part of the character selection process involves the creative team and I know they make suggestions based on who they would enjoy producing. Another factor would be who they believed would excite collectors (because Sand obviously wasn't aimed at the kiddies). If sales were strong enough, I have no doubt they'd have produced every character who appeared on the show (pending approval) while that was the limit imposed by their contractual agreement with DC. That would have eventually led to every background hero from the show, but I just don't know how it could be seen as a "DCU" line without Firestorm, Blue Beetle, Sandman, Ra's al Ghul, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler, Bane, Clayface, Poison Ivy, Zod, Mxyzptlk, Plastic Man, Black Lightning, the Phantom Stranger, Adam Strange, the Spectre, the entire Teen Titans team, all the LOSH members who were never on the show, and any other critical DC characters I'm omitting here.

And don't get me wrong, because I agree that it's one of the best DC lines ever produced - and probably the best - in terms of character selection. Part of what makes the cartoon and the action figures so great is my love of DC characters in general, but I just see this line as representing the animated universe.

For me, I don't really distinguish between the animated DCU and the comic DCU anymore -- but that might be because: A) I was customizing my own version of DCU characters in an animated style years before the JLU cartoon existed (using Hasbro Batman figures); and B) I think the creators of the animated universe (both the cartoon and the comic) have done a much better job than the regular DCU folks have during the same timeframe.

I especially agree with you that it was the toy designers/line managers/whatnot responsible for turning the JLU line into more than I expected it could be. Yes, it could never be the ULTIMATE DC line without the characters you've mentioned, but given the restrictions of their contract at the time, I think they did a bang-up job of making it way more than it could have been (producing an even more diverse line than even DCD was doing). It was why I was so excited to see them get the license to (most of) the DCU, and why I was so disappointed they were going to "finish" the JLU line first. (What does "finish" mean, anyway? Different things to different people, I gather. But I digress...)

Caped Crusader wrote:
No interest in the Infinite Heroes? Personally, I don't care for them at all, but I would definitely consider that a "DCU" line. I believe this line is - and should continue to be - a DCAU line. Like you said, though, just opinions.

No, it looks to be an interesting DCU line, but for me personally, the figures look ugly in an almost Super Powers-esque, 1970s sculpting/molding technology sorta way.

Had they been in the same size as JLU, I might would have picked up one or two to fill in the JLU gaps, but in this scale, with that look, it just doesn't interest me. The closest I've come to picking up another DC toy line is the new "Super Friends" figures. Those are cute. Really cute. Still, I don't need to have every DC toy made. I've got my fave line/style, and when it's done I don't see me transferring those dollars elsewhere in the DC toy-verse (at least none of the proposed lines), but instead will channel that energy back into customizing animated figures again.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 pm 
Former King of Posts

Well, Ryan has now bumped every DCUC related thread in the site, so I feel obliged to say something about JLU.

My thanks to all of you who voted in this thread and our prior JLU polls. I do think Mattel looks at these. I do think that polls like this are why we got Hawkman, Fire, Ice, Grodd, why we are getting Captain Atom and the Question. And Giganta.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new JLU stuff shown at SDCC including the Question and the reveal of the Batman and Batvillains pack that was secretly talked about in the panel at NYCC.

The wait over the past few weeks is going to be tough, but we can take it.
It will be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:22 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

superfriend wrote:
Well, Ryan has now bumped every DCUC related thread in the site, so I feel obliged to say something about JLU.

:lol: I was looking for this thread too, I swear! :lol:

Can I get an AMEN! and HUGE THANKS! to superfriend for running and organizing this poll? Excellent work man!

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:37 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

superfriend wrote:
Batman and Batvillains pack that was secretly talked about in the panel at NYCC.

Okay, I must've missed this. Wha...?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:46 pm 
categorically opposed

marillion wrote:
superfriend wrote:
Batman and Batvillains pack that was secretly talked about in the panel at NYCC.

Okay, I must've missed this. Wha...?

He has it wrong. It's the pack with Silver Banshee, the Key, KB Beast, Atomic Skull, and Shadow Thief.

Batman and (one) Batvillains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:40 pm 
Former King of Posts

well, I wasn't there and only heard about it third or fifth hand. I'll plead the fifth.

superman: Silver Banshee,
jla: the Key,
batman: KG Beast,
superman: Atomic Skull,
hawkman: Shadow Thief.

All I could remember was Batman, KGBeast and a bunch of other villains. I really like this set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:17 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

superfriend wrote:
well, I wasn't there and only heard about it third or fifth hand. I'll plead the fifth.

Didn't you see the pic? There's a pic out there somewhere. I have it on my home computer...when I get back home I'll post it.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:08 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I'm home.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:19 am 
Former King of Posts

I updated the results on the first page with tags saying if they were coming from what was shown at SDCC. What startled me is that despite the overwhelming showing of figures at SDCC, how many of our MOST WANTED were missed.

Mattel, I hope you are looking at polls like this. When I look at what was shown vs the MOST WANTED list, the results are disappointing. :(

:) And that goes back to the whole reason why we do these polls. To make sure Mattel knows exactly which characters are the MOST WANTED by their fans!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

marillion wrote:
Therefore, I'd rather it be perfectly clear we *don't* need another figure of the BTAS Scarecrow, but we *really* need his TNBA redesign. :D

THANKS SCOTT!!!

Peace,

Chip :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 am 
5" Scale

superfriend wrote:
I updated the results on the first page with tags saying if they were coming from what was shown at SDCC. What startled me is that despite the overwhelming showing of figures at SDCC, how many of our MOST WANTED were missed.

Mattel, I hope you are looking at polls like this. When I look at what was shown vs the MOST WANTED list, the results are disappointing. :(

:) And that goes back to the whole reason why we do these polls. To make sure Mattel knows exactly which characters are the MOST WANTED by their fans!

I think they will be...I have to say in all honesty that it really does feel that Mattel has been listening to us of late, especially in terms of what fans want.

Since this most group of reveals includes a number of major wants (Question, Captain Atom, Cheetah, Black Manta, the Batman Beyond characters), plus some big surprises...TNBA Scarecrow, Tala, etc. I suspect they may be spacing them out somewhat.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see Mr. Terrific, Kalibak, etc. in the next round of reveals from Mattel. As Chip mentioned in another thread, there's still 18 more figures coming, if the pattern holds! :D