Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The AFi Toy Biz Panel
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:17 am 
Bob Vila

Hey look! A new post in the Marvel Toys Forum!

When I heard that AFI would be doing this panel and discussing (among other things) the unproduced future of LCBH, I figured that, if the rumors about wave 3 turned out to be true, I would be pretty upset. They were, and I am. Jesse, you seem like a good guy, but I gotta tell ya, you guys really f****d over comic book fans with this one. You got us all excited that we would finally see great toys of some of our favorite characters, then pulled the rug out from under us suddenly and with little warning. Not to mention the fact that you started teams and character universes that will never be completed.

For me, the most frustrating thing is that two of my all-time favorite characters, Nexus and Grendel, were apparently to be in the next wave, with a third, the Rocketeer, on the way. In all honesty, I would rather this line had never existed then to have come so close to FINALLY getting a Nexus action figure in my hands only to have it pulled away. I know, it's not what you guys intended (and I'm pretty sure retailer support wasn't there for another wave), but it just sucks. Really really sucks. Long live Shocker Toys!!!!

Anyway, thanks to Julius and the rest of the AFI guys for what looks like a neat panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:45 am 
Excelsior!

Well, I do not think it was Jesse at all; more like the higher ups (which is sort of confirmed in the writeup).

It is disappointing. Series 3, as originally shown, was not that appealing to me. But from what I saw, I am disappointed that we will not be getting Rocketeer, Vanguard, or even things like the Marvel Legends Build-a-Quinn Jet (which was a little underwhelming we seeing it, but I would have still built it).

That's the way it is when lines get canceled. There is always stuff in the pipeline that we are left wishing actually came out. Look at all the Super Powers stuff floating around out there, never to be produced!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:27 pm 
Crime Against Nature

I'm going to do a follow-up when I get a chance in a few days, but the Toynewsi reporting of our panel was shingbling.

They got a lot wrong, or misheard it, or heard what they wanted to. BUt I'll correct it all later.

Jesse and the other guys were pretty emotional about the whole thing. They asked for this panel to be able to explain to fans what happened since they never got a chance to officially tell what was going on.

They all wanted and planned for this line to run 5-7 years, the same as Marvel Legends at that point. They had lot of plans not drawn yet beyond what was shown.

But they suddenly got shut down by people above them. You may have wanted toys, but this was these guys JOBS. Their livelihood. Some of them had to sell their house and move because of this decision, and some of them don't get to make toys anymore hands on, so too bad if you're upset about not getting a toy.

Sorry for the harsh words, but this hit these guys hard, and they don't deserve any crap AT ALL from anyone. Especially from those that they did they're best to make sure you got what you wanted.

Good luck with the Shocker Toys figures. I've seen them. Not sure if I'll ever see them in a toy store.

J.

PS Retailer support was fine. That didn't factor into the decision to shut down Marvel Toys.

Last edited by ToyOtter on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:49 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Thanks for the story behind the story. I'm always amused by the anger people throw at toy companies (I don't think anyone that works on toys wants them to fail, or that anyone tries to do a bad job).

I would love to hear more about this part:

ToyOtter wrote:
PS Retailer support was fine. That didn't factor into the decision to shut down Marvel Toys.

Did I miss something somewhere? What were the real reasons then? I assumed the line died because retailers couldn't sell enough of it and said don't send us anymore (this seems like the case since you can still see stuff from the first two waves just sitting on the shelf at Wal-Mart). It seemed to me that Wal-Mart just ordered too much of it, but I have no way of knowing how much they sold or how it worked out. Interesting stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:26 pm 
Crime Against Nature

We taped the panel. We may put up the whole thing or just highlights.

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:04 pm 
Bob Vila

Jason, thanks for your reply and your clarification. Since I haven't seen the panel, I assumed it was more of a breezy "this is what we would have done" type thing. Your description of the suffering of the MT employees- no snark here- is heartbreaking. I realize that it was unfair of me to call Jesse out by name; of course I don't REALLY blame him, since he's always come across as a person passionate about what he does. I mean, Marvel Legends was obviously a toy line designed by a FAN, and not just a suit. And, of course, those guys loosing their livelihoods is much, much worse then me not getting a toy (although we are talking Nexus... no, it's worse :D ). I really, really did not mean to suggest that Jesse just up and pulled the plug for no reason. Unfortunately, when you become the public face of something, sometimes you get a little mud slung your way that you may not deserve.

I look forward to seeing the panel online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:08 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Great response HP, that was big of you to reply like that. I also had no idea just how it went down at the end, and I thought it was going to be more of a "show-and-tell". The whole thing is sad, all the way around.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 am 
Bob Vila

Thanks, Superfly. I simply read Otter's post and said "you know what, he's right", so it was easy to do. Just because it's the Internet doesn't mean we can't be civilized! :D

I think what's really sad about LCBH's untimely demise is that there really is a market for a toy line like this. I don't know if that market is in Wal-mart, necessarily, but it's there. And, considering that since Shocker Toys announced their Indie Spotlight line, Marvel Toys managed to announce a similar line, release two waves, and cancel it before Shocker has even gotten any product out to stores, I doubt they are the standard bearer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:23 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Dammit to hell! I wanted that Rocketeer figure!

Do you think that Diamond has the will(and the ability) to take over on these, or is the line's future too far gone to salvage?

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:23 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Dang... I almost wish I hadn't seen it. :( Both Grendels looked freakin, fraggin awesome. :cry:

I would love to get the audio, I just don't get why this line canceled, especially after you said it wasn't a matter of retailer support. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm 
Infinite Hero

Howard the Duck wrote:
Dammit to hell! I wanted that Rocketeer figure!

A limited number of Rocketeer figures were made and given out only to people who own the JLU Hal Jordan figure!

J

(I keed, I keed....)

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 pm 
Daniel Pickett

The Rocketeer slide was just a proposal. They sent that over to Disney so show them what they had in mind and Disney wanted several million for the license. No way Toy biz was going to pay that for one figure.

That slide was there to show where they wanted the line to go, not something that was in production and canceled.

These guys LOVED what they did. They are just as big of fans of this stuff as we are, some of them even more than us. It was an emotional panel for them, but they wanted to give the fans some answers and get some closure for themselves, because they have really been mourning the loss of these lines.

Jesse, Damon, Steve, Eddie and Joann (who couldn't be there) are all class acts. We were lucky to get to partake in their creativity for as long as we did.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:47 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

JuliusMarx wrote:
The Rocketeer slide was just a proposal. They sent that over to Disney so show them what they had in mind and Disney wanted several million for the license. No way Toy biz was going to pay that for one figure.

That slide was there to show where they wanted the line to go, not something that was in production and canceled.

Damn, Disney's making a money grab there! I'm sure that Disney in this case was being very unrealistic. Shortsighted and foolhardy, too.

I really liked the Legendary Heroes. Especially Monkeyman and O'Brien. The higher-ups who pulled the plug aren't playing with a full deck if you ask me.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:31 pm 
Bob Vila

I was actually STUNNED to see the Rocketeer design slide, because I didn't think there was a chance that Disney would have gone for it. Julius' anecdote is the response I would have expected. But you gotta try, right.

It's such a shame that the Rocketeer is tied up by them, at least merch wise, because there certainly is a market for Rocketeer toys. I still can't get over that they made all that crap when the movie came out, but they never made the one thing that made the most sense: action figures! At least I've got the Rocketeer Kubrick....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:09 am 
5th Horseman

Well the end of the lines was emotional for all of us. I think that Marvel Legends was a once in a lifetime figure line that we're not likely to see again. The quality, artistry, and incredible value were just outstanding. I know I appreciated the line as much as possible, and all the cool ideas they had were great to see (the build a vehicle especially)!

That Rocketeer figure would have been sweet too!