Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4043 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 270  Next
 Post subject: The ImagiNext Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:05 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

First off let me state that in no way, shape, or form do I expect this discussion thread to be as robust as any other thread here.

However, myself, and I am sure several others, have bought into this line either for ourselves or for our children. I have bought into these figures for my son since the SuperFriends line is for all intents and purposes DEAD.

He loves the Batcave playset and individual figures, of which we have them all. I even just found the new Mr. Freeze and Batman w/ Black motorcycle.

The accessories are fun an easy to use. The scale and articulation are perfect for his 6 year old hands and imagination. Yesterday he sent Batman, Superman, and Penguin on safari with the ImagiNext animals line and the GeoTrax are only a few inches away at any given time as well. (I would love to see a Bat-Plane for the new GeoTrax airplane expansions!!!)

I would so love to see more, more, more become available in this format (although I do recognize that this model seems to hit big initially and then linger into obscurity. :( ). I/We would love to see a Hall of Justice playset or a Fortress of Solitude. I/We would like to see several other Justice Leaguers thrown into the mix. Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Ace the Bat-Hound, villains galore and on and on, all with fun accessories and vehicles to boot.

Also, the newest ImagiNext lines (Beach Patrol and Fire Station) seem to be in a slightly larger scale making it more difficult to interchange the accessories and vehicles. Please help maintain a consistent scale for easier crossover play between themes.

Anyone else out there got these yet? I have even set up the DCIH figures with the Batcave. Scale is not outrageously off (although the styles are radically different.)

Chime in, let us know how much fun everyone else is having with these toys. I'll even try to get my son up here to share some of his playtime adventures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:13 am 
Unbreakable

I really like the Imaginext line. It's one of those lines I pick up when there is a lull in the other DC Mattel lines. I hope there is a move to put other JLA characters, and their villians, in there as well. I little Flash and Green Lantern would rock!
It seems to me that this line would be perfect to put some homages to those old wacky Super Powers vehicles. LexSoar7 anyone? Supermobile? Justice Jogger....well maybe not that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:02 am 
5" Scale

Wait, I'm sorry...Mr. Freeze?

Did I miss something? I didn't know there was new stuff out there past the initial releases. (I never picked up the Batcave but got Batman, Superman, Joker & Penguin.) Can somebody clue me in? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I just saw Mr. Freeze for the first time this past Sat at 1 local Target. NO other store in my area has received anything past the initial releases either. I am sure I was just lucky, "right place, right time" kinda thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:10 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I'm not buying into them, but I do have to say that the toy line is amazing. I wish I those toys were around when I was a kid. I see the Batcave and it makes me envious of any kid who gets it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:03 pm 
Collector Inspector

I've bought all of these and love them. My six-year-old daughter plays with them extensively, and would be thrilled to have a Wonder Woman or Batgirl for the line. I'm even considering customizing some characters -- using other Imaginext properties, I can easily put together a Lex Luthor and a Shining Knight. I haven't thought too much beyond those two, but I'm sure other stuff will occur to me.

I also think the new Beach Patrol, Police, etc. lines are great. I've got several cops that I use as Gotham City police officers. Various other figures from pirate/jungle sets serve as henchmen for Joker and Penguin. The more streamlined heads on the police/fire line will lend themselves pretty well to customizing, I think.

The other nice thing is the diversity of playsets. Batman and Robin can investigate the Joker's new lair, my Imaginext Castle (a VERY nice piece that I got on clearance -- one of the best toy purchases I've ever made). Superman can chase Penguin into Gorilla Jungle (ooh, I should make a B'wana Beast).

In short, I think this line is absolutely terrific. I'm hoping it gets more life than the poor Super Friends line got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:03 pm 
Collector Inspector

I've bought all of these and love them. My six-year-old daughter plays with them extensively, and would be thrilled to have a Wonder Woman or Batgirl for the line. I'm even considering customizing some characters -- using other Imaginext properties, I can easily put together a Lex Luthor and a Shining Knight. I haven't thought too much beyond those two, but I'm sure other stuff will occur to me.

I also think the new Beach Patrol, Police, etc. lines are great. I've got several cops that I use as Gotham City police officers. Various other figures from pirate/jungle sets serve as henchmen for Joker and Penguin. The more streamlined heads on the police/fire line will lend themselves pretty well to customizing, I think.

The other nice thing is the diversity of playsets. Batman and Robin can investigate the Joker's new lair, my Imaginext Castle (a VERY nice piece that I got on clearance -- one of the best toy purchases I've ever made). Superman can chase Penguin into Gorilla Jungle (ooh, I should make a B'wana Beast).

In short, I think this line is absolutely terrific. I'm hoping it gets more life than the poor Super Friends line got.

EDIT -- Sorry for the double post. And yes, my Batcave has an Imaginext dinosaur in it. I just need a giant penny now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:12 pm 
Prototype

I haven't bought any of these yet but I'm thinking about it. They do look pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:24 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I've got the Superman/Krypto set so far, just waiting for a lull in the other lines and car repairs to get the rest. I've often read that Hasbro doesn't have a clear idea on who is *really* buying into Galactic Heroes and I think Mattel needs to take a chance based on that bit of info. Use that $6 price-point to put out tons of DC heroes and villains in 2 packs like Hasbro does with Super Hero Squad. They don't necessarily need the gadgets (unless it's something specific to the character, then it's a MUST) so a second figure *could* be put in there easily instead of a motorcycle or whatever... Some sets could be used for a single larger character like Grundy or Chemo. While these guys don't have quite the "cute" factor of Hasbro's GH/SHS/RH/AH/CH/etc they are posable and a lot of fun. (And the Jungle set needs a make-over into Gorilla City ASAP!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:04 am 
serves the Otter

My 4 year old and 6 year old still prefer the larger Super Friends to these, but we have the Superman, Batman, Joker and Penguin figures, and they like them. What it comes down to is that Fisher Price knows how to make great toys for that age group, and Imaginext has been a really great toy line in all its incarnations--Safari, Dinosaurs, Pirates, Castle... I can see us getting a few of the Bat-vehicles, but I balk (okay, my wife does) at the price of the Batcave, so I don't see that coming home anytime soon.

I really hope this line expands to include more characters before my boys are too old for it. Hall of Justice, Justice Leaguers, Wonder Woman and an invisible jet...

Although, I'm 35 and I still buy themm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:39 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Quote:
My 4 year old and 6 year old still prefer the larger Super Friends to these

My 5 and 4 year olds also prefer the Super Friends. I purchased a couple Imaginext for them, but they have just stayed in the toy box. It looks like this line will continue longer than the Super Friends though, so maybe I should get on board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:10 pm 
Unbreakable

I stumbled upon Mr. Freeze at Target today which I went ahead and picked up. It also led to me buying the Batcave and Batmobile...apparently I hadn't spent enough this week on Infinite Heroes, Combat Heroes and Superhero Squad....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:16 pm 
shirtless hugger

I bought most of this line, but what I’ve noticed not only with the Batcave, but other sets is you no longer build the set. When I bought Imaginext sets for my son a few years ago you had to build the sets. Now for the most part they are already assembled, which sort of takes some of the fun out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:34 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

My 20 month old son does love his Fisher Price stuff but no DC Imaginext up here in Canada so it's Dad's JLU extras for him.

I explained that Darkseid was the daddy and Mr Miracle was the baby, they are his favorites now.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:01 pm 
Damage Control

I just posted about a purchase my wife and I made for a kid's birthday tomorrow. Im totally digging the line and with the DC heroes and villains, it just gets better. I was hoping they would have done a better batmobile tho, the nascar batmobile is not leaving the shelf unless there is a custom that needs to be done. I like the fact that there are larger vehicles and Im wondering if that will crossover to the DC heroes and villains of Imaginext.

Thoughts for other playsets

DC
Batplane
Batboat
Batcycle-already done and it looks great
Hall of Justice
Fortress of Solitude
Two Face w/thugs
Riddler
Thug vehicles
Armored car w/bank building
Daily Planet

Civilian
Airport playset with small and large planes
Cargo ship and dock with crane
Space Exploration theme-Mars/mars rover, mars habitat, mars lander+supplementary rocket booster
-Space station
-Shuttlecraft w/booster rocket.
Undersea habitat/larger sub vessels-
Jules Verne-esque-20,000 leagues Under the Sea
War of the Worlds
The Time Machine

Just some ideas, who knows.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4043 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 270  Next